Into the Dragon's Maw (Adventure)

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
—There is something... there... —said Faera, even more quietly, irritated by light that came from Ursus' sword—. I don't know who, or what it is... but is big. Or they are... that light didn't help me much there, Ur...

Faera readies her rod and step back to her friends, warning Archy with her toughs to stay away until necessary.

mips42

Adventurer
Looking at the Genasi and the flamebrand, 'Great,' Cade mutters to no one in particular. 'Let's just paint a giant "x" on us, too while we're at it.'
Turning to Ursus 'how much work and how recent? Let's be wary. Until we know for sure, we have to work under the idea that this dragon, no matter how long it's been since it's been seen, is still alive and still here.'

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
A straight back and head held high is the right way to start any adventure. And so it is that Lakeover has travelled. Generally in the back, following a path that others are blazing. As it turns out he was a good way back when they entered the tunnel. Perhaps he had been standing at the torrent falling on him, and he hadn't wanted to get wet. That would be a reasonable conclusion, since as he entered the rod he always carried in his hand had been slipped into his belt, and he was using his shield like a parasol against the downpour. Once inside, though, still tall, he reattached his shield carefully, drew the rod, and walked, head still held high and his hair only slightly dampened by the waterfall, towards the others who had begun their way down the path.

A series of lights blazed around his individual companions. He didn't bother lighting another -- theirs were fine to see by for now.

Ursus looks up from the stone floor, "This floor has been worked, someone has shaped it and recently."
Ursus's words prompted Pell to look with suspicion at the path. "Someone's shaped it? People can do that? Shape bare rock with their hands?" The young half-orc's voice was filled with wonder. "Or d'you mean with magic?" Pell's eyes widened with newfound appreciation as he took in the expanse of cavern and considered the amount of magic and skill it might take to shape such a space. "Well. Explains why it's slicker than normal, I guess."

Faera's warning caused Pell's head to swivel and whip. He lowered his voice, sorry now that he'd spoken out of turn. "Where, Faera?"

Radaceus

Adventurer
[section]
Tucking his spellbook away, Ignis gestured towards the maw, "Something big in there...?"
"Indubitably!"
"Yon aperture is the veritable signature indication for a creature of enormity" the genasi chuckled, then stood up, looked about him, and continued, "Our arrival at this juncture occurs by direct result of the legends, and by which our quests and desires originate. T'is whether that gargantuan still yet breathes, and by what manner it exhales, that begets concern."
[/section]

[sblock=DM]Fair enough on the Unseen Servant, just give me the nod if I can include it in the future narrative, thanks[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Ignis (Wizard) 12th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +0
Darkvision 60 ft.
Speed: 30'

AC: 19 (Elven chain(Chain Shirt+1)=14+Staff of power+2, Dex+2, Cloak of protection +1)
HP 98/98

In Hand:Staff of Power
Off Hand:

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

[section]Pell's eyes crossed as he tried to follow Ignis's words. He smiled sheepishly. "Dunno what a "yon" is, and a "'perture" sounds likes something Faera's owl might do, but that's a big hole down there, if that's what you mean." Pell pointed to the dark recess of the cavern. "P'haps we oughta take a look." Some of the others had the look of wanting to be first to spelunk, so Pell decided he'd stick to the middle. Safer there, more likely.[/section]

[sblock=Crunch]hp 75/75
AC 15
Initiative +6
Darkvision 60’
Speed 30’
Passive Perception 17
Investigation +8
Perception +7
Stealth +9
Action: Shortsword +2 (“Flick”), 1d20+10, 1d6+6 piercing, finesse, light
Bonus Action: Shortsword (“Swish”), 1d20+8, 1d6, piercing, finesse, light

Spellcasting:
Spell save DC 16
Spell attack modifier +8
Cantrips (4): mage hand, fire bolt (10), minor illusion, prestidigitation
Spells Known (8): sleep (3), color spray (3), grease (3), silent image (4), invisibility (7), spider climb (8), blur (10), disguise self (11)
1st lvl (4 slots)
2nd lvl (3 slots)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
[section]

"Surfacers..." hissed Faera, rolling her eyes.

The drow then moves quietly, trying to reach the lake while hiding in the shadows.[/section]

[sblock='OOC']
I roll stealth: [roll0]

Oops... sorry, guys.
[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Faera (Warlock [Pact of the Tome]) 12th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +4
Darkvision 120 ft.
Speed: 30'

AC: 15 (Glamoured studded armor (studded armor+1)=13 + Dex+2)
HP 87/87

In Hand:Rod of the pact keeper
Off Hand:

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=Ignis]If you're ok with a slight retcon, I'm ok with you having cast Unseen Servant as a ritual before you entered the cave. It's up to you. I wish I had that thought earlier. Sorry about that. [/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=For Everyone]I don't want to push the narrative unless I have to, but I want to give you what I can to help you decide how to proceed. This module doesn't include player maps (which is silly in my opinion) so I'm going to have to make rough cuts to the maps to share them with you. Here's a map to give you a better sense of where you are: Dragon Maw - initial map.png I apologize for the rough bits there. Hopefully, it still conveys the scene.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Faera]You can actually see further than the others. Looking on the map, the upper path leads to a landing that has some blocky shapes on it that you can't make out at this distance. The bottom path leads to a landing as well that slopes up into the darkness. The far side of the cavern is at the edge of your vision, but you can make out two waterfalls descending into this cavern.[/SBLOCK]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lakeover shrugs. "I could go ahead," he suggests. "But that's still to enter along obvious sight lines. Eventually, our party will be detected. Our lights can and will be seen and we will be caught on that narrow bridge in s defensive position before we properly begin."

He pauses. "I understand the desire to press on, but if we were to wait on the other side of the falls for the rest of the day [i.e. a long rest], I'd be able to let us approach our destination over the water, rather than by that narrow bridge. We'd be more likely to have surprise, and those needing light will perhaps be less obvious."

Remove ads