• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspiration

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Grimhelm said:
For me, I was looking forward to discovering the sci-fi setting and discovering my character too. I many times do not think of personality when I start, else the character is liable to become too one dimensional. It's okay to start a character with goals and a set "this is how he is", but I think characters are more real if we don't do this.

And that works fine when I have a story to tell, and am able to get everyone into it;the problem right now is I have several settings I would love to run, but no story. I could string together some adventures, with foes, etc., but that is just work, and I don't want to run that.

If people want to play, then I need at least one person to have a story they want/need played out, because I have nothing right now.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
Well, that depends... Will there be undead in the sci-fi setting? If not, I'd have to rethink things a bit or come up with a different character.

Yes. Would a vampire or lich cease to exist just because technology has moved people to the stars? Even Star Wars (although not techically sci-fi) had undead in it (ghosts of Jedi, mostly). One could argue that RoboCop is undead.

InzeladunMaster

First Post
thormagni said:
Personally, I always thought it would be fun to play an assassin who only kills bad people. Someone smart enough, and psychopathic enough, to really, really enjoy killing bad people (and evil creatures, obviously.)

IIRC, the books that the TV series "The Six Million Dollar Man" was based on had this premise. Steve Austin (in the books) was given his bionics in exchange for working as an assassin. The books were a lot more brutal than the TV show, and he actually killed the villains (it was his job, after all).

I could design the Sci-Fi game around this idea! If everyone wants to play secret gov't assassins from an obscure department, that would let the characters get into the political intrigue I am interested in exploring.

Grimhelm

First Post
InzeladunMaster said:
IIRC, the books that the TV series "The Six Million Dollar Man" was based on had this premise. Steve Austin (in the books) was given his bionics in exchange for working as an assassin. The books were a lot more brutal than the TV show, and he actually killed the villains (it was his job, after all).

I could design the Sci-Fi game around this idea! If everyone wants to play secret gov't assassins from an obscure department, that would let the characters get into the political intrigue I am interested in exploring.

Actually this fits with an idea I have had for years, a sort of anti-A-Team. A super elite band of quasi-:):):):):):):)s who are joined by their love of money, women, and killing. I've wanted to do this for a very long time.

thormagni

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:

Hmmm. It would be equally cool if not everyone was an assassin, but government operatives of some type. I'd like to be the guy from the black ops department :)

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Well, that sounds like a lot of fun. I'd prefer to be a good guy killing bad guys, but I reckon I can play an evil bastiche. Lemme think about it. My original dude would fit well...

Grimhelm

First Post
Don't look at it like you are good or bad, Chris. Look at it as if your character is just somewhat morally ambiguous. He doesn't need to ask a lot of moral, searching questions, if you catch my drift... Think of the guys from Pulp Fiction. They weren't horrible people. They were just people who happened to kill other people without much inner debate.

Fyrestryke

Explorer
Well, is this the route we wanna take every other Saturday? Does Vince have time to run the games inbetwixt his writing, teaching, and wings of war? I'll get out my book and work on a character concept and post it. =)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads