Interpretation of rules

IcyCool

First Post
RIPnogarD said:
So. Do I have this right?
1) You always get the -4 if shooting into a melee of two or more.
2) You can NOT hit your ally, unless he is in some way between you and your target, =(cover).
3) You always get the -4 and still have a chance of hitting an ally in a grapple.

1) Yes, unless you have the precise shot feat.
2) No, unless you are using the variant rule "Striking Cover"
3) Yes, unless you have the precise shot feat, which negates the -4, but not the chance to hit your ally (only in with a ranged weapon, you have no chance of striking your ally in a grapple with a melee attack).

IcyCool

First Post
RIPnogarD said:
Thank's to all for the quick reply!

Note that your ally could also be providing cover to the enemy, which would grant the enemy a cover bonus to its AC. This cover bonus isn't negated by precise shot.

Zandel

First Post
I missed that rule update in V3.5. In 3.0 you took the -4 with no choice and if you missed you did the math. If you would have hit the target without the -4 then you hit your ally instead.

jigokusabre

First Post
Alternate Rules

An alternate rule used at tables I play at, is that on a natural 1, you threaten to hit another character adjecent to the intended target.

I play it a little different. There is a threat range based on how many characters are in melee with the intended target. If you miss with a roll equal to the number of allies in melee with the intended target, you threaten to hit one of those allies.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
IcyCool said:
Note that your ally could also be providing cover to the enemy, which would grant the enemy a cover bonus to its AC. This cover bonus isn't negated by precise shot.
But is negated by Improved Precise Shot. ;)

Legildur

First Post
And the Sharp Shooting feat from Complete Warrior reduces the cover bonus to AC.

I have a human Ranger1/Fighter2 with Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow), Precise Shot, and Sharp Shooting.

The last two feats seemed no-brainers when he spends a significant amount of his time firing into melee through allies' squares - they significantly increase his attack bonus in those situations.

dcollins

Explorer
Zandel said:
I missed that rule update in V3.5. In 3.0 you took the -4 with no choice and if you missed you did the math. If you would have hit the target without the -4 then you hit your ally instead.

Actually, I'm afraid you're confusing two separate penalties:
(1) -4 for shooting into melee, and another
(2) -4 for shooting past cover. In 3.0 and variant 3.5 this part can cause striking the ally.

This is very nicely laid out in the diagram on 3.0 PHB p. 123.

Remove ads