• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

intensify spell,

emanresu

First Post
I was going to post a question on the feats necessary to bring empower spell to a 0 cost. Then I thought, naahh thats to easy. Then I ran across this gem of a feat, I had never even heard of it until 5 minutes ago.

So what feats would make this affordable slash cheap as possible? (For a non dragon type)

[h=2]Intensify Spell[/h]( Epic Level Handbook, p. 61)

[Epic, Metamagic]

You can cast spells with exceptionally great effect.
[h=4]Prerequisite[/h]Empower Spell (PH) , Maximize Spell (PH) , Spellcraft 30 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane or divine spells,
[h=4]Benefit[/h]All variable, numeric effects of an intensified spell are maximized, then doubled. An intensified spell deals twice maximum damage, cures twice the maximum number of hit points, affects twice the maximum number of targets, and so forth, as appropriate. For example, an intensified horrid wilting spell would deal 16 points of damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 400 points of damage at 25th level). Saving throws and opposed rolls (such as the one you make when you cast dispel magic) are not affected. An intensified spell uses up a spell slot seven levels higher than the spell's actual level. You can't combine the effects of this feat with any other feat that affects the variable, numeric effects of a spell, such as Empower Spell or Maximize Spell.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
When I'm designing epic casters I use multiple instances of Improved Metamagic to reduce the cost of Intensify Spell (and all other metamagic feats that cost more than one slot level). I'm not an optimizer so I'm not sure how divine metamagic and other exploits might be leveraged for this case.

delericho

Legend
Yep, Improved Metamagic would do it.

Divine Metamagic is also an option, but only if you can Turn/Rebuke 8 times per day or more.

Arcane Thesis likewise reduces the increase by 1. Obviously, it's difficult to use this and Divine Metamagic together. :)

Edit: There's also Practical Metamagic, which again reduces the cost by 1.

Or, since we're talking about fairly high Epic levels, there's the Ultimate Magus. Though to be able to do it, you'd need to be able to cast your chosen spell from one class, be able to cast 7th level spells from the other, and have 14 levels in UM. So that's quite some investment!

Last edited:

Remove ads