Intellectual Property needing the RPG treatment

Romeo & Juliet - the RPG!!! (Be the first PC to commit suicide in the name of love in order to win. :) )

The Three Musketeers - (There have been some interesting supplements and twisted history versions of this but, a full blown RPG with a focus on the proper historical context...no)

The Transformers - Using a Car Wars variant, of course.

Raider of the Lost Ark - While I understand this was a TSR RPG - it sucked really really badly so it doesn't count. Maybe using the Savage Worlds engine?

The Lone Ranger - Where you can either play the good guys assisted by TLR & Tonto as NPCs or the bad guys where you have to try to outwit them... Other products include the Randolph Scott, Zorro and The Cisco Kid campaign supplements.

The Wizard of Oz - In an alternate reality, the munchkins, animals and other denizens of Oz are locked in an epic civil war with the Wicked witches of the East & West to free the good witches of the North & South from captivity.

Scooby Doo - and it would have been one already too, if it weren't for those miserable kids.

Hong Kong Phooey - Number 1 super guy. (maybe as a simultaneous release with the new Eddie Murphy movie in 2013?)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
The My Little Pony people would like to have a word with you in that deep dark alley...where they're serving cookies!

Yeah, I deserve it. Whatever it is. :)

How about 80's fantasy movies like Willow, Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth?

Willow had a board game way back, several (poorly regarded) books, and rumors of a sequel have been circulating since forever.

And Dark Crystal... oh wait, ninja'd! A Dark Crystal RPG Is in Development | GeekDad | Wired.com

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: An adventurer with an overprotective mother ends up at a castle and gets into trouble, but in the end inspires the nobility to be better.

That was somewhat what Adventures of a Mommy's Elf (Story Hour) is based on. :cool:

We have done X-file related RPGs with the modern d20 setting before. I think we'd turn anything into an RPG if there were enough players and a DM to do the work.

Richards

Legend
I always thought a Dark Angel RPG would have been pretty cool. You'd get to be a transgenic human escaped from the Project Manticore facility in a dystopian America, fighting off Serpent Cultists and Manticore soldiers as well as run-of-the-mill cops and whatnot.

Johnathan

Crothian

First Post
Raider of the Lost Ark - While I understand this was a TSR RPG - it sucked really really badly so it doesn't count.

It does count. It was hit and miss but has some great supplements for the game.

Scooby Doo - and it would have been one already too, if it weren't for those miserable kids.

Meddling Kids RPG is the Scooby Doo RPG without the license. It is a very well done game.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
The Harry Potter series (I know, I know, but that was a very long time ago that she said that, well before, for instance, she licensed a theme park) done with, I don't know ... True20?
The problem with that was she is massively attached to the story and her characters and didn't want anyone else doing things she didn't approve of with them. And second because she was completely unable to divorce setting from plot in order to create a plot free setting guide.

Meatboy

First Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender. All I could think of while watching the show was. "Man! This plays out just like a DnD campaign." You've got your 4-5 people in a party. They become more powerful over time. They face off against an evil empire and lots of faceless goons. Perfect.

It does count. It was hit and miss but has some great supplements for the game.
I don't know, it's widely known that TSR did a ceremonial destruction of the game because it was so bad and put ashes/pieces/something from it in an "award" for horrible games or some-such (I'll try to include a link for it later,)

Meddling Kids RPG is the Scooby Doo RPG without the license. It is a very well done game.
I hadn't heard of that one, I'll have to look it up - thanks Crothian!

Crothian

First Post
I don't know, it's widely known that TSR did a ceremonial destruction of the game because it was so bad and put ashes/pieces/something from it in an "award" for horrible games or some-such (I'll try to include a link for it later,)

Not widely known, I'd never heard of that. But even so does not stop some of the supplements from being extremely well done and highly creative. The rules now would really be seen as clumsy and out of date because they are.

Not widely known, I'd never heard of that. But even so does not stop some of the supplements from being extremely well done and highly creative. The rules now would really be seen as clumsy and out of date because they are.
They were then too. :lol:
The award is the "Diana Jones" award for excellence in gaming.
The award is a stylized pyramid with the name "diana Jones" displayed on one side. (Due to the "In" being folded out of sight.) created from unused product after the license of usage expired. It was created by TSR UK and ashes from the burned product (that could no longer be sold after the license expired) were placed inside the pyramid.
It is not named after the sci-fi author Diana Jones but simply the exposed product name with the unfortunate fold. Also visible is Nazi with a trademark symbol, one of those weird little happenstances that gave rise to rumors that George Lucas has trademarked the word. (which wasn't true, BTW).
The award disappeared from the TSR UK offices when TSR was sold and had been reputedly been kept by a "committee" that oversees the award every year. Rumors of the committee members have included Peter Adkison, Steve Jackson and a host of other gaming elite. As to my knowledge none of these folks have ever claimed credit or responsibility.

Last edited:

Remove ads