(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 7 (End)

Posted by Festy Dog:

Silver Phase and associates will attend Kalanyr and Siobhan's wedding, best wishes.

Well, I would have posted Melkor`s wishes, but I won`t, it isn`t something I can post on this board, use your imagination.

Willam, you have brought The Gamma World aka Earth into The IR, could you summarize your take on it`s history after 20th century and current situation?

Black Omega

First Post
Melkor said:
Well, I would have posted Melkor`s wishes, but I won`t, it isn`t something I can post on this board, use your imagination.
Long life and happiness? Why thank you. I can understand why you don't want to post it and ruin your evil rep.:D

William Ronald

Explorer
Edena:

Thanks for the compliments. I may try to work in one more DL character or two, as I have meet Jean Rabe, one of the DL writers.

Melkor:

The first edition of the Gamma World game, to me, had an advanced society fall apart because of internal tensions. This edition was published before 1980. Ironically, within a decade or so, the world saw Yugoslavia fall apart because of its own internal problems. Perhaps even more surprising was that the former Soviet Union did not collapse as violently as many had feared.

Many empires and nations fall apart from within.

Essentially, I worked with an idea that the various nations of Earth had united in a very loose global government to deal with pressing issues such as environmental problems, and overpopulation. However, if underlying problems are not resolved, any society can be torn apart from the inside. It is very easy to create our own Hell on Earth. Thus, the great nations gradually became disunited and factions warred on one another.

I had some rebuilding going on in my Gamma World campaign. Also, in my version, I did have hints of extraterrestrials. (This was hinted at in some later versions of the game.)

So, when I did my post, I extrapolated forward. I had more rebuilding, and someone made a positive extraterrestrial contact.

(Trust me, if any alien civilization had wanted to destroy Gamma World, it would not have taken much.)

So, I created an advanced alien civilization that shields my version of that setting. Not anyone to mess with. Also, I think the doorway to that setting has been closed.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
At the Inn of the Last Home continued

OOC: Kalanyr, Black Omega: We still have that wedding to perform for your characters. I imagine that will be the official end of the IR.

I did promise to throw in a few more characters for Hazen's visit to the Inn of the Last Home on Krynn. So, if by any chance Jean Rabe stumbles across this, consider this an IR tribute to your writing.

The door opened again and a crowd of three Solamnic knights, two of them women, a gnoll, an elf, a dwarf, a tall dark haired man in armor, and a half-elven woman with blonde hair entered the Inn.

"Pigs," the half-elven woman muttered. "How can we get a seat here?"

Caramon rose. "Don't worry, Rikali. There are seats right by the fire for all of you. I would be a poor innkeeper not to have room for my customers."

The tall man in armor spoke. "A pleasure to meet you, Caramon Majere. I am Dhamon Grimwulf. How did you know we would be here?"

"I must take responsibility for that." Hazen said. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Dhamon. Also a pleasure to meet you Rikali, Fiona, Rig, Camilla, Gair, Jasper, and R'vagho."

"Pigs, an angel," Rikali said, he mouth dropping open.

Hazen laughed, as did his wife Sarai.

"Hazen, I think this is the first time I have heard that reaction!" Sarai said.

"It is good to be here," Dhamon said. "I made a lot of mistakes but I have tried to live a better life."

"Well, I thank you for rescuing us," Rig, a dark skinned Solamnic Knight, said.

"That prison was hideous," Fiona, a red haired woman, who held Rig's arm said.

"I made my own fair share of mistakes, seeking power," Gair said as he gazed at Camilla, the dark haired woman by his side.

"Now is the time for second chances," Jasper said. "Uncle Flint, do you remember me?"

Flint Fireforge gazed at his nephew and smiled. "Well, you have grown."

R'vagho spoke. "Is it true that there are gnolls on Toril?" there was a hint of a growl in the gnolls voice as he struggled with a language unlike his native tongue.

"Yes, and they are mostly in the Humanoid State. If you wish to visit them, I can perhaps refer your request to the Union of World's embassy in the Kevellond League."

The King Priest of Istar rose and looked at Dhamon and Gair. "Your mistakes pale in comparison to mine. I just hope that I can begin to atone for my sins and crimes. I made a grave mistake: I thought I was the source of goodness and that my will alone was correct."

"It is a common mistake," Hazen said sadly. "Too often, people fall into the trap of pride. If a man can be said to be holy, it is because of what he does to act on his beliefs. It is not based on some internal quality that makes him better than his fellows. Holiness is defined more by acting, then by being. Or, as a friend of mine has said, actions speak more loudly and clearly than words."

"Yes, they do," Dhamon said. "I lost faith in myself. I set a standard for myself and when things did not go right, I abandoned that standard. I guess we are all our worst enemies."

"Well spoken," Hazen said. "I have made my own share of mistakes. The secret is to learn from them and to aspire to a higher standard for yourself. Do not expect perfection of yourself, but you can as I have said, listen to the angels of your better nature."

"Hazen, it is nice to know that your love of puns hasn't changed."
Sarai said.

"In my heart, I am still the same man that I was always: capable of good and evil. To be an Angel is not to be perfect, but to strive for that which is good and just."

For the rest of that day, there was much talk on the past of Krynn and of other worlds. Plans were made for the future and old friendships renewed and new ones made.

OOC: The next book in Jean Rabe's Dhamon saga, Redemption, comes out in June. As does Dragons of a Vanished Moon, the conclusion of the War of Souls trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The EN Chicago Gameday will be in June as well. Here is a link: http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9498&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Sorry folks, but it didn't end in all happiness and light.

The Church of Shade will return.

You only temporarily crippled it.

Melkor will regain his power.

The Shade will, eventually, threaten again.

- - -

You know why?

Not because the Comic Book Code demands it.

Not because it might be the starter for the 4th IR.

Not because I'm compensating Melkor.

But because YOUR characters are the Dark Powers.
Did I not make that crystal clear in the 3rd IR?
I shall make it crystal clear now.

The capacity for darkness in the hearts of your characters and their people will bring Melkor back, bring the Shade back.

The 3rd IR did not end jealousy.
The 3rd IR did not end secret hate (or, even open hate.)
The 3rd IR did not end fear.
The 3rd IR did not end the desire to lord it over your fellow man.
The 3rd IR did not end the desire to kill your fellow man if you could not lord it over him.
The 3rd IR ended none of that - except only for Archcleric Hazen, who as an Angel is devoid of darkness.

I would suggest vigilance.
The taraakians Pacted, yes, but they are not here, not watching everything that is going on.

Hellmaster Phibrizzo and his people, who murdered billions of innocent people, live amongst you unpunished - the taraakians never stated why they did not inflict punishment themselves, folks, and you never asked.
Iuz, who murdered millions of people in his day, sits amongst you.
Acererak, who murdered millions of people in his day, sits amongst you.
The Eternal Union, which stood with the Alliance of Dread and Black Brotherhood, still sits amongst you - even if it's leadership is gone.

There are openings aplenty and to spare for Melkor to come back.
The Church of Shade is crippled, for now, but it is NOT gone - it still exists in the IR setting.

The Darkness is not so easily beaten.
Take victory for granted, and Melkor will snatch your victory away.

And no, your 12th level magic won't save you, because the danger comes from within you.

Even as I write these words, the Church of Shade is gaining people, recovering a bit from it's losses, reestablishing bases here and there in secret, and the power of Melkor is growing.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Just wondering...

The God Emperor is the primary God of hundreds of billions of individuals who worship him with a fanaticism greater than what any human is capable of. He is the primary God of hundreds or thousands of crystalspheres, so he is rather powerful, right? My question is, how powerful is he?

Greater than Pelor?
Greater than Mystra?
Greater than AO?
Greater than Melkor?

Demigod?
Lesser God?
Intermediate God?
Greater God?
Overgod?

:)

SInce you are just starting I'd give you a intermediate or if you are lucky a greater.

Greater then AO will never happen because he created the multiverse alongside a handful of other overgods like Primus. THey are the gods of gods and they were there for ever so don't even go there heh :D

I'm stil thinking up about how I'm gonna end :) GOt some nice stuff going but the detail..

Remove ads