• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisibility and Light Source

mvincent

Explorer
Michaluk said:
Your clothes and body still exist and stop light, it just appears as though they don't.
While I agree that invisibility acts more like a perfect, cameleon 'shell' rather than actually making you 'transparent', it appears that the literal interpretation of the text makes an exception for all light sources (even those tucked away). Those sticking to the literal interpretation can probably just attribute it to 'magic' though.

According to rules of the game invisibility can be used like an x-ray. Just drink the stuff in this glowstick and we'll figure out whats wrong with you in no time.
Now that's a cool idea.

Michaluk

First Post
mvincent said:
While I agree that invisibility acts more like a perfect, cameleon 'shell' rather than actually making you 'transparent', it appears that the literal interpretation of the text
makes an exception for all light sources (even those tucked away).

But that's my point exactly. The light itself isn't invisible in any way, it simply can't penetrate your clothing. If a pixie were to climb into your invisible pocket, it would still see the light from the invisible everburning coin you jammed in there.

lukelightning

First Post
Michaluk said:
If a pixie were to climb into your invisible pocket, it would still see the light from the invisible everburning coin you jammed in there.

"Hey," says the pixie, "I thought the sun didn't shine here!"

White Whale

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
To my mind, you'd have an area that was illuminated but you wouldn't be able to see the source of the light (it's invisible!).
Ha! Invisible light?! Now that is funny since light per definition is visible :p

I see only two possible ways to solve this:
1) The torch sheds light as normal (and hence, it's easy to pinpoint)
or
2) The invisibility spell negates all light (both reflected light and light sources) coming from the person.

I see both options as viable, and suggest your group or DM should find the solution that works best for you.

Delta

First Post
waterdhavian said:
We figured the light would shine from an invisible source. For combat purposes the character would still be invisible and get the benefits of miss chance but would be easy to find which square he is located in.

Totally agree with that interpretation. Still invisible with miss chance, but automatic pinpointing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads