• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interest Check, TSR Marvel Super Heroes!

Talliw

Explorer
And I'm asking about RESISTANCE and Body Armor. If you get attacked by an Amazing Cold ray and have Remarkable Resistance to Cold and Good Body Armor. How many hit points do you lose?

To use this example you would take 20 points of damage from the cold ray.

If you only had Body Armor you would take 50 points of damage because you would shift columns four to the left since the damage is non physical.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Talliw

Explorer
Also....in regards to the setting, we’ll just go with present day Marvel Universe. Don’t worry about canon, we’ll do our own thing in regards to establishing relationships etc. The beauty of comics is that we don’t need to really pick a theme per se; we can do all the periods I outlined if we wished from space to time travel to gritty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, do you have a base city chosen yet? I need to pick a University.

(I also need to modify the moon on my character image. I forgot all about Moon Knight's look. :) )

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, I need to understand the Force Field power, once and for all. Let me summarize what I think I know about it from reading these rules and some of the posts here...and you can tell me where I have it wrong.

1) It works like body armor in how it blocks damage, except that it suffers no reduction in effect for 'energy' damage or other exotic types of damage.

2) It can be created as a sort of 'suit' around oneself, or expanded to cover an area and shield multiple subjects. If limited to personal size, it does not incur the penalty to Agility that the Body Armor power does.

3) It requires constant concentration to maintain. This concentration makes it impossible to do anything else during one's turn other than move.

4) If the force field is breached, the creating hero must make a stat roll to avoid being temporarily incapacitated. This occurs in addition to any effects of the damage.

5) There isn't a hard limit on how long a force field can be maintained if it isn't destroyed, however it limits any kind of interaction through it so even normal daily functions like opening doors, picking up items, eating, etc are impeded while it's active.

One question I haven't noticed being asked yet is if Force Fields and Body Armor are cumulative. That is, if I have 20 points of Body Armor and 20 points of Force Field, and I'm hit by a 50 point attack (and succeed my stat roll so losing the field doesn't knock me for a loop), am I taking 10 damage or 30 damage?

Talliw

Explorer
I’m sleep deprived but yes this looks correct.

In regards to 3, that seems right, although taking a cue from the comics I think you can at least speak, if...only...in ...a..dramatic way. And of course there is a Psyche Check to extend the force field.

As for 5. I’m assuming the different armors give “layers” of protection. If your example involved being shot at with guns, you’d only take 10 points. If it were Energy or something exotic you’d probably take 30 since the Body Armor would shift left 4 columns.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
Ah yeah, I meant concentration precluded another 'game action,' not RP things like conversation. :)

Point's well taken though.

Hm. So there could be a value in having both powers, reflecting a sort of reflexive 'passive' telekinetic defense that's bought as body armor...but is less effective against energy (perhaps because the speed of such attacks overcomes the reflexes that trigger the defense), as well as an active defense that precludes action but is harder to overcome...

Is it still just the two of us? A brick/energy thrower and a mutant/hi-def/weapon-user?
I know tglassy dropped out. But wasn't there interest from someone else?

Remove ads