• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Industry Advice for buying a hobby game store

Dragon Snack

First Post
Lot's of good advice here. If some of it is contradictory, it's just the balancing act you have do to make your store successful. It's not a set formula either, I've seen all kinds of different stores that are successful enough to stay in business (which may mean different things to different owners).

How many game stores are there in your local area? It almost seems to need to reach a sort of critical mass...

In Rochester, we have 7 LGSs (within a half hour drive). Yet Buffalo and Syracuse have only two or three. Additionally, Buffalo has had at least 3 fail in the past few years and Syracuse's biggest store recently changed owners.

Why can Rochester support more stores than other cities only an hour away? We have our share of colleges, but so does Buffalo (and Syracuse has at least one huge college). Additionally, Rochester does not have a large military base to draw from, which is normally a big source of customers. My only theory is that enough stores in the area grows the hobby for everyone (and people will search out the stores that they like).

While that may not be something you can do anything about, one thing you can do is to encourage people to demo in your store. While you can do it yourself (as suggested above), you don't want to overextend yourself. Lots of companies have their own demo teams that you can utilize for free. If they don't have a local rep, encourage someone (you trust) to sign up for their team (most give out perks) and help them get started (a little push could net lots of sales down the road for you). I've seen out of production games that still sell because of someone willing to demo it (that part is a catch 22), I've also seen successful (in other areas) games sitting on shelves because nobody is pushing the game at that store.

FWIW, I looked into starting my own store a few years back (decided the margins were too thin with discounting), but went with another business opportunity.

Good luck!

Baron Opal

First Post
I second the...

High quality t-shirt / polo shirt uniforms. It easily identifies employees when I have a question or a problem.

Clean store / employees. Slobs need not apply. A clean public restroom is really important. If it smells nasty or looks filthy customers draw the same conclusions as to your personal hygine and that of your employees. Moms aren't going to let their kids play at your store or buy your stuff if they think you are a step up from being homeless.

Finding a reliable income stream, and RPG books probably aren't it. CCGs used to be the big cheese, but I'm sure that's changed.

As far as franchises go, Neutral Ground was a big one. I think they started in New York and then spread to 12-14 different stores in the Midwest, Northeast and Atlanta. They started out as a simple game store but rode the M:tG wave high and far. Their big thing was running Magic tournaments. Great cash cow. This included Qualifiers and Semi-Finals, they positioned themselves well. Right now I think they sold off most of their stores and retracted back to a couple stores now that Magic is not as popular as it once was.

Last edited:

Remove ads