• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invisibility and Mind Blank vs True Seeing or See Invisibility?

Bad Paper

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Unless, of course, the spell magically enhances your eyes, in which case the information is conveyed to your brain in the usual way.

In other words, is True Seeing a HUD, or is it brainjack? The actual rules are silent on this issue, so whichever choice you make is an interpretation, and no more valid than any other.
Given the nature of True Seeing's arcane material component, my guess is that the arcane version is a HUD, and the divine version is a brainjack (hence its ability to convey aura information as well). Way to make things more complicated! woohoo!

Arravis said:
I thought in 3.5, there was no difference between the divine and arcane versions of True Seeing.

Not anymore; you're right. They removed the aura-seeing from the divine version. They both use the same material component, as well - an herb-infused rub for the eyes.

Bad Paper

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Not anymore; you're right. They removed the aura-seeing from the divine version. They both use the same material component, as well - an herb-infused rub for the eyes.
ohhh. I get hung up on *so many* of these little differences. Here's the funny part: I never actually played 3.0. I only read the books.

So I'm thinkin that True Seeing is a HUD and therefore not blocked by Mind Blank.

Nail

First Post
dcollins said:
The DM said if we played again he'd have to House Rule it differently, and I thought that was reasonable.
I'm curious.....how would he have house-ruled differently, and how do you agree with it?

I'm currently in a high-level game, so it's important to see how others are handling it.

Last edited:

Nail said:
I'm curious.....how would he have huse-ruled differently, and how do you agree with it.

I'm currently in a high-level game, so it's important to see how others are handling it.

I believe he would have house-ruled it that True Seeing beats Mind Blank + Invis, and would feel that the ruling was fair (especially given the durations involved; MB = 24 hours, TS = 1 min / level).

Nail

First Post
Right.

...and you've put your finger on the real balancing factor here: spell durations. True Seeing is simply not used very often; it can't be an "all day" buff like Greater Magic Weapon, etc.

Arravis

First Post
Mind Blank is a higher level spell though.

I am of the instinct that True Seeing trumps Mind Blank since it feels like a "indirect" effect. But honestly, by the RAW, I think that Mind Blank trumps it.

Remove ads