In the beginning...(new storyline idea)

Sienna_Rose

First Post
I know there have been a few posts since the original, but I is confuzled. . .
Why would the 1st level have the fewest people? Unless it's considering the top level to be 1st (like 'we're number 1! - or more like the number of generations in Vampire). I tend to think of 1st as being the lowest level. Anyway, just me trying to understand.

I'll play a gray!
And the hive mind is such a creepy idea, it's wonderful!

I'm not sure if it'd work, but with the hive mind idea, the little brooches (etc) that they wear to detect evil could be a mind link as well. When you get inducted your given the emblem and the person would be able to hear all the thoughts of all the other members at any given time.

Itd prevent secrets and keep out spies even more... It'd also give everyone an extreme sense of kinship and loyalty.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Chaotic_Innocence said:
Itd prevent secrets and keep out spies even more... It'd also give everyone an extreme sense of kinship and loyalty.

And paranoia!
The computer is your friend. Oops, wrong game. . . ;)

The creepy thing about the hive mind is the whole sharing of thoughts thing. I mean, really, do you want others to know *that* much about your inner thoughts? But, then, it could lead to a Stepford-esque happy little 'you are just like us and we love you' type of thing. Oo *shivery*

Darion Mydaes

First Post
Trouble as I see it, is that with a hive mind, just -how much- originality can you put into your char?
You're defined by the thoughts you think to yourself. If a whole group shares them, wouldn't they become rather alike?
I like the idea, of a sort of Mind-link that could share the important things. Like names of the Black team members, locations, and situations. But no more than that, I'd say.
Illithid society, anyone? I don't see whole lot of diversity there :)

Other than that, I seriously love this idea. I'll play Grey Team! All o' 'em!

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
... It'd have it's boundaries of sorts...

I was thinking along the lines of personal thoughts, emotions/feelings be something you have to -choose- to share. The hive mind concept in terms of the fight against black team, so anything you (as a character) relate to that concept is shared. Kinda like if somone suspects person (a) as being on the black team, the whole crew suspects person (a) and goes about proving it so they can eat 'em for breakfast/save them from themselves ;)!

It's all in the planning stages, but what I do love the amulet idea as detecting evil -and- creating the link. But I wouldn't have a clue what the rules stipulate.

I was dwelling on which setting would be best to run such a storyline on, and I'm warning ya all now, that the crt is pretty much out of the running.

As for a "complete thoughts" hive mind, I dont know about you guys, but I think it would be particularly funny to RP. I have a sick twisted mind though, and I love a good challenge.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Sienna_Rose said:
I know there have been a few posts since the original, but I is confuzled. . .
Why would the 1st level have the fewest people? Unless it's considering the top level to be 1st (like 'we're number 1! - or more like the number of generations in Vampire). I tend to think of 1st as being the lowest level. Anyway, just me trying to understand.

Well it's probably just me who does things this way. But when presented with a pyramid, I start at the top and number downwards. Not that it really matters. Perhaps I should have just said 'top' level, and 'bottom' level.

Imagine:
o o o 1st level
o o o o 2nd level
o o o o o 3rd level
etc
Makin' a wee bit more sense?

this could either be magic induced or high tech stuff...but what about skin contact? When youre touching the amulate than your thoughts can be read by everyone that has an amulet..that way you could keep some thoughts to yourself and then be able to tell everyone other ones.

Last edited:

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
Well it's probably just me who does things this way. But when presented with a pyramid, I start at the top and number downwards. Not that it really matters. Perhaps I should have just said 'top' level, and 'bottom' level.

Imagine:
o o o 1st level
o o o o 2nd level
o o o o o 3rd level
etc
Makin' a wee bit more sense?

Yeah. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to make sure. I kept picturing an upside down pyramid, 'cause I just couldn't shake the image.
Hehe - and it's likely not just you who does things that way, since I'm the only one who had to ask! ;)

Chaotic_Innocence said:
this could either be magic induced or high tech stuff...but what about skin contact? When youre touching the amulate than your thoughts can be read by everyone that has an amulet..that way you could keep some thoughts to yourself and then be able to tell everyone other ones.
I think just a command word, or concentration to turn it on. After all, what if the person wears it tucked in (though, maybe the group is proud and would never hide their symbol!), or has a low cut shirt? Then it's back to the sharing everything (which could have its own amusement value).

Elf_Ariel

First Post
I came up with a 5-core faith system for the Devas. Along the lines of modern day Christian 10 commandments...but a bit more flexible. Now I'd love suggestions, even weird and whacky ones. To make em more interesting. These are just 5 I fudged up.

Eg:
Faith in people
Faith in yourself
Faith in love
Faith in respect
Faith in values

The testing system, will test the worthiness of a person according to these faiths. They dont have to follow any particular deity, or a deity at all. The test, is akin to a fantasy tomb-trap setup. The 'ideals' of the faiths are suspended above...I dont know, a pit of crocodiles for lack of a better idea...as children (at least they appear to be). I was dwelling on the idea that they actually be angels taking on that form, a group of 5, set up to find willing and capable do-gooders to help them save the world so to speak XD. Any new participant, stands at the bottom of what's best called an obstacle snakes and ladders course, with each faith due to drop at different times. Because I'm twisted, I want to make it impossible to save them all. (Naturally they wouldn't die...we'll make up an anti-croc potion or something ;-) ) But that's the impression I want to give anyone joining white team. That being good is a choice, and you must choose who to save, and who to leave behind. In order to save one, you might have to leave others behind. And teach them to prioritise their value system. For instance, to save 'love', all the others might have to fall into the pit. Is it worth it? Ironically, no matter who they save, so long as they complete the course they've passed. But then the head Deva knows, what situations best suit them.
*shrugs* Just thinkin' aloud.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
You are delightfully twisted, m'dear. I like that idea. A test and kind of a sorting at the same time. Do you have the strength in your convictions to act, even when it seems hopeless (because not being able to save all of them will make it seem hopeless)?
Cool.

Remove ads