• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Infinitely Opening Locks and Bashing Doors

Moonglum

First Post
The rules are written that you can retry and retry, because they assume that after about 10 misses they will either give up or take 20. If they take 20 and wait around the time to attempt this, and the attempt still fails, end of encounter....

The reason you can try over and over again is because in real life if you were trying to break down a door you could try as many times as you would like... It's not like a hide check where you have some sort of penalty if you miss your check, and it shouldn't be used that way.

Uller

Adventurer
When I saw the subject, I envisioned a big burly fighter running around a dungeon populated with nothing but thousands of doors and smashing 'em all to bits. It brought to mind that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosimite Sam is dressed as an Arab and is trying to break into Bugs's fort by tearing down a series of doors, the last of which is wired with TNT...

"I wonder of he's stubborn enough to open all those door."...

...BOOM!...

"Yep! He's stubborn enough!"

Anyway...Has this been a problem for you? Or is it just hypotheticall? I've never seen run into a problem with the lock picking and door smashing rules in an actual game.

Uller

Adventurer
Weeble said:

If there are any

If there aren't any enemies about, then who cares? Either tell them they can or can't open the door by bashing it and let them come up with some other way to get through the door or encourage them to move on to something interesting.

Shin Okada

Explorer
If there is no enemy around, no traps, and no time limit, you can break a door eventually, if it could be broken with your strength. What is wrong?

If you want PCs to found some other way to open that door, just make the door very tough, say, DC 40.

Weeble

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Infinitely Opening Locks and Bashing Doors

kreynolds said:

Then why punish with higher DCs just because you know the party might actually work together?

I didn't say I would.

Weeble

First Post
Uller said:
When I saw the subject, I envisioned a big burly fighter running around a dungeon populated with nothing but thousands of doors and smashing 'em all to bits. It brought to mind that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosimite Sam is dressed as an Arab and is trying to break into Bugs's fort by tearing down a series of doors, the last of which is wired with TNT...

"I wonder of he's stubborn enough to open all those door."...

...BOOM!...

"Yep! He's stubborn enough!"

Anyway...Has this been a problem for you? Or is it just hypotheticall? I've never seen run into a problem with the lock picking and door smashing rules in an actual game.

Hypothetical. Actually I'm not sure why I didn't figure this one out on my own. For some reason I forgot that you could just take 20 on Door checks and OL.

Weeble

First Post
Uller said:

If there aren't any enemies about, then who cares? Either tell them they can or can't open the door by bashing it and let them come up with some other way to get through the door or encourage them to move on to something interesting.
right

Remove ads