• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iPod Question

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I'm looking into picking up a used iPod. Obviously I'm mostly looking at the extremely old iPods since I'm virtually broke. The other issue is I have a Windows machine. If I were to get one of the older Mac only iPods would I still be able to use it on Windows and if so would I need any special software? I know I would need to get a firewire card.

Here are the tech specs for the one I am looking at.

Thanks for any help.

MarauderX

Explorer
Not sure that it would work with your Windows machine if it's a Mac only Pod. Personally, I would wait to get a new one or better yet get a Dell or other competitors that allow upgrades on the device, such as on-the-fly deletion and playlist creation. If you get a newer version you only need to have a firewire to USB converter to connect, meaning you don't have to waste money on a firewire card if you are that poor. And get the add-on stuff from ebay or other cheap resource instead of the more expensive apple store. My wife has an iPod, and if I were to do it over again I would get a different product with more features and was meant to work with your Windows machine.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Psychotic Dreamer said:
If I were to get one of the older Mac only iPods would I still be able to use it on Windows and if so would I need any special software?

You might want to ask your question in THIS FORUM

MarauderX said:
...I would wait to get a new one or better yet get a Dell or other competitors that allow upgrades on the device, such as on-the-fly deletion and playlist creation.

Actually, you can create On-The-Go playlists with most versions of the iPod software. You might want to look through the iPod Windows Updates

Breakdaddy

First Post
My iPod is 3rd gen, so Im unsure as to whether an older gen would work on a PC. Mine works fine on a PC though. I, too, would strongly urge you to wait to find a deal on a 3rd gen, as they are far superior in control, battery life and compatibility by all accounts. My friend just grabbed a used 10 gig 3rd gen for 110 bucks, so it can be done. Good luck either way

Breakdaddy

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
The problem with getting a 3rd Gen is I don't have $400+ for one. I can get a 1st gen for under $50. That I can barely afford.

That can be a problem. I hope you get your question answered definitively, at any rate. Good luck. :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I really wanted to get an MP3 player, but couldn't even remotely come close to affording one, so I ended up getting a $50 Panasonic cd player that plays MP3s on a cd. As long as you don't run with it, it works great, and has tremendous battery life.

(Of course, if you want it to work out with, then it wouldn't work. But for most other applications, it's almost just as good)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads