• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inflict Wounds = Underrated?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
In our last session my players went up a group of Hobgoblins and Goblins including a Shaman. Normally I do my homework, but I figured I already knew it all since this was a 1st-2nd level adventure. When it came time for the Shaman to burn some spells and harass the players I hit one of them for 27 damage (well-rolled non-crit) with a 1st level Inflict Wounds. We then quickly had to look and see if that amount of damage would flat out kill her (which as the DM I would have fudged the numbers to not do that).

I currently play a Cleric and a Mystic (Starfinder), and I've always overlooked the damaging Cleric spells like Inflict or Cause Wounds because I never thought they were worth it. For some reason it never dawned on me that the 5th Edition version is 3d10 for a 1st level spell, probably because older editions were much more similar in strength to the healing counterpart.

Does this make Inflict Wounds the most damaging single target 1st level spell for any caster?

darjr

I crit!
I don’t know about the most damaging, but I have players that dread cultists and shamans because of that spell. Once in curse of strand I had five of the. For a low tier 2 party.

Dausuul

Legend
If you assume a 70% chance to hit, inflict has similar average damage (slightly higher, but no range) to magic missile. However, that average masks the fact that inflict is much swingier. Some of the time, it won't deal any damage at all, but it can easily reach into the 20s, far beyond magic missile's maximum of 15. That makes it pretty scary from a low-level PC's point of view.

As a PC, I usually avoid 1st-level single-target damage spells once we get past 5th level. At that point, cantrips have good enough damage output that I'd rather save the spell slot for something a cantrip can't do. "Panic button" spells like shield, feather fall, or absorb elements; AoE spells like thunderwave or burning hands; social spells like charm person or disguise self; all those seem like better uses of my 1st-level slots.

In a low-level adventure, however, those 1st-level spells pack a wallop. They're also fairly potent in the DM's hands, since monsters are usually less concerned about conserving spell slots. In the last campaign I ran, every PC but one had an AC over 20. Low-level melee monsters could hardly touch them. But any time a low-level caster busted out magic missile, lights started flashing red and sirens wailed. Good times. :)

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
It is certainly big damage potential at that level. It surprised me as well when I played a cleric. I thought Guiding Bolt would be my go to damage spell as, (in my head) Necrotic wouldn't be much use. I was of course wrong. Even using it at higher levels is powerful.

The fact that it is melee was not an issue for me either as my AC was high.

Yeah. Strong spell.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I currently play a Cleric and a Mystic (Starfinder), and I've always overlooked the damaging Cleric spells like Inflict or Cause Wounds because I never thought they were worth it. For some reason it never dawned on me that the 5th Edition version is 3d10 for a 1st level spell, probably because older editions were much more similar in strength to the healing counterpart.

Does this make Inflict Wounds the most damaging single target 1st level spell for any caster?

3d10 averages 16.5 damage on a hit. At 1st, a two handed sword and 16 STR averages 10 on a hit. So you're getting 65% more average damage then an at-will, at the cost of a scarce daily resource. Seems about right.

At higher levels 1st level slots are in less demand, but your average Attack action might be multiple attacks, with a higher STR and possibly other boosters like a magic weapon. Still seems about right.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Pretty sure the max of 30 is indeed the most damage you can inflict with a level 1 spell, by a fair margin. I guess next is chromatic orb at 24.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I've seen Inflict Wounds hit for 3, and I've seen it hit for 30. It's very swingy. But anything that can make a whole table groan with disappointment or scream with excitement is a good thing, IMO.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Pretty sure the max of 30 is indeed the most damage you can inflict with a level 1 spell, by a fair margin. I guess next is chromatic orb at 24.
60 is the max, actually. Since Inflict Wounds is capable of critting - although the chance of actually getting that is 1 in 20 million (1/20 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10 * 1/10).

I’ll agree, it’s a fairly solid spell, and does well cast at higher levels. Granted, it is all or nothing and is more effective on bosses rather than in mob fights. But it’s still a solid choice.

I still like Guiding Bolt more, though. In a party with a rogue, you can get some nice synergy with the advantage it grants.

Remove ads