• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invigorating!

ourchair

First Post
Okay, one of the few fighter builds I haven't tried is the Invigorating/Battlerager Vigor build. Can someone explain to me how the temporary hps work?

Most of the time, I understand them: temp hp from the same source doesn't stack but temp hps from different sources do.

So, how does that work in practice? How would one end up stacking a buttload of temp HPs... and how would one end up getting a lot of temp HPs that DON'T stack?

DracoSuave

First Post
Okay, one of the few fighter builds I haven't tried is the Invigorating/Battlerager Vigor build. Can someone explain to me how the temporary hps work?

Most of the time, I understand them: temp hp from the same source doesn't stack but temp hps from different sources do.

So, how does that work in practice? How would one end up stacking a buttload of temp HPs... and how would one end up getting a lot of temp HPs that DON'T stack?

Fortunately, you can completely forget about how Invigorating/Battlerager and temp hp stacking works, as this whole idea has been scrapped with the updates a long time ago.

NOW the way it works is, if you hit an enemy, you gain your Con mod in temp hps, plus whatever you'd normally get. If you miss, you just gain your Con mod. You get these after the attack resolves.

There's no thinking about stacking at all... if you're getting more thps than you have, then your thps become the new amount. If not, fuggetaboudit.

Camelot

Adventurer
Temporary hit points never stack, even if they're from different sources.

The battlerager is an exception to this rule; when they hit with an invigorating attack, they gain temp HP equal to twice their Con mod (instead of just their Con mod like a normal character using an Invigorating attack would). Plus, if they miss with an Invigorating attack, they gain Con mod temp HP. The only requirement for all this (besides the class feature) is that you have to be trained in Endurance.

But whenever they get a bunch of THP from a power, it doesn't stack with the THP they currently have. So the most you can have at any time is twice your Con mod. With the non-updated version, it was possible to have limitless THP, which was very abusable. You still gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls (when using hammers or maces) whenever you have THP.

So, yes, less abusable and more understandable.

DracoSuave

First Post
Temporary hit points never stack, even if they're from different sources.

The battlerager is an exception to this rule;

Technically not, as the battlerager doesn't get thp twice. They only get it once, in an amount equal to Con mod+what they normally would get.

Also worth noting is that 'what they normally would get' has nothing to do with Invigorating (tho this is obviously a good route for them to go.) If they have an attack that grants them more than their Con mod at the end of it, and they hit with that attack, they'll end up with Con+that greater amount. (and yes, they must hit to add together the thp. If they miss, they only get Con, or what the power would normally give, whichever is higher)

It isn't stacking, however, it's them getting a single amount of thp in one go.

Multiclassing/Hybridding might make that worthwhile for some builds.

DracoSuave

First Post
I am illuminated, and then subsequently confused.

It's not hard.

Let's say you have a power that gives you temporary hitpoints. It doesn't matter why it does, just that it does. That number is X.

If you're a battlerager:

If you hit with that power, even once, you get Con + X temp hps.
If you miss with that power, you get Con temp hps.
If the power never hits nor misses, you get X temp hps.

'But what happens if I hit one target and miss another?'

You get Con + X temp hps. Temp hps don't stack so you won't get the temp hps for missing. Like any other time you get temp hps less than what you already have, you just pretend it never happened. You move on with your life.

Camelot

Adventurer
It's not hard.

Let's say you have a power that gives you temporary hitpoints. It doesn't matter why it does, just that it does. That number is X.

If you're a battlerager:

If you hit with that power, even once, you get Con + X temp hps.
If you miss with that power and it was an invigorating power, you get Con temp hps. (You don't get THP if you missed with an attack that gives you THP if you hit unless it has the Invigorating keyword.)
If the power never hits nor misses, you get X temp hps.

'But what happens if I hit one target and miss another?'

You get Con + X temp hps. Temp hps don't stack so you won't get the temp hps for missing. Like any other time you get temp hps less than what you already have, you just pretend it never happened. You move on with your life.

Clarified, the bold is mine.

Remove ads