(IR) The 3rd IR, Turn 7 (thread 4)

Black Omega

First Post
Vote: Go on. This is the world we make, good and bad. If we stop now it feels like a bit of a copout. you've said from the begining powers and PC's will at some time or another get wiped out. I know I'm a bad powergamer, I've been expecting it to happen to my faction for a while now.;)

As they said in Young Guns II, let's finish the game, Edena.

Knowing that this IR is for fun, I vote to go on, however if a vast number of people in the IR really want to stop here, then I will stop as well, I don't like hard work to go to waste. (Yet there are near-infinite possibilities in Ravenloft ;))

Edit-Edena, if we do quit, will there be an IR #4, if we don't quit and go along this path of destruction...do you think there will be an IR #4?

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Knowing that this IR is for fun, I vote to go on, however if a vast number of people in the IR really want to stop here, then I will stop as well, I don't like hard work to go to waste. (Yet there are near-infinite possibilities in Ravenloft ;))

Edit-Edena, if we do quit, will there be an IR #4, if we don't quit and go along this path of destruction...do you think there will be an IR #4?
This is a good question. Though I'm all about fun. Whatever is decided will be fine with me.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Considering that this is a very major decision, and that one hour is not a reasonable amount of time in which to consider it:

Instead of resolving the statements of Attack and Defense in one hour ...

I am going to wait.

I will wait for 24 hours.

Is 24 hours a long enough time to debate the matter?

You can express your opinions during that time, and discuss the matter among yourselves, and make final posts to the board concerning whether we stop or go on.

24 hours from now, I will look at your posts.

If you all say go on, we will go on.
If you all say stop, we will stop.

If you are divided, I will wait again, and give you time to discuss the matter more, and I will give more of my thinking on the subject.

- - -

I appreciate this sudden 24 hour halt might be frustrating.
Do not be frustrated - if we go on, the carnage will begin soon enough.

I will say this one thing before I go:

You see the joy on the face of the Olympic Gold Metal Winner, in the Olympics.
For every winner in an Olympic Event, there are many who do not win.
They gave their entire lives to be in that Event, to make it to that point - an entire lifetime of pain, sacrifice, work beyond the end of endurance, damage to their bodies, the loss of all other activities, the loss of a life they could have had - and they lost.
But the cameras do not show their faces, the faces of those who gave everything they had, and lost.
The media does not show the pain and trauma they experience. The media cannot be bothered with them; they are losers, to be dismissed and forgotten.

I am not the media.
I am a Gamer, and I care about my players.

Edena_of_Neith

zouron

First Post
while I know I ahve nothing to say anymore, I think this will be a good place to stop, letting fantasy spring out from this situation, letting the situation be something we dream off and exploit in a futuristic IR DnD game.

Creamsteak

Explorer
My initial mental reaction was: We should stop, because we know what is going to happen.

My second mental reaction was: We should not stop, because we do not know what is going to happen.

My third mental reaction is: We should continue till we reach a stopping point. This is not a good one. We can stop, but not till some stability exists. This is the worst time to stop. When I can hold a peace conference and not have it interrupted by red goo attackign everyone: then we can stop. As long as someone is going to prevent us from reaching a lull... I say we continue.

I am a bit... down... now that I am finding out I must wait for the results of the day.

William Ronald

Explorer
An Open Letter to Everyone in the IR

I am somewhat torn. I am prepared to see this continue to the end. I am a man of my word.

However, I have read people complain when their power suffers a setback or a plan does not work. Some of the complaints seem perilously close to personal attacks on Edena. I have seen his integrity questioned on these boards, and I do not like it.

Several people will likely explode with rage when their powers are eliminated. Trust me, I have some idea of the scope of the attacks that are coming. The scale of devastation would be similar to a full scale nucler war when the superpowers had their arsenals at their highest levels. As the player whose character is president of the Oerth Alliance, I can see the big picture perhaps a little more easily. I think a lot of people are going to lose their powers, and unfairly blame Edena.

Edena has put in more work than most of you can suspect on this IR. I do not want it to end with people complaining that their power should be alive or this plan should have worked. I do not want to have our moderator face angry and unfair statements on the boards or on his e-mail box. He needs no more stress over this.

Regrettably, I think the IR should stop. I do not want to see several people exploding in rage at Edena. I do not want unfair criticism of someone who has been working his heart out so all of us can have fun.

I think a lot of you will stop having fun after the attacks are resolved. I think a lot of well laid plans will fall apart. A lot of people will likely begin to blame each other and Edena will take the worst of it.

I suspect that Edena is near the end of his strength. He has some matters in real life to address. He has gained my respect, my admiration and friendship. I have used my reasoning abilities and powers of observation to try to see into the future.

I do not like what I see. I see people becoming upset with each other and our moderator. Morally, I cannot let this happen. I have my own principles in real life. Among them is a belief that others should not be hurt needlessley. I see a lot of people -- especially Edena -- being hurt needlessly.

I will always be grateful for the friends I have made in this IR and the fun I had. However, I suspect if everything continues a lot of people will not have fun and will quit. The bitterness will be overwhelming. I have a fairly good feel of the people in this IR, and I know a lot of hurtful things will be said if it continues and what comes to pass does. Someone tell me if I am wrong based on some of the posts I have seen and some of the comments that have been made. Based on my 37 years of life experiences, I fear that I am correct.

So, with much regret, I must vote that this IR come to an end. This is one of the hardest posts I have ever written on a message board. I cannot, in good conscience, let this IR fall apart into insults, accusations, bitterness and hate. Edena does not deserve it. You, the players of the IR, do not deserve it. The IR and the legacy of fun and good times do not deserve it.

Edena, I am only one voice in a chorus. I have tried to be a voice of reason not just in my faction but in dealing with other players. A lot of people are going to be needlessly hurt if this IR continues. I ask you to consider my reasoning and see why I am for the IR to stop. Not for myself, not for my allies, not even for the sake of Edena. I wish it to stop for the good of us all.

Mr. Draco

First Post
EDENA: Firstly, I'd like to say wow. When you said it would be bad and billions would die, I was like, oh well, it's just another thing here. Then, now with this post, the full situation hit me. I have to say though, that if we stop here it'll be unfufilling for me. I and serpenteye have projects we plan to see to a conclusion. These include: Cydians, the City of Peace, Nightfighters, and more that nobody knows about besides edena (so i won't list them). Even if the Union of Oerth is completely torn down and ground to dust, even if every colony we have and everyplace where people worship kas and the god-emperor as gods is vaporized, even if it comes to the point of no return and every being that ever knew about kas or the god-emperor is killed (thus completely ending their existance and influence) i'd still like to see it. Besides, stopping now for me would be a false peace. I'd always look back and wonder, what would have happened. Personally, I say bring it on. let's see this through to the end. The only thing i'm curious about is whether this "war for justice" (from the "good guys" point of view) is going to draw us further into ravenloft, because the way I see it is the bad guys just have to drag us all a set distance, and then we've lost. Yet the good guys don't have a clear victory condition. So, I'd like to continue.

Remove ads