• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IR) Do you want to rule the world?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I believe any army unit is made up of 10,000 individuals.

A Militia is 10,000 untrained people, levied hurriedly and given whatever weapons and items are at hand.

A Regular Army is just that. One Regular Army is 10,000 individuals who are properly trained, well disciplined, and outfitted with weapons and armor.

An Elite Army is composed of roughly 10,000 innately powerful beings who are also well trained, disciplined, well outfitted, and who work together as a team. What does innately powerful mean? They could be moderately high hit dice monsters. They could be powerful beings like the githyanki. They could have numerous innate powers. They could be regular ordinary people who have been magically altered to have special powers (they all regenerate as trolls, they can all fly, they are all Stoneskinned, they all have Darkvision, they all have magical armor and magical weapons, and so on.)

An Epic Army is just that. Roughly 10,000 individuals with very great powers, working together as an army. They all have very great power, natural or augmented, powerful magical items, powerful spells, or are very powerful monsters teamed together.

Based on what I read in the rules, a Regular Army will slaughter Militia easily, unless the Militia have some advantage such as being inside a fortified city.
Likewise, Elite Armies will slaughter Regular Armies.
Epic Armies, will slaughter Elite Armies.

But ...

Militia cost nothing to build.
Regular Armies cost 1 point (see the rules for details.)
Elite Armies cost 10 points.
Epic Armies cost 100 points, and you must have elite armies ready to upgrade to epic first.

So, you must make a choice: If you are spending 100 points on armies, do you build 100 Regular Armies, or 10 Elite Armies, or upgrade a single Elite Army to Epic?
The choice, is up to you!

Just remember there are 20 other powers facing your problem also. What to do? What to do? ...

And incidentally ... you might think you could build endless armies of Militia, but remember there is a limit (roughly equal to your IC value, see the rules) to have many armies you can have activated in any given Turn.

Radiant

First Post
oh my that's a bit much. I wouldn't imagine the Sikari running around in the number. At the most they are a few thousand, maybe even ten but that would just make one army. As I get it that is just flavour too isn't it. Claiming that armies of soulwapred contain fewer individuals simply because they are more powerfull than the average elite trooper should not intrude into the game balance in any way. I could imagine a thouasand of them in one army at the most. Will see. On the other hand they will realy start massrecruiting into their ranks now...

Serpenteye

First Post
Radiant said:
looks like it gets worse. Don't get what it is all about.
Apparently it's about "principles" :\. No matter, it's over now one way or the other.

Radiant said:
Another question: How many people are in one elite army? Or does that change depending on the power of people that make up the unit? Since serpenteye said my faction will consist only of eltie units like the ethergaunts did I asume the total number of Claw member should not be very high. On the other hand they are not as powerfull as the gaunts since they are in average as good as they are without any levels at all. So I asume one elite unit of Sikari will include a lot more individuals than an equaly powerfull unit of ethergaunts?

I got the impression that your power would be mostly Elite, it would seem to fit your description, but you're free to make it anything you like.

The number of people does vary depending on the power of those who make up the unit. A PL of Militia is made up of 10'000 individuals, but a PL of Regulars is less than half of that and a PL of Elite is about 500-50 individuals. Epic PLs are usually single individuals, or artifacts or powerful magical items. Some individuals will have even more than 1 elite PL.

Edena_of_Neith said:
I believe any army unit is made up of 10,000 individuals.

No, deity no... Imagine that many Epic level people running around the Flannaes, the planet would have been destroyed ages ago :uhoh: .

Radiant said:
oh my that's a bit much.

:D

William Ronald

Explorer
We could use a few more good players, or neutral ones. ;)

So, feel free to stop in. Serpenteye, Edena, and everyone there will be glad to answer any of your questions. (Perhaps one way to think of the IR is you get to see the challenges of running a country in turbulent times.)

William Ronald

Explorer
The forces of good or neutrality still could use a few more players. So, feel free to stop by the thread.

So, if you are interested in running a country, roleplaying, combat, and a good time, you might like the IR. Check it out.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Yeah, big bump! :)

I'm asking that everyone in the IR try to recruit players. Trust me, as DM of the 3rd IR, when I say the more the merrier. In the case of an IR, that's the truth.
I know several people, and will ask them if they are interested in joining us.

If I can locate Thomas, I will certainly ask him what his status is.

Edena_of_Neith

Last edited:

azmodean

First Post
I haven't looked at the rules yet, but I get the overall idea, and I'm interested. Good-aligned horde, what race is a good match for that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads