• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's "Against the Blackstag Cult" (IC) - Chapter One: The River Barge Incident

Insight

Adventurer
"I will go with Brian to see Hale. Your plan Mayor and your's Erevan are solid." replies Arjhan. He chooses to remain silent on the subject of pay. He'd not be against it, but would not think to ask for any pay when the people of Haylen's Ford are already hard pressed.

The mayor cleared his throat. "I would hope that my friend Hale is still alive, although..." the mayor drifted off for a second. "I wouldn't think he would part with this cherished medallion were he still alive. He received it in recognition for his service to Lord Finsany."

"In any event, if you find Hale Penzant, dead or alive, please try to bring him back to Haylen's Ford if you can."

EvolutionKB

First Post
Erevan is proud that his idea convinced the mayor of their course of action. Perhaps he still is the leader that he once was destined to be.

Sitting down as the mayor invited, the eladrin listens intently. You never know when information will come in handy. "May I see the trinket," he asks indicating the medallion. The warlord looks over the item, seeing if it has any significance, before passing it among his comrades to do the same.

Not wanting to go outside the town without more information, he asks, "What do you know of these bandits? Have there been any survivors of their attacks that we can speak to?"

Insight

Adventurer
Erevan is proud that his idea convinced the mayor of their course of action. Perhaps he still is the leader that he once was destined to be.

Sitting down as the mayor invited, the eladrin listens intently. You never know when information will come in handy. "May I see the trinket," he asks indicating the medallion. The warlord looks over the item, seeing if it has any significance, before passing it among his comrades to do the same.

The medallion is imprinted on the front with an eagle and on the back, reads, "To Hale Penzant, For Your Service To Lord Finsany". It appears to be made from brass and is pretty heavy.

OOC: Make a History check if you want to know more about Lord Finsany.

Not wanting to go outside the town without more information, he asks, "What do you know of these bandits? Have there been any survivors of their attacks that we can speak to?"

"Yes, there are many," Haylen replied. "I suppose you could talk to one of the smith's apprentices... forget the name. He was attacked on the road from Storm Peak last week, I believe."

Friadoc

Explorer
"I won't speak for the others, Mayor," says Iados after letting the others speak, his desire to speak at the right moment mixed with not wishing to interrupt the others. "But, if anyone should pay us, it should be the miscreants themselves." With a crimson twinkle to his eye, Iados adds, "Of the goods clear of any claim, of course, once the predators are brought down. Or, if all goods are claimed, then a fair percentage of the total value."

OOC

I meant to say this earlier, but obviously I didn't. Plus, it's been a busy week, normally I post more than this and I apologize.

Insight

Adventurer
[sblock=History 26]
Roll Lookup
[/sblock]

[sblock=History Check Result]
There are two things you recall re: Lord Finsany

Lord Enil Finsany: As everyone in Haylen's Ford knows, the Finsany family has been running a farm in the area for several generations. One of their ancestors was a noble lord in the area, the last of whom was Lord Enil Finsany. Enil Finsany ruled a protectorate that included the Surrim Forest, and of course, Haylen's Ford. During the last years of Lord Finsany's reign, the forest was overrun with orcs and goblins. Lord Finsany, with no standing army, mustered the people in his fiefdom, including those in Haylen's Ford, into a militia to take a stand against this invasion. Following a battle in Haylen's Ford (see below), in which Lord Finsany himself appeared in combat, the lord died due to mortal wounds he received in said battle. Since Lord Finsany had no known heirs, the area of the Surrim Forest has been without a lord ever since.

The Battle of Haylen's Ford: At the height of the resistance against the orc and goblin invasion, militia forces under Lord Enil Finsany gathered at the strategic chokepoint of Haylen's Ford to stop the invaders from crossing the Vistus River. Lord Finsany himself led a cavalry group into battle to rout the invaders from the northern flank. Many of the able-bodied people of Haylen's Ford, including many non-humans, joined in the town's defense. It was at Haylen's Ford that the orc and goblin invaders were driven back, and it turned out to be the beginning of the end for the invasion, which lasted only another six months. Lod Finsany, however, did not live to see the end of the invasion; he died only a few days after the battle at Haylen's Ford.

BTW, I have added the above to our Obsidian Portal website.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Lochness

First Post
"I won't speak for the others, Mayor," says Iados after letting the others speak, his desire to speak at the right moment mixed with not wishing to interrupt the others. "But, if anyone should pay us, it should be the miscreants themselves." With a crimson twinkle to his eye, Iados adds, "Of the goods clear of any claim, of course, once the predators are brought down. Or, if all goods are claimed, then a fair percentage of the total value."

"Aye, I agree. We shouldn't take money out of the towns pocket. However whatever percentage of any loot found that is agreed upon I would like in writing and signed by a notary as to prevent any misunderstandings that could possibly arise," added Regdar with a slight smirk.

EvolutionKB

First Post
"I require no writing. Word of honor is enough for myself. The others are correct though. I am a refugee, my entire livelihood has been lost to The Cult. Any source of income is welcome." The Eladrin gives the medallion back to the mayor and stands, ready to see the blacksmith's apprentice. "We'll report our findings to you Mayor."

Insight

Adventurer
"I require no writing. Word of honor is enough for myself. The others are correct though. I am a refugee, my entire livelihood has been lost to The Cult. Any source of income is welcome." The Eladrin gives the medallion back to the mayor and stands, ready to see the blacksmith's apprentice. "We'll report our findings to you Mayor."

"Very well, then," Mayor Haylen replied. "If you are all agreed, your guide, Brian Thorvald can be found in a ramshackle cottage near Haylen Bridge."

He scribbled a hasty note. "Please take this with you," he said. "It will vouch for your authenticity and instruct Brian what to do." The mayor dipped his mark in wax and sealed the note.

"Please let me know what you find," he added.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ulrik listened quietly as the others spoke. He couldn't help but show a smile at the mention of a notary, although the idea was wize and cautious.

As the mayor sealed his not, Ulrik spoke up "Allow me to carry this, as I am used to handling parchments and scrolls". He'll take the note and head out with the others.

Remove ads