Interest Check: Histhaven

Herobizkit

Adventurer
So, as someone who isn't up and current on the 4e paradigm, what kind of a party are we looking at and what should we expect?

I'm currently working on a Resourceful Warlord, but I'm getting bogged down in information. For example, why are weapon types keyed to different stats?

Also also, how is gear determined for level 5?

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
So, as someone who isn't up and current on the 4e paradigm, what kind of a party are we looking at and what should we expect?
Role-wise we have a good mix. Defender, Controller, 2xStriker, 2xLeader. We're melee heavy, with only our Wizard as a primarily ranged character. We'll probably benefit from mobility enabling, to help close with ranged enemies faster, and to help maneuver within the scrums that are likely to develop.

Out of combat, we look to have a good mix of skill coverage. For stats we're looking at Str: 2 primary, Con: 1-2 secondary, Dex: 1 primary + 0-1 secondary, Int: 1 primary + 0-2 secondary, Wis: 2 primary, Cha: 1-2 secondary.

I'm currently working on a Resourceful Warlord, but I'm getting bogged down in information. For example, why are weapon types keyed to different stats?
Half flavor, half mechanical differentiation. Even if you don't have good stats for your weapon (and a Resourceful Warlord has a hard time allocating points to the weapon stats), you still qualify for Expertise + Focus, and there are plenty of other feats out there so you can easily ignore the others.

If you want a bit more ability to invest in your weapon without interfering as much with your build, I'd recommend Bravura over Resourceful. BraveLords only have Charisma as a secondary stat (instead of both Int and Cha like RecLords), and they care about their secondary stat less than any other Warlord build. That makes it easier to have enough investment in a tertiary stat to qualify for weapon-related feats. For example, as a Half-Elf you can easily go (post racial) 18 Str, 15 Con, 10 Dex, 10 Int, 8 Wis, 15 Cha, put all of your level bumps into Str+Cha, and qualify for all of the Axe related feats on time. Alternately, 18-12-13-10-8-15 puts you in a decent place to manage Heavy Blade feats, although you'd need to divert a couple of Cha bumps to Dex to get everything on time.

I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to plan on paragon and epic development though; Insight, any idea how many levels you plan to have this go?

t~

Insight

Adventurer
I'm not sure how worthwhile it is to plan on paragon and epic development though; Insight, any idea how many levels you plan to have this go?

"Histhaven" will likely go to 10th level. Anything beyond that will be based on whether people want to continue. I imagine that adventuring beyond Histhaven would be into the rest of the Shadowfell, unless something more compelling turns up.

Remove ads