• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inflict Wounds = Underrated?

Satyrn

First Post
In our last session my players went up a group of Hobgoblins and Goblins including a Shaman. Normally I do my homework, but I figured I already knew it all since this was a 1st-2nd level adventure. When it came time for the Shaman to burn some spells and harass the players I hit one of them for 27 damage (well-rolled non-crit) with a 1st level Inflict Wounds. We then quickly had to look and see if that amount of damage would flat out kill her (which as the DM I would have fudged the numbers to not do that).
This sort of experience - getting surprised by a spell's effect I've chosen to use - is why I've shifted away from using spells from the book when DMing. Instead, I will make up similar, simpler versions that don't follow the standard rules. For example, a goblin shaman in my game would be listed as:

Just like a goblin, with the following spells:
Inflict - melee attack +4, 2d6 necrotic damage. Can be empowered once to attack 3 times (separate targets)
Spirit shield - as a reaction, grants +5 AC to ally for 1 attack (recharge 4-6)
Spirit warg (concentration) - appears for 1d4 rounds, bites someone each round (+4 melee, 1d8+2 piercing)

Of course, this doesn't work when using an adventure as written. I miss 4e's monsters.

If you have advantage on the attack, it starts shining. You can set yourself up by using true strike. (Or better alternatives). A cleric can also easily include himself in a bless spell which he should do anyway.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
60 is the max, actually. Since Inflict Wounds is capable of critting - although the chance of actually getting that is 1 in 20 million (1/20 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10).

COnsiderably more frequent than that in practice, of course, with Advantage, automatic crits (Hold Monster creates the paralyzed condition, e.g.), Luck, inspiration, etc.

5ekyu

Hero
In our last session my players went up a group of Hobgoblins and Goblins including a Shaman. Normally I do my homework, but I figured I already knew it all since this was a 1st-2nd level adventure. When it came time for the Shaman to burn some spells and harass the players I hit one of them for 27 damage (well-rolled non-crit) with a 1st level Inflict Wounds. We then quickly had to look and see if that amount of damage would flat out kill her (which as the DM I would have fudged the numbers to not do that).

I currently play a Cleric and a Mystic (Starfinder), and I've always overlooked the damaging Cleric spells like Inflict or Cause Wounds because I never thought they were worth it. For some reason it never dawned on me that the 5th Edition version is 3d10 for a 1st level spell, probably because older editions were much more similar in strength to the healing counterpart.

Does this make Inflict Wounds the most damaging single target 1st level spell for any caster?

Both of the clerics in my games have used it. One early the other like the session before last.
Both actually rolled crit on their very first use. (neither have crit with it since but...)
After that, anytime someone gets too close, the often look to use it. Even if it never lives up to its hype again, they will both remember that crit and 6d10 damage.

Tormyr

Hero
Inflict wounds is a great 1st-level spell...except in those small situations when it is not.

Two weeks ago we wrapped up Murder in Baldur's Gate. The aasimar divine soul sorcerer used a second-level inflict wounds on the BBEG and rolled a 20. Unfortunately the bad guy was immune to necrotic damage. Only the bonus radiant damage sneaked through. The next round, a solid hit from spiritual weapon did 0 damage as the bad guy was immune to force damage as well.

i had inadvertently chosen the exact wrong monster from the monster manual to stand in for the bad guy. The helmed horror is immune to necrotic, force, and other damage and conditions (and maybe the only monster immune to the stunned condition).

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Both of the clerics in my games have used it. One early the other like the session before last.
Both actually rolled crit on their very first use. (neither have crit with it since but...)
After that, anytime someone gets too close, the often look to use it. Even if it never lives up to its hype again, they will both remember that crit and 6d10 damage.

Yeah, 6d10 is a pretty gnarly option for a 1st level spell...yeah its a crit, but still. That is DEFINITELY the stuff memorable table moments are made of.

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah, 6d10 is a pretty gnarly option for a 1st level spell...yeah its a crit, but still. That is DEFINITELY the stuff memorable table moments are made of.
Yes it was... The first was in a small enclosed space (elevator) and they basically narrated it as the vampire exploding gore'gasm effect drenching everyone.

The other character described it as a series of seismic quake like ruputure or "flesh-quakes".

Neither will be forgotten.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Yes it was... The first was in a small enclosed space (elevator) and they basically narrated it as the vampire exploding gore'gasm effect drenching everyone. Neither will be forgotten.

I am HOPING that the elevator dinged on a level and some NPC's just saw this scene of gore and blood dripping and the players all standing straight-faced at them and they went, "we'll just take the stairs".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads