Interpretation of rules

RIPnogarD

First Post
IcyCool said:
Incorrect. Correct. See below.

Your firing process should go like this (assuming you are using the "striking cover" variant):

1. Check to see if your target is in melee with an ally.
2. If #1 is yes, check to see if ally provides cover.
3a. If #2 is no, you have a -4 penalty (negated by precise shot) to your attack roll against that target, and you have no chance of hitting your ally (unless the target and ally are grappling).
3b. If #2 is yes, you have a -4 penalty (negated by precise shot) to your attack roll against that target, and the target receives a cover bonus to its AC. If your shot misses, but the attack roll would have hit without the cover bonus, you instead strike the cover. If the cover is a creature/character, you do damage if your attack roll is sufficient to strike its AC.

Thank You! This is what I needed... (I was starting to break a sweat there!)

IcyCool is only correct IF YOU ARE USING A VARIANT RULE.

If you are not using a variant rule, the correct process is:

1. Check to see if your target is in melee with an ally.
2. If #1 is yes, check to see if ally provides cover.
3a. If #2 is no, you have a -4 penalty (negated by precise shot) to your attack roll against that target, and you have no chance of hitting your ally (unless the target and ally are grappling).
3b. If #2 is yes, you have a -4 penalty (negated by precise shot) to your attack roll against that target, and the target receives a +4 Cover bonus to its AC.

The end.

IcyCool said:
Didn't I say that? ;)

Yeah, but I didn't want there to be any confusion. So, I posted what would happen if you weren't using the variant rule. :)

EDIT:

Also, we should Edit your 3b into at least a couple more steps ...

3b. If #2 is yes, you have a -4 penalty (negated by precise shot) to your attack roll against that target, and the target receives a +4 Cover bonus to its AC. If your shot misses, but the attack roll would have hit without the cover bonus, you instead strike the cover.

4. If the cover is a creature/character, is your attack roll high enough to hit the covering target?

5a. If yes, then roll damage against the covering target.
5b. If no, did you miss by less than than the covering target's Dodge + Dexterity modifier to AC?

6a. If no, then your attack is simply a miss.
6b. If yes, then the covering target actually dodged your attack, they no longer provided a cover bonus to the initial target, and you actually hit your initial target. Roll damage against the initial target.

:D

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
RIPnogarD said:
I'm gettin confused here now...
So are you sayin that if my party of four friends is in melee with six goblins. I could just start lobbing arrows into the melee helter-skelter (WITH a -4!) and have no chance whatsoever of hitting an ally?

That is absolutely correct, under core 3.5 rules. Your penalty may be -4 (just in melee) or -8 (effectively, if directly in the way and providing cover).

Infiniti2000

First Post
Two characters grappling (alone let's say) are not technically in melee. You don't get the -4 penalty when firing into a grapple.

Note, you can also eliminate the -4 penalty for shooting at a big creature (part of the creature must be at least 10ft away).

TheGogmagog

First Post
RIPnogarD said:
I'm gettin confused here now...
So are you sayin that if my party of four friends is in melee with six goblins. I could just start lobbing arrows into the melee helter-skelter (WITH a -4!) and have no chance whatsoever of hitting an ally?
Or are you saying that there are other rules to consider, (in the above situation), such as cover & grappling, where there is a chance to hit an ally?

Even with the variant cover rule you can fire into melee without a chance to hit your allies, if you do it right.
Code:
                                /You
                               L
              Ally
You-->             Opponent
Ally->        Ally        Ally
The Opponent does not have cover even though it is in Melee. You take -4 for firing into melee (negated with precise shot).
The opponent would gain cover against shots fired from your ally right next to you however.

Last edited:

Remove ads