Into the Dragon's Maw (Adventure)

[section]Pell nodded at Lakeover's suggestion. It was a good one. This place made his hackles rise, he was jittery, and the better prepared they were the more likely Pell was to survive and return home with the Greenstone in hand to get the High Court off his back. He longed for the freedom of the open road, with no cares other than his next meal. Still, he felt duty bound to offer in a whisper to no one in particular, "You're all older and much wiser than me. Smarter. I'm tricksy, like. I can creep with the best of them. But I don't like being first." Pell colored. Perhaps admitting he was "tricksy" wasn't the best way to earn trust. He shuffled forward, uncertain, and prepared to make himself invisible and follow after Daera, then paused because he recalled Lakeover's idea to return after resting. Pell's eyes shifted between Ignis, Ursus, and Cade, trying to judge the others' decision to wait or forge ahead.[/section]

In case the DM calls for a roll: [roll0]. Also, Pell won't brag about this but he can cast invisibility. And a few other tricksy-type things to hide or disguise himself.

[sblock=Crunch]hp 75/75
AC 15
Initiative +6
Darkvision 60’
Speed 30’
Passive Perception 17
Investigation +8
Perception +7
Stealth +9
Action: Shortsword +2 (“Flick”), 1d20+10, 1d6+6 piercing, finesse, light
Bonus Action: Shortsword (“Swish”), 1d20+8, 1d6, piercing, finesse, light

Spellcasting:
Spell save DC 16
Spell attack modifier +8
Cantrips (4): mage hand, fire bolt (10), minor illusion, prestidigitation
Spells Known (8): sleep (3), color spray (3), grease (3), silent image (4), invisibility (7), spider climb (8), blur (10), disguise self (11)
1st lvl (4 slots)
2nd lvl (3 slots)[/sblock]

3SpdDragster

First Post
Ursus smiles at the others as they glower over the light from his sword.

"I am aware that you races that can see in the dark will be annoyed by the light, but for those of us that cannot it is a necessity. Without light I will be stumbling around, bouncing off walls and making lots of noise. Anyone wishing to scout ahead can do so, in the darkness they can find comfort but stumbling in the dark will not improve my stealth and noise will travel further than light"

"I like the idea of circumventing natural killing grounds, I like Lakeover's plan a lot!"

Radaceus

Adventurer
[section]
"I certainly am not entertained by the deduction arrived at by the presence of all this...water," the last word forced out. "I prefer to minimize any contact with the element."

The genasi eyes the raucous falls cascading behind them apprehensively, asking bluntly "illuminate us of this strategy requiring another slumber, priest."
Without waiting for a reply, Ignis turned to the others.
"For the meantime, my imperceptible summoned companion will shadow your steps, so I may be of remote assistance," his eyes resting uncomfortably long on the half-orc, as a thin smile emerged, "should an advent for being tricksy eventuate itself."
[/section]

[sblock= Actions]Unseen servant ordered to stay 59' ahead of me, behind the scouts[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Ignis (Wizard) 12th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +0
Darkvision 60 ft.
Speed: 30'

Str 10, Dex 14 +2, Con 18 +4,Int 20 +5, Wis 10, Cha 8 -1

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...e-Dragon-s-Maw-Character-Sheets#ixzz3vlN3dtXU
AC: 19 (Elven chain(Chain Shirt+1)=14+Staff of power+2, Dex+2, Cloak of protection +1)
HP 98/98

In Hand:Staff of Power
Off Hand:
Current ongoing spells
Contingencyset to cast Misty Step on Ignis should any Dragon move to attack him
(Duration: 9 days, or until triggered)​
Unseen Servant Ritually cast just before entering the waterfall, (Duration:1 Hr)​

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Simply, With a bit of prayer, I, wit the help of my god, can help us walk on water for a while... an hour or so," whispers Lakeover. "Those of us ho don't need light can get very close. Those of you with lights can approach by the normal route, or perhaps over the water as well, and casting your lights only when you need to fight. That way we'd avoid both that narrow bridge, which they seem to be guarding..." (Lakeover points to the few shadows moving on the far side) "...and we are constrained for space. We also would have the means of a quick escape if things didn't go the way we'd hope."

The elf's description is simple and matter-of-fact.

[section]Pell let out an appreciative whistle. "Whew! Walk on water? That's god stuff!" He sidled closer to Lakeover, looked the elf up and down. "Like, a miracle. Mister Elf, I gotta see you do it!" The young half orc turned to the others. "Guys! Guys! C'mon, that's worth waiting 'nother day for." Pell, evidently unaccustomed to anyone's magic but the flippery of circus magic, eyed Lakeover with greenhorn awe.[/section]

[sblock=Crunch]hp 75/75
AC 15
Initiative +6
Darkvision 60’
Speed 30’
Passive Perception 17
Investigation +8
Perception +7
Stealth +9
Action: Shortsword +2 (“Flick”), 1d20+10, 1d6+6 piercing, finesse, light
Bonus Action: Shortsword (“Swish”), 1d20+8, 1d6, piercing, finesse, light

Spellcasting:
Spell save DC 16
Spell attack modifier +8
Cantrips (4): mage hand, fire bolt (10), minor illusion, prestidigitation
Spells Known (8): sleep (3), color spray (3), grease (3), silent image (4), invisibility (7), spider climb (8), blur (10), disguise self (11)
1st lvl (4 slots)
2nd lvl (3 slots)[/sblock]

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
[section]

Seeing the others planing around, the dark elf stopped. Archy was near them, and had heard of their plans, transmitting that information to his master through the bond they shared. Even when was the elf the one who come with the idea, wasn't a bad one, to Faera's annoyance.

She bit her lips angrily and returned quietly over her steps, taking her time. She reached out the others while Pell was trying to convince the others to stay over the night.

"It seems that there are two paths", she said, trying to look cool and calmed. "The right one seems to lead to a landing that has some shapes I cannot figure what they are. The one to the left leads to a landing that slopes up into the darkness. There are also falls beyond that, but I cannot see more. I can go ahead if you want. This cave is not unlike my dear homeland, I can handle myself here. But I'll leave that to you, Lake".

Faera tried to smile to hide her discomfort of being near an elf.[/section]

Faera (Warlock [Pact of the Tome]) 12th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +4
Darkvision 120 ft.

AC: 15 (Glamoured studded armor (studded armor+1)=13 + Dex+2)
HP 87/87

In Hand:Rod of the pact keeper
Off Hand:

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
[SBLOCK=For everyone]You absolutely can leave and take a long rest. You haven't upset anything to the point that you would be harried. It's your call. If you decide to proceed over the walkway, I'll need a marching order. [/SBLOCK]

mips42

Adventurer
'One of my regiment leaders once said "no plan, no matter how well thought out, survives contact with the enemy." In this case, the enemy is the unknown. So, let's see what we can know.
'Ignis, can you turn your flame down so that it interferes less with Archys' low light vision? If so I propose that Ignis, Archy and I go up the left path, away from the moving shapes if I understand her description properly, and see what we can see from up there.'

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[Edit: sorry, mips! I was crafting as you were posting -- your action (obviously) goes first. Also, Lakeover (through Thaumaturgy) has the ability to "turn down" lights, and he'll do so as directed, before the following: ]

Lakeover looks down his nose at the impressed half-orc. He's met his kind before, of course, many times. But this one is disingenuous: he positively reeks of magic. For now, Lakeover says nothing.

He casts his eyes about the water. He considers the best approach, the way that they as a group might achieve the best surprise of those on the far side supposedly guarding the approach, that single arch reaching over the flowing river like a cannonball. He spies a few islets in the river, eddies whirling slowly around them, and considers that one of them might be a good and not-easily accessible refuge point if the party encounters a rout.

How best to achieve surprise? he considers the angles, places where by standing on the water he might still have some cover. Whether he could himself stay 60 feet away from his targets, moving secretly and unlit on the river itself. Perhaps another in the group could be positioned underneath the arch? With a light cast on the top, the expected avenue of approach, as a distraction for a few.

Once he has made his assessment, he turns on his heel and begins to leave. He's not shared his thoughts with anyone so far, and his turn is silent, even if it is performed with a rigid military efficiency. Again, he lifts his cloak to cover his head as a veil to protect himself, or at least his hear, as he exits the vast chamber.

The rush of the waterfall modulates to a different key as he gets outside, less resonant, more abrupt. He finds himself a quiet glen, and begins to pray. Mystra help him, he wants to overcome the nature of a river itself, a thing older than even him, and more storied. but magic can do all, do all indeed, he intones to himself. When he rises from his trance, and finishes his prayer and eats a little, he's ready to return. "Whenever you are ready, so am I," he proclaims.

When the time comes and they are back at the falls, he gathers them in a circle, casts his spell, and pronounces, "For the next hour, we can all walk on water. Mystra be thanked."

OOC: Long rest and re-prayer to substitute Water Walk for Commune on list of spells prepared. Then cast Water Walk as a ritual.

Last edited:

Radaceus

Adventurer
[section]
"Negative," Ignis answers Cade.

The genasi sighs, "Very Well, you have my acquiescence.", and with a wave of his hand, an imperceptible companion dissipates.
"I shall make preparations for another ritual which allows telepathic communications between us, I request everyone gather out here, I will cast when Lakeover has completed his prayers and rejoins us."
He follows the cleric out of the cave, pausing briefly before stepping through the waterfall once again. "This simple portal could implicate my demise before any recognition of my undertakings"
[/section]

[sblock= Actions] Gather nearby to the cleric as he prays, when he is finished I will explain the nature of, and then, ritually cast Rary's Telepathic Bond on everyone who is willing.[/sblock]

Ignis (Wizard) 12th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +0
Darkvision 60 ft.

Str 10, Dex 14 +2, Con 18 +4,Int 20 +5, Wis 10, Cha 8 -1

AC: 19 (Elven chain(Chain Shirt+1)=14+Staff of power+2, Dex+2, Cloak of protection +1)
HP 98/98

In Hand:Staff of Power
Off Hand:
Current ongoing spells
Contingencyset to cast Misty Step on Ignis should any Dragon move to attack him
(Duration: 8.5 days, or until triggered)​

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Remove ads