• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's "The Silent Partner" IC

Insight

Adventurer
Renna frowns slightly and clears her throat.

"They look like notes from an editor, perhaps. Or maybe the author himself. He...is criticizing the draft, here he wishes to rewrite a scene. And here...he complains about the moon changing into a man, and how hard that will be to do."

She looks again at the scribble, and a little flower of insight blossoms.

"Oh, but I think these are initials at the end! H and then H again."

Renna looks up hopefully at Murnau and Neal.

"Does that help?"

OOC: I am going to assume Renna is addressing David Neal, in English, and not Murnau, in German (correct me if this is not the case).

Neal frowns and whispers something to Murnau.

OOC: Have Renna make a Listen check to eavesdrop on this, if you want.

"Yes, yes, that's fine." Neal says to Renna. "I wouldn't worry about the critic there. He's an investor in our film. And someone who wishes to remain... anonymous... at this time."

Neal takes the script from Renna. "I'm not very good with reading scribbles, myself. I don't seem to have the eye for it. A shame, really, I suppose."

Murnau waves at Neal and then walks away, through a door to an area Renna has not seen before.

When he has gone, Neal whispers to Renna. "There is something very wrong going on here. Perhaps it's my rusty German, and maybe this is something lost in translation, but..." He looks around, perhaps a little paranoid. "I don't want to lose my job, so, perhaps I shouldn't say any more."

jackslate45

First Post
With a scoff of disgust at the playbill, Jack gathers the rest of them up and throws them all into the trash. "Harry Houdini cannot preform anymore. It is probably some impostor trying to make money using his name." He looked hard at Bill, who still looked dazed. "Bill, you sure you feeling okay? You want to take the day off?"

Jack pulls out his own box of cigarettes and offers one to Bill.

Shayuri

First Post
Renne spies a glimmer of opportunity to be in on the inner circle of this movie, and she takes a shot at it.

"I am good at English," she says, "And I was born in Germany. If there is trouble with languages, I could help...translate between you? To make sure there are no misunderstandings."

She glances at the script briefly. "It is natural for investors to be worried about difficult scenes, isn't it? But they need to let Murnau work. If anyone can make a moon change to a man, and make everyone in the audience truly believe it...it is him."

Insight

Adventurer
With a scoff of disgust at the playbill, Jack gathers the rest of them up and throws them all into the trash.

As soon as Jack has the playbills in his hands for more than a second, he starts to feel woozy.

OOC: This is a Resistance check. Jack's POW of 11 vs. (Something)'s 15. This gives Jack a 30% chance of success. Roll d100 and you want 30 or less.

Insight

Adventurer
Renne spies a glimmer of opportunity to be in on the inner circle of this movie, and she takes a shot at it.

"I am good at English," she says, "And I was born in Germany. If there is trouble with languages, I could help...translate between you? To make sure there are no misunderstandings."

She glances at the script briefly. "It is natural for investors to be worried about difficult scenes, isn't it? But they need to let Murnau work. If anyone can make a moon change to a man, and make everyone in the audience truly believe it...it is him."

David Neal takes Renna further away from the door through which Murnau left the room. He continues to whisper. "Look, I shouldn't be telling you this, but..." He looks at the door. "This anonymous investor is getting cold feet. Certain parts of the script MUST go off as written or the entire thing will be an utter failure. The investor may cancel his agreement. Murnau is losing his mind over this."

Murnau emerges suddenly from the door. (German) "Tell the actors to come back. Tomorrow. Only the ones I said. ONLY the ones I said." With that, Murnau returns from whence he came.

"Oh," Neal says. He produces a handwritten list from his jacket pocket. "I nearly forgot this." He hands the list to Renna. "These actors are to come back tomorrow for further screen tests. Only invite the ones that are NOT crossed off."

Renna looks over the list and sees "Face" Pierson, Allan Coleman, and George Martin, among a few others.

If she hurries, Renna may be able to catch the actors before they've left the lot.

Insight

Adventurer
Placeholder for KO Roll...

Jack begins to gather the playbills. As he does, Jack gets a good look at the illustrations on the face. A man dressed in a tweed suit, wearing a black cape, with both arms raised, metal shackles broken around his torso.

The image sticks in Jack's mind. He grabs a few more playbills. He feels dizzy. As Jack stands to steady himself, he feels the world moving, as if Jack is standing still and the earth is moving despite his best efforts to get it to stop.

Jack loses his grip and slumps to the ground.

[sblock=Jack]Jack is in an opulent theatre, the kind reserved for orchestral performances, operas, and lavish stage shows. The house lights are dim, but Jack can see the audience around him. Every audience member is identical: a Caucasian man, well-groomed, in his 30s, wearing a neat gray tweed suit, with a black bowler, a yellow handkerchief in his jacket breast pocket.

The curtains pull aside and on the stage appears a man in silhouette. A hush comes over the crowd. The man steps forward, into the vestiges of light. Jack sees the man from the playbill.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN..."

"Tonight, you will witness something few have ever seen in this world..."

The dream ends and Jack wakes up.[/sblock]

OOC: Have Jack make a SAN check after all that business.

Last edited:

Allan Coleman

OOC: YOu sure post more then twice a week. I had to catch on

Allan sees the playbills and tries to see what it is all about.
*History check*

Onces the man falls on the ground, Allan backs with slight concern.
Hey!
He calls, looking around, waiting for others to help the guy. He is not a man that takes initiative.
Are you allright man?

Shayuri

First Post
Renna takes the list, gives it a quick look and nods her head, though it feels like that appendage is spinning with all the news. Investor trouble? Murnau beside himself? They hadn't even started shooting yet!

She hurried out and called, "Mr Pierson! Mr Coleman! Mr Martin!" Waiting a moment to see if they were around, she finished off the list and added, "Would you gentlemen I just listed come back tomorrow? Only the ones I listed, please."

Then Renna noticed the commotion by the security booth.

"...is everything all right?"

Remove ads