• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In search for a feat

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I am in search for a specific feat which allowed you to make an AoO and a 5ft. step to stop a caster if he makes a 5ft. step backwards to not provoke an AoO.

Can you help me in which book this is?

Cheers, Evil DM. :)

MarkB

Legend
The closest I can think of is Eberron's Pursue feat, which lets you spend and Action Point to step into the square an opponent has just left if they take a 5-foot step away from you.

Aidan Milvus

First Post
Well, there's:

Evasive Reflexes from ToB that allows you to take a 5' step instead of an AoO

Or there's

Sidestep from Miniatures Handbook. That allows you to take a 5' step once per round after taking an AoO.

Carpe DM

First Post
I've struggled with this too. Mage Slayer of course is supposed to be this sort of thing, except that it is an entire feat defeated by the possibility of a 5' move.

There are a few options. Reach weapons are a possible solution, but aren't the best, since, IIRC, you don't threaten the "inside" square. So smart casters will just stay inside your reach.

Proving that 5' step is stupid, the other solution is to ready an action to move with the caster and attack when they cast. That actually works pretty well.

I know, anything you have to ready an action to deal with is busted. But, well, 5' step has always been the most-gamed, least cinematic portion of D&D tactics. Steven Segall, in...."FIVE FOOT STEP!" Watch him inch cautiously across the battlefield. Watch him hedge away from evil in order to cast from just outside of reach!

Feh, you get my point.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Reach weapons are a possible solution, but aren't the best, since, IIRC, you don't threaten the "inside" square. So smart casters will just stay inside your reach.

Thats why PCs have access to Armor Spikes, Improved Unarmed Combat, Natural Weapons, and feats like Shorten Grip or Short Haft.

Remove ads