• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisibility and Mind Blank vs True Seeing or See Invisibility?

Arravis

First Post
Sounds like Improved Invisibility and Mind Blank are a tough combo to beat.

I'm still not sure I understand why See Invisibility and True Seeing (when used on the prime) would work against Invisibility type spells, but not against Blinking or Etherealness...

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Arravis said:
Sounds like Improved Invisibility and Mind Blank are a tough combo to beat.

I'm still not sure I understand why See Invisibility and True Seeing (when used on the prime) would work against Invisibility type spells, but not against Blinking or Etherealness...

Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear about that. Mind blank still stops true seeing and see invisibility for blink (or other spells granting "invisibility").

I was alluding to creatures that can see into the Ethereal without resorting to Divination spells, or creatures already in the Ethereal that can see you normally. Blink + mind blank doesn't hide you from those (unless you are also invisible).

Andargor

Bad Paper

First Post
Arravis said:
Neither do I. Luckily, they do, so we don't have to worry about it.

anon

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I cast a Fireball on you.

You die.

I am now in possession of information that I was not in possession of before I cast the spell (chiefly, that you are not immune to fire).

That would actually be your eyes which gave you that information.
You cast Fireball [near] me. I am invisible. You know nothing.

Bad Paper

First Post
sorry, guys, I just don't see it. Mind Blank states that it only deals with mind-affecting effects. Invisibility is a glamer, hence, MB does not defend against See Invisibility.

Arravis

First Post
Actually, it does more than protect against mind-affecting magics.

From the SRD:
"This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects."

anon

First Post
Mind Blank prevents both mind-affecting spells as well as information gathering by diviination.

"This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. ... Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all."

I include the final part of the text to point out that Scrying isn't mind-affecting, but is included (as being blocked) because it is an information-gathering divination spell.

(And I see Arravis beat me to this point... :)

pawned79

First Post
Obviously, if it said that it makes you immune to "all divinations," the question would have never been voiced in the first place. So, it comes down to the question: Does See Invisibility "gather information?" I believe that the spirit of the law answers, "No." There are many divination spells which you could clearly say do gather information. See Invisibility does tell me something is there that I didn't know before, but I feel this is a technicallity and not how the author originally intended it.

2 cents,
Patrick

moritheil

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I cast a Fireball on you.

You die.

I am now in possession of information that I was not in possession of before I cast the spell (chiefly, that you are not immune to fire).

But fireball isn't designated as primarily an information-gathering spell, right? I think the thing to do in addressing his argument is to take on the statement that all divination spells are designated as information-gathering spells.

Remove ads