• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inspiration

Fyrestryke

Explorer
During boardgames on Saturday, we were discussing the stuff from the other thread. I think I'm finally getting back to a point where I can commit to a game or two with more frequency. Anywho, I was cleaning the house last night and ran across my "Grim Reaper" mini from GenCon 2006 and was struck with some character inspiration.

I haven't fleshed it out much, but the basic "gist" would be this. I'm going to place it in Inzeladun terms as it's the setting with which I have the most experience, but the idea could work for about any setting or rules system.

Basically, a character who worships Wemusa (or the God/Goddess of death). The character believes that undead are a mockery of true death, but uses undead as a tool for good (rebuke, etc.). I can already mostly tell you which classes I'd take if it was 3.5 DND. Anyways, just seeing what folks thought, if it helps inspire you, or if you want more fleshed out info. Could you see yourself adventuring with such a character or would you shy away...? Would you (in Vince's case) want to DM with such a character in the party?

I guess I'm trying to spark some conversation and maybe through it, we can drum up a cohesive party of adventurers for if'n we go back to role playing. =)

thormagni

Explorer
Fyrestryke said:
I guess I'm trying to spark some conversation and maybe through it, we can drum up a cohesive party of adventurers for if'n we go back to role playing. =)

Somewhere I have an interesting book of various death gods for D20 that explores different takes on being a cleric of various alignments who worship the god(s) of death. I mean, some societies think there is a big reward when you die, you will be in eternal happiness and peace, etc. So helping people shuffle off the mortal coil wouldn't be a bad thing. Ease their passage and such.

Personally, I always thought it would be fun to play an assassin who only kills bad people. Someone smart enough, and psychopathic enough, to really, really enjoy killing bad people (and evil creatures, obviously.) I understand the show Dexter is along these lines (although I have never seen it.) Maybe even do the dirty work for the goody-goody paladins and clerics who don't really want to get their hands dirty. Somebody has to be the gods' hitman.

Or it would be cool to be a Belkar.

Last edited by a moderator:

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Fyrestryke said:
Basically, a character who worships Wemusa (or the God/Goddess of death). The character believes that undead are a mockery of true death, but uses undead as a tool for good (rebuke, etc.).
And what would the goals of the character be? I am still thinking Sci-Fi as a setting.

Last edited:

thormagni

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
And what would the goals of the character be? I am still thinking Sci-Fi as a setting.

My character? Or Chris'? My character's goal would be to do enough killing in the name of good to offset the evil he has done. Of course, he is still enjoying killing, so he is doing evil even while doing good. So, maybe, he thinks he just needs the one really, really big slaying of evil people to loft him over the top. Then he will be truly pure -- covered in gore and bits of evildoers, but pure.

-- although come to think of it, this would be an awful lot like playing the Operative from Serenity. Cool.

Last edited:

InzeladunMaster

First Post
Oh. I meant Chris' because you hadn't posted yet when I started to reply, but it is good you answered.

Also, Chris, I need more than one enthused player. I restarted Inzeladun in the first place based on your initial enthusiasm - and that didn't last long. Jason may have started talking about RPG's again in a recent thread, but has anyone noticed that his "Last Appearance" time coincides with his post time? He posted his question about playing again eleven days ago, and hasn't checked back to see if there is an answer. Its that lack of determination to play among the players that kills it for me.

Last edited:

InzeladunMaster

First Post
thormagni said:
I understand the show Dexter is along these lines (although I have never seen it.)

I have never heard of it. I presume this is a different show than Dexter's Laboratory?

thormagni said:
Or it would be cool to be a Belkar.

I have never heard of a Belkar. Obviously I am failing all my Knowledge (Current Pop Culture) checks recently, as I generally find I have no idea what you are referencing lately.

thormagni

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:
I have never heard of a Belkar. Obviously I am failing all my Knowledge (Current Pop Culture) checks recently, as I generally find I have no idea what you are referencing lately.

While it is possible you have taken too few ranks in Knowledge (Pop Culture), I submit that you are fully stocked up on Knowledge (70s and 80s Geek Culture) while I have taken a few levels of Knowledge (21st Century Geek Culture).

Dexter is a TV show about a serial killer who kills, well, bad people. It has been received very well by critics and has drawn some public interest, but I don't think it is a big hit. I don't watch TV generally, and have never seen the show.

Belkar is the psychopathic halfling in The Order of The Stick comic strip. Even more obscure, I could have referenced Richard, the undead sorcerer, from the Looking for Group strip. Both characters take a great deal of glee in killing and maiming in creative ways, and are only slightly redeemed by the fact that they are doing this in the service of good causes.

Although really, in Looking for Group, Richard's indiscretions are generally ignored by his neutral-aligned teammates (and this really isn't commented on in the storyline.) Here is a video of Richard doing his thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

Really, there are many good reasons an evil character would want to partner with good characters. I mean, partnering with other evil characters means you will get a shiv in your back some night over a minor disagreement, while good-aligned characters are generally more trustworthy. Out of sheer self-interest, who would want to be part of an evil team?

Interestingly, 4e is apparently getting rid of the idea of bright lines between good/evil, so there will be no such thing as "Detect Evil."

InzeladunMaster

First Post
thormagni said:
Interestingly, 4e is apparently getting rid of the idea of bright lines between good/evil, so there will be no such thing as "Detect Evil."

Good. I have hated that spell for a long, long, long time. Ever since a Paladin player decided to use it to arrest people just walking around the streets in 1E, I have hated it - and generally disallowed its use.

Should I decide to RPG again, there will be no such thing as alignments (and I will use Savage Worlds, anyway).

Last edited:

Fyrestryke

Explorer
InzeladunMaster said:

Well, that depends... Will there be undead in the sci-fi setting? If not, I'd have to rethink things a bit or come up with a different character. If it's sci-fi, I might anyways. I was looking forward to the guy I made up that one day...

As for the previous restart of Inzeladun, I really, really, really appreciate you doing that for me, Vince. It was a dream come true, that unfortunately, was screwed up by me being so busy. I think if more people would read the Inzeladun site and it's histories (even if they might be out-dated) they might be more interested in the setting. I don't see how anyone can be interested (truly interested) in a setting without knowing something about it that sparks their creativity. How about laying a brief vision of the sci-fi setting on us?

http://www.enworld.org/Inzeldun

Which reminds me, I need to check on that password. :)

Grimhelm

First Post
For me, I was looking forward to discovering the sci-fi setting and discovering my character too. I many times do not think of personality when I start, else the character is liable to become too one dimensional. It's okay to start a character with goals and a set "this is how he is", but I think characters are more real if we don't do this. Having an occupation is generally good enough for me to envision things. Like Roland: shipwright. That told me a lot about him right up front. Gruff, surly, with a soft spot and tendency to want to do the right thing.

Remove ads