• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infinite damage at level 1

WalterKovacs

First Post
Is it accepted that you can even teleport things vertically? This power as it stands seems to assume that you can't, or else I'm fairly sure it would have been worded differently.

Either way, it still causes wacky effects as far as casting it on a creature adjacent to a cliff and forcing the creature down.

It used to be questionable whether vertical teleporting an enemy would work or not, but the recent errata (if you teleport your enemy into a dangerous situation (one that would cause a fall, onto lava, etc) they get a saving throw to cancel the forced teleport.

Nifelhein

First Post
Ahh but recent errat can still have overlooked the issue of vertical teleport, but it at least gives us a better tool than we used to have.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Because the DM is responsible for running a good game, there can never, ever, ever be any bad rules ever.

Therefore we can never ever complain about any rules system. All roleplaying games are equally good, and equally worth our money.

Incidentally, would you like to fork out $50 for my roleplaying system? You get all the instructions you need to play: a post-it with "play a roleplaying game" written on it. And it's just as good as any other game, because the DM runs it.

bardolph

First Post
My suggested errata:

Effect: You teleport the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier, and then one ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action.

The attack creates a zone in the space that the target vacated. The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1 square toward it or into it. As an immediate reaction, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares.

jester_gl

First Post
My suggested errata would be:

The attack creates a zone in the space that the target vacated. The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn within 3 squares of the zone is pulled 1 square toward it or into it. As an opportunity action, whenever a creature enter the zone or starts its turn there, you can teleport a creature within the zone 3 squares.

For your immediate reaction you were missing a trigger. I also think that as an immediate action it would be too limited for a daily power.

I think this power might be useful if 2-3 creatures manage to go around the defender and gets to the squishy. This way the Ardent act as a backup defender (his secondary role) and send them back to the real defender.

fuzzlewump

First Post
Is Infinite Oregano worthy of discussion, too? That kind of explains the attitude. A little.
I think a slightly better analogy would be if the entire cookbook specified on every meal how much seasoning to add, exactly, in teaspoons; EXCEPT for one recipe where it just says "Add Oregano." Yeah, you can use your common sense on this, put limits on it as some people have in this thread (Saying limit via the DM takes away free action route, limit because of time it takes to fall, allow it once or twice) but to discuss with fellow cooks what the amount of Oregano they add is, or what the amount should be could indeed be worthy of discussion.

Kurtomatic

First Post
Is Infinite Oregano worthy of discussion, too? That kind of explains the attitude. A little.
Infinite Oregano as worthy of casual discussion and with a side of amusement? Yes. Infinite Oregano as humorless D&D Is-Serious-Business nerd rage? Not so much.

If the OP had engaged in a clearly absurd, tortuous reading of RAW, then I could understand some natural threadcrapping. However, in this case the OP completely nailed this one. Since there are already RAW and RAI solutions, plus the fact that this is essentially a preview (beta) that will likely be fixed before final release, there's no real cause for concern. There has also been a useful house-rules side panel to improve the design of this power (of which I consider Opportunity Action the ideal fix).

Sometimes the player/oregano/rat-bag/entitlement fear on these boards is so thick you could cut it with a knife and serve it on toast. :p

unan oranis

First Post
Re: undue animosity toward the OP

I think what people are smelling is an undercurrent of annoyance, not at the OP, but in reaction to several arguments feigning that there is some unintended ambiguity in the definition of a free action.

"Feigning" being the annoying part.

BTW, bitter nerd rumblings are every bit as hilarious as infinite oregano jokes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads