Insight's "Against the Blackstag Cult" (IC) - Chapter One: The River Barge Incident

Erekose13

Explorer
Arjhan stayed out of the way for the moment, choosing to feel out the crowd before joining up with Erevan at the front. He worked his way through the crowd, insinuating himself in side conversations and whispered talk trying to understand how the villagers assembled were leaning.

streetwise (1d20+8=14)

Insight

Adventurer
Arjhan stayed out of the way for the moment, choosing to feel out the crowd before joining up with Erevan at the front. He worked his way through the crowd, insinuating himself in side conversations and whispered talk trying to understand how the villagers assembled were leaning.

streetwise (1d20+8=14)

[sblock=OOC]+2 circumstance bonus = 1 success!

1/6 Successes
0/3 Failures[/sblock]

As Arjhan speaks to those who show even the slight bit of interest in what a dragonborn has to say, he picks up bits and pieces of conversations. Most are leaning toward action, but some still need convincing. Interestingly, Niles Haylen, the mayor's nephew, is one of the most vocal for moving against the cult.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Ereven thinks back his history lessons. Learning from the past, was vital of being successful to the future. He remembers something about the Cult, a pattern in their assaults over the years. It may lead to them, or their allies.

[sblock=History] 29 Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
Ereven thinks back his history lessons. Learning from the past, was vital of being successful to the future. He remembers something about the Cult, a pattern in their assaults over the years. It may lead to them, or their allies.

[sblock=History] 29 Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]

1 Success!

2/6 Successes
0/3 Failures
[/sblock]

Erevan knows that the Blackstag Cult is fairly new. Whatever their ultimate goal may be is unknown, but Erevan doesn't believe the cult wants to wipe Haylen's Ford from the face of Galandria in any event.

When other towns and villages have been hit in the past, the cult was careful to preserve the settlement's integrity; that is, they didn't slash and burn once they caused the inhabitants to capitulate.

Does this mean the Blackstag Cult has a reason to keep the settlements intact? Or does the cult lack the manpower or time to burn them to the ground?

Friadoc

Explorer
While presuming people's motivation can help you look confidence, Iados has learned, sorely more than once, that presumption can often be wrong, thus he tries to get a handle on the motivations of those on both sides of this discussion. His eyes are watching their mannerisms, body language, word choices, and so forth.

OOC

[sblock=Insight Check]Post #25 - Insight Check (1d20+7=11) - Invisible Castle has hated me for weeks, now. *chuckles* My Passive Insight is 17, go figure.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
While presuming people's motivation can help you look confidence, Iados has learned, sorely more than once, that presumption can often be wrong, thus he tries to get a handle on the motivations of those on both sides of this discussion. His eyes are watching their mannerisms, body language, word choices, and so forth.

OOC

[sblock=Insight Check]Post #25 - Insight Check (1d20+7=11) - Invisible Castle has hated me for weeks, now. *chuckles* My Passive Insight is 17, go figure.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]

FAILURE!

2/6 Successes
1/3 Failures

Insight and Streetwise have been used
[/sblock]

Studying the crowd, Iados gets the sense that many in the crowd are getting hostile, and may start taking swings at the people involved in the increasingly heated discussion!

Lochness

First Post
Regdar was initially nervous when the Mayor entered. While weapons were common place in establishments such as this it was never a good thing when any barged in flanked by men carrying halberds. After realizing he wasn't there to fight though he calmed down a bit while the Mayor tried to justify his inaction.
Regdar stood up again and addressed the mayor using the nicest and most diplomatic voice he could muster, "I'd like to apologize ahead of time Mayor if my manners and speech are offensive to you. I am but a farmer who is a farmers son. I understand that you are in a difficult situation and the choices before you would affect the town for generations. However the fact remains that Haylen's Ford is currently defenseless and there are those who offer help. Now there are those who will fight for this place because it is their home but few are trained soldiers and their numbers are not enough. While you and many others may find the idea of using mercenaries appalling and offensive to your pride you must put that aside and think of what is best for the town."

Diplomacy check (hope I did this right) (1d20+1=16)

Insight

Adventurer
Regdar was initially nervous when the Mayor entered. While weapons were common place in establishments such as this it was never a good thing when any barged in flanked by men carrying halberds. After realizing he wasn't there to fight though he calmed down a bit while the Mayor tried to justify his inaction.
Regdar stood up again and addressed the mayor using the nicest and most diplomatic voice he could muster, "I'd like to apologize ahead of time Mayor if my manners and speech are offensive to you. I am but a farmer who is a farmers son. I understand that you are in a difficult situation and the choices before you would affect the town for generations. However the fact remains that Haylen's Ford is currently defenseless and there are those who offer help. Now there are those who will fight for this place because it is their home but few are trained soldiers and their numbers are not enough. While you and many others may find the idea of using mercenaries appalling and offensive to your pride you must put that aside and think of what is best for the town."

Diplomacy check (hope I did this right) (1d20+1=16)

[sblock=OOC]

16 +2 Circumstance Bonus = Success!

3/6 Successes
1/3 Failures

Insight and Streetwise have been used
[/sblock]

Mayor Jinthaleer Haylen looked down his nose at Regdar as the farmer nervously spoke. As Regdar went on, it seemed clear to everyone present that the mayor's reticence to action was wilting. Perhaps just another push in the right direction might be enough to cause the mayor to change his mind.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
As he saw the current situation unfold, Ulrik reflected on some ancient tome he came accross. He could swear he had read someting about this cult...

OCC: Arcana check + 9: 15
If this is a success, Ulrik will whisper what he knows to Erevan using ghost sounds (he'll hide his lips as if he were scratching his mouth).

Insight

Adventurer
As he saw the current situation unfold, Ulrik reflected on some ancient tome he came accross. He could swear he had read someting about this cult...

OCC: Arcana check + 9: 15
If this is a success, Ulrik will whisper what he knows to Erevan using ghost sounds (he'll hide his lips as if he were scratching his mouth).

[sblock=OOC]

Success!

4/6 Successes
1/3 Failures

Arcana, Insight, and Streetwise have been used
[/sblock]

Ulrik, when he was in Grand Valley, came across a cache of old tomes that were scheduled to go into the depository. One of these, "On the Nature of the Feywild, According to the Studies of Emrilvanthris Toan", mentioned something of a Black Stag. This legendary creature was long sought after by some Lord of the Feywild, but Ulrik couldn't remember which.

Ulrik realized that the people of Haylen's Ford might well be 'scared' into action knowing such otherworldly forces were at work here.

Remove ads