In Hextor's Name (Completed 22 Oct 2004)

Capellan

Explorer
It was his cohort Jav (also known as "the feeb" - which is how we had him written down in the initiative order :) ), rather than his familiar.

The tumble check came off OK, but then he rolled a '4' on his attack roll, which missed by about 10 or 12 points. More importantly, it put him on the opposite side of the enemy lines, right between their reinforcements and the fight.

The reinforcements charged, and Jav went from full health to about -35 hit points.

Mantreus: "That was probably a bad move, wasn't it?"
Capellan & Arwink: "Ya think?"

Ulfgar's hit on S'Slakk, for the record, was a confirmed crit doing over 100 points of damage. I'm pretty sure it did enough damage to drop Kull from full to unconscious, had he been the target.

S'Slakk, on the other hand, was a long way from finished :eek:

Lela

First Post
Those blasted infernal super Con bonus beasties.

Of course, I remember that happening to the BBEG of the campiagn. Alas, He died before his time. Was only able to take out 2 of the PCs. :(

Capellan

Explorer
So, we were supposed to play the last game on October 2nd.

But I am now leaving the country on October 1st.

Fortunately, we planned for this and moved the last game forward a week.

Which means that I know what happened with the Dragon, and you don't :D

Updates will resume once I am settled in the US: possibly a few days, maybe longer.

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's 16th Report - Part 3

The massive lizardman slammed into Ulfgar, hammering him with an axe blow that tore a great rent in the dwarf’s plate armour. Ulfgar, already wounded by the bodyguards, rocked on his feet. Knowing that we needed his blade to hold our position, I called on Hextor, and Our Lord’s energies filled the dwarf, cleansing every wound he had suffered.

The lines of battle were now formed: Dargrim and Ulfgar stood side by side, holding back our scaled enemies. The wizard lurked to the rear, seemingly bereft of any further useful magic. For my part, I stood at the centre. There was not room for me to step forward and join the line, so I used the powers of Hextor to assist us. One of the lizardfolk stood to the rear, firing arrows into the melee. He I struck with a pillar of divine fire; then, knowing that an army lurked outside the cave, I sealed the entrance with a wall of spinning metal blades. The archer had not fallen, but the sting of his arrows was far less troublesome than the thought of further reinforcement for our foes.

S'Slakk's guards were now being slaughtered. Though staunch warriors in their own rights, they had not faced the kind of foes which Dargrim and Ulfgar had aided me to defeat. S'Slakk himself, however, was a fighter of another calibre: his technique was rudimentary, but he had raw power and an overwhelming rage that more than made up for it. As the last of the guards in the melee was slain, he hammered a series of mighty blows into Ulfgar's body. Even the sturdy dwarf could not survive such an onslaught: he fell, the trunk of his torso all but severed in half.

S'Slakk roared in triumph ... and then bellowed in frustration. The blinding curse is a prayer of only modest power, but it is highly effective against enemies such as the mighty lizardfolk chieftain. By Hextor's Will, he was robbed of his sight.

Dargrim stepped before S'Slakk then, planting himself like an immovable wall. With the field of battle now clear, I moved forward, ending the life of the archer, whose arrows had been a gadfly to us throughout the battle. This left only S'Slakk himself. Dargrim and the lizardman hammered blow after blow upon each other. Even blinded, S'Slakk had the better of the fight: his blows came with too much force for even dwarf-crafted steel to stop them. It was only his lack of sight that prevented him from felling Dargrim in the first few seconds.

Mighty though he was, S'Slakk now bled from many wounds. Seeing his opponent was blind, Dargrim stepped back, leaving me room to enter the fray. I charged, Hextor's name as a battle-cry on my lips. My flail struck S'Slakk across the jaw, tearing away the lower half of his face as bone and scale alike were shattered.

The great lizardfolk renegade fell, his life snuffed out, as will be the lives of all those who oppose the Will of Hextor.

Gathering the bodies of Ulfgar and the wizard's companion, I led the other back to Saltmarsh. Once there, I made preparations for the town's defence, in case the renegades did not disband as peacefully as the lizardfolk ambassador had supposed. His information proved correct, however, and the mighty host S'Slakk had assembled did not survive his fall. The renegades dispersed into small groups, or were absorbed into the local lizardfolk tribe, where their threat would be diminished.

Ulfgar, whatever his foolish religious notions, had been a doughty companion. He had also amassed considerable wealth. With this, I was able to purchase the soul gem needed to call his spirit back from the realm of the Gods. He returned, his beliefs apparently unchanged, but the fact that he answered the call at all shows that what he found there could not complete with the honour of serving in Hextor's divine host.

The wizard, too, had grown wealthy. He financed the purchase of a second soul gem, for the purpose of restoring his lost companion. I have misgivings about the wizard's attachment to this individual, who has been of little value in any task I have undertaken. The wizard himself has been useful, however, and thus I humoured his request.

The defeat of S'Slakk left only one task unfinished.

The dragon is next.

In Hextor's Name,

Kull Redfist

Capellan

Explorer
The next update will in fact be the last ... at least for now. Who lives? Who dies? It all comes down to the next post :)

I'm in Boston until mid-December. After that, I may or may not be coming back to the US for up to 2-3 years. A lot depends on visas and such.

If I do come back, any further Hextor posts will be a long time coming. On the other hand, I might be able to find a game or two to take part in, in this part of the world :)

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Capellan said:
The next update will in fact be the last ... at least for now. Who lives? Who dies? It all comes down to the next post :)

I'm in Boston until mid-December. After that, I may or may not be coming back to the US for up to 2-3 years. A lot depends on visas and such.

If I do come back, any further Hextor posts will be a long time coming. On the other hand, I might be able to find a game or two to take part in, in this part of the world :)

Doesn't Piratecat and his crew play in Mass. ? Good Luck out there. Those bigger cities make me uneasy.

GW

Capellan

Explorer
Kull's 17th Report

Saltmarsh
Seventh Moon

To: Bishop-General Kartrak Visehart

Communication from Kull Redfist

Kartrak,

My apologies to the church elders for the lateness of this communication: the rise of the lands after dragon's death took a period of several weeks, and I was unable to prepare a report for them in that time.

I had expected the battle with the dragon to be a mighty contest, but in truth the creature squandered its opportunities to destroy us, engaging in battle with an arrogance that swiftly led to its destruction. I must commend the actions of all those who assisted me in this battle: although only Dargrim is a true son of the church, the others fought with a courage that was commendable in those who follow lesser faiths.

I will not dwell on the events of the battle: the dragon attempted subterfuge, was discovered, and then thought to destroy us by its strength alone. It used its acid breath once, without effect - we would have been fools indeed to come without protection from such an attack - then resorted to striking with its teeth, claws, wings and tail. Both Ulfgar and the wizard were hurt badly in the fight, and I endured several blows as well, but the beast's scaled hide could not turn all our blows, and so it perished.

I feel a measure of pride, however, that it fell to me to deliver the killing blow, ending the dragon's life and leaving the way clear to raise the lands once more.

After the creature's death, the wizard's first thought was to animate the corpse as a skeleton. However, his magic was too weak to affect such a mighty creature. For once, I consider the thwarting of his necromantic ambitions to be a disappointment. The beast would have made a fine warning to others of the strength that Our Lord Hextor has brought to Saltmarsh.

I have nothing more to say of the dragon's destruction, but there is much of which I still need to speak. The rising of the lands after the creature's death was gradual: it took in all a period of some two full months. The borders of the swamp are now back to their original position, and no further changes have been noted in more than three weeks. The changes were gradual enough that no significant damage was done by the transition, and their slow pace doubtless also delayed the Duke of Durham from detecting them, at first. By now, however, he is aware that the 'worthless' swamp land he gave away to me has become of much more value. All indications suggest that he will attempt to gain control of this land as soon as he is able.

I have undertaken another vigil, communing with Hextor, that he might share his power and wisdom. Our Lord confirmed my suspicions of the Duke: he will attempt to take control of Saltmarsh and the surrounding lands by any means at his disposal: military, political or otherwise. I am sure I can rely on the Church's assistance in the event of open warfare, but would urgently request that the church elders consider what other resources they might be able to provide at this time.

My vigil with Our Lord gave me confidence that there are also potential allies much closer to Saltmarsh, should the Duke seek to attack. I have begun to investigate which forces in the land might be willing to give their support against any aggression. My first priority, however, will be to continue training and equipping the militia, and to establish strongholds from which this land can be administered and protected.

Other than the Duke's inevitable hostility, the other matter of major import in these parts is the continued humanoid infestation of the north. While their armies to the south of Fire Pass have been scattered, the creatures still hold sway over much of the northern lands. The results of my vigil lead me to believe that a greater and more malevolent force is behind this humanoid invasion. Furthermore, I believe that some of the orc and goblin chieftains might be willing to co-operate in the destruction of their masters, suggesting that the relationship is not a without its frictions: though of course it is hard to imagine any relationship with such creatures being wholly amiable!

While I am intrigued by the mystery of the creatures that prompted the humanoid invasion, and by the possibilities of conquest and expansion in the north, I currently rate these matters of secondary importance to the more pressing need to organise the defences of Saltmarsh. No expedition to the north can be mounted until the threat of the Duke has been eliminated. It would be best for the people of Durham and Saltmarsh alike if this threat could be dealt with peacefully. Both realms would be weakened by further warfare, which would delay any chance of re-taking the north.

As Hextor teaches, however, the best means of preventing an attack is to make your strength so evident that none would dare challenge you. Thus, my first priority remains the formation and equipment of a well-trained militia, and the establishment of Questioners to watch for disloyalty. The renewed prosperity I have brought to this region should ensure the loyalty of the majority, but there will always be a minority who are malcontent, or simply greedy for foreign gold.

I remain determined that Saltmarsh will endure and prosper under the banner of Our Lord Hextor, and will bring many soldiers to His cause.

In Hextor's Name,

Kull Redfist

Last edited:

Remove ads