(IR) 3rd IR, Turn 5 (thread 3)

Maudlin

First Post
Well, alright, we'll kill him, but not so it'll leave scars.

Kalanyr - Maybe you're expecting too much of 10th level magic. You can throw devastating catastrophes, change the alignment of all of your people, take them into pocket dimensions on flying mountains, etc... Know anyone else who could do that?

You've been adding the '10th level' adjective to just about everything lately. It's a higher level of spellcasting, not a new plane of existence, you know :) A 4th level Death Ward can make you completely immune from a 9th level Wail of the Banshee... it makes perfect sense to me that some 9th level magic can defend against some 10th level effects. Find new and original ways to further your ends, you have a fantastic tool for it; not just "I attack, but with 10th level magic!" and expect to dominate because of that.

This isn't criticism, just trying to help alleviate your apparent frustration.

As for the Fast Healing: 250, the dragons divided themselves equally, ya know. Could you point at the map where the evil people still have holdings? We have *no other way* of adding to our PL. Is that not a disadvantage?

Mr. Draco

First Post
Maudlin, you forget the arms races. Also, should Acererak achieve apoethesis, he would get a guarenteed 20PL of undead each turn that attack/defend at +6/+6 base!

Last edited:

Maudlin

First Post
Mr. Draco said:
Maudlin, you forget the arms races. Also, should Acererak achieve apoethesis, he would get a guarenteed 20PL of undead each turn that attack/defend at +6/+6 base!
I know, that'll be a bitch :cool: I'm the exception though, and the PL to be gained by the arms races is rather insignificant next to that by industrial development... You gain, what, 50PL permanently for every 30 you allot each turn? Arms races can manage perhaps 10PL, total.

Mr. Draco

First Post
I think that the other reason Acererak has been marked for death is that if he achieves apoethesis, he would also, instantly, gain control over all undead on Oerth.

If it was just the 20PL/turn at +6/+6 i don't think everybody would be so hostile to the idea.

Because with the gaining control, you effectively wipe everbody else out of the Undead arms race.

Spoof

First Post
Right I expected you to try and kill me; if I was in your place I would also. Also my plan is to take that silly little staff you have and either destroy it or take it from you forever. Hey if it is grafted to your hand then we just cut off your hand, you can re-grow it later. Also remember it was ME who stopped anything from leaving not you, this attack was unplanned by either party, any reinforcements in force really would have to come from elsewhere – i.e. allies. And again do not forget the Angelic host sitting on your head, even if you are by some twist of fate able to beet me back killing me would be a miracle and well that would be my territory.

Maudlin

First Post
Unplanned? What, me and Mr. Moist were taking a stroll through the woods and we rolled you on our encounter table? :) Acererak hasn't done something unplanned for a long, long time... Anyway, the point is moot until we hear from Edena.

There are far easier ways to escape than just teleporting, btw.

Edit- Mr. Draco, why would that upset you so? My rule over the children of the apotheosis would be entirely benevolent, I can assure it. They only seek a place for themselves, and I am their Messiah. Maybe you regret the loss of cheap slave-labor?

Last edited:

Kalanyr

Explorer
I did not just say with 10th level magic. I have been lately but most of its sarcasm since the fleas on Melkor's dog's back put up more of a fight then 10th level magic. 10th level magic costs 50PL it should be worth it instead I would have been better of spending those 3 turns advancing my civilisation. Absolutely everyone has been using 10th level magic strength effects this turn, Red Goo is now 4/3 times as strong as 10th level magic and to top of that only bad guys will be using it and they are getting 10th level magic whoo-hoo!

The simulcrums are ridiculous,the idea that Artifacts are 20 times stronger than 10th level magic is also quiet amusing. Since every bad guy has a secret weapon that is as powerful if not more so than 10th level magic. It was a new plane of existance when Forrester was the primary wielder with his departures its really not that effective on top of this teleport effect is pointless bad guys can become Red Goo and cover most of the globe. Alignment change of my own Power is hardly impressive since I could have just played them as good-aligned.

Mr. Draco

First Post
Kalanyr, the artifacts were created with 11th level magic i believe. That should help explain them a little. The red goo has downsides, most likely serious downsides that we just haven't heard about yet. I agree with you about the simulcrums. Regarding the gooform, look at Rhialto's total PL at the start of this turn. 89. With that kind of a PL, he has no real power, so, naturally, to keep things interesting, he needed some way to keep up.

Look at it this way Kalanyr, if you want an all-powerful superweapon, convince Gnomeworks to give you atom bombs. If you want the universe's second best swiss-army knife (the best being 11th level magic), then take 10th level magic.

Maudlin- It's just the thought of the undead in the Union of Oerth suddenely turning and rampaging through our land that annoys me.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Mr. Draco said:
If it was just the 20PL/turn at +6/+6 i don't think everybody would be so hostile to the idea.

Because with the gaining control, you effectively wipe everbody else out of the Undead arms race.
Myself, I could care less about losing some undead. Now, Acererak gaining 20 PL/turn at +6/+6, OTOH: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Remove ads