[IRON DM] Spring 2004 Contest Thread FINAL JUDGMENT POSTED, CHAMPION ANNOUNCED!

Enkhidu

Explorer
Ever have one of thos einstances where you weren't sure if what you came up with was going to work? This was one of them:

Spring 2004 Iron DM Tourney

R1 – M3:

Enkhidu vs. Howandwhy99

The Ingredients:

Ghetto
Bird of Paradise
Fresh Poison
Racial Paragon
Harridan
Renaissance

The Adventure:

Rat Pack

Adventure Notes:

This adventure is an urban sidetrek meant for characters of 6th or 7th level (though it can be easily scaled for characters of other levels). It can be dropped in whenever the PCs enter a mid sized or larger city, though if the DM wishes, she may use the city of Deithon, briefly described below.

Summary

The PCs stumble into the kidnapping of a prophesied halfling child, and must find the infant’s wererat kidnappers and rescue the child before they can infect her with their disease.

Background

When the Child of Jade was born six months ago, the Monks of the Emerald Renaissance celebrated by allowing their austere brothers and sisters a second bowl of rice at their evening meal. In the morning they began their search for the infant that was their order’s founder reincarnated. The Order’s learned men and women had long ago discovered the prophesied location of the birth – a city currently called Deithon - and runners were sent to verify that their predictions were correct.

When the runners returned with tales of an infant girl so beautiful she captured the attention of all who looked upon her, and whose birth (the rumors said) gave no pain to her mother, the entire monastery packed up and left, leaving only a handful of brothers and sisters behind to make their retreat ready for the return of the Child of Jade.

When the monks of the Emerald Order arrived in Deithon, they found a city totally unlike the one prophesied in the old texts. Where the prophecy had spoken of the Child being born into a city of enlightenment, all that greeted them in Deithon was ignorance and squalor. Its people were poor, superstitious, and uneducated – more concerned with finding their next meal than enlightenment. This was not a place fitting for the Child of Jade!

Thus did the Grand Master of the Emerald open the coffers of the Order and began the daunting task of renovating the city. Work progressed quickly, with the building of schools, soup kitchens, and even the rebuilding of a great library.

However, in the underbelly of the city, an order of a different type watched in dismay and disgust as the monks transformed Deithon block by block, and plotted for the best time to strike…

Deithon

The city of Deithon was, up until recently, a city in decline. Though it once had a reputation for scholarship of all sorts – it contained numerous academies and was a storehouse for all sorts of ancient knowledge – it suffered greatly at the hands of an invading army. That army burned the great library at Deithon to the ground, and the city never really recovered.

The wealthy and noble shut themselves in their towers behind well kept walls, while they allowed the Merchant’s Quarter to fall into disrepair. Worst, they pushed all of the city’s halflings into the Low Quarter (once the Student’s Quarter, which housed the great library), creating a massive ghetto which quickly became ruled by gangs and even worse elements.

However, since the Emerald Order has come to Deithon, the town has quickly changed. Monks are everywhere, building, teaching, and assisting in any way they can. They have cleaned up whole neighborhoods in the merchant’s and low quarters, and are slowly making their way across the ghettos of the Low Quarter. A handful of schools full of little halflings have sprouted up (as well as several schools for older halflings wishing to learn to read and write), and everywhere the ghetto’s inhabitants are being put busily to work. The city is truly in the middle of a full blown (if very quick) renaissance.

However, a gang known only as the Rat Pack – up until the arrival of the monks the defacto rulers of the Low Quarter – do not like what they have seen, and are now seeking for a way to regain their power.

Adventure Hooks

PCs can becoming involved with the Child of Jade for a number of reasons. As always, the best hooks are always campaign specific. However, a pair of hooks designed to attract PCs to the city of Deithon follow:

-PCs may wish to see the Child of Jade. This is could be especially true for bards or those with a connection to the Emerald Order.

-Rumors have surfaced that Deithon, once a center of knowledge, has begun reconstructing the Great Library, and several caches of scrolls (magical and otherwise) thought lost in the fires hundreds of years ago have already been found. Certain PCs (bards, wizards, or simply those with a desire for ancient knowledge) may wish to get a peek at such things.

NPCs

Jasmine: Halfling Paragon Infant
The Child of Jade is a six month old infant who happens to be perfect in every way. Her birth (according to the ancient writings of the Order of the Emerald Renaissance) will usher in an era of peace, enlightenment, and intellectual progress. In those same writings, she is described as the reincarnation of the founder of the Emerald Order. Even as a baby, she has an air of tranquility around her, as if she knows things beyond the ken of normal men.

Jasmine has, in game terms, the Paragon template, adjusted due to the fact that she is an infant (for example, her strength is not yet that of a Paragon, though it might well be in another 6 months). As such she is very resistant to harm in comparison to a normal halfling child. As she matures, Jasmine will come into her own, eventually taking levels in the Racial Paragon: Halfling class and further able to take advantage of the powerful abilities granted by the Paragon template.

The Order of the Emerald Renaissance
The Emerald Order is a group of monks dedicated to finding enlightenment through learning. They are valued as scribes, counselors, and sages by those who know. The Emerald Order is primarily an organization of halflings, though they have on occasion taken members of other races into their fold. They are headed by the Grand Master of the Emerald, a halfling monk of very advanced years (and pretty advanced level, too).

Most members of the Order are not described here, as they are simply halfling monks of levels 1 through 3, tasked with teaching, building, and cooking in the ghettos of the Low Quarter. However, the PCs will likely end up dealing with Sister Tarise, described below.

Sister Tarise: 6th level human monk
Sister Tarise has been charged as a “nanny” of sorts for the Child of Jade. Her task is to assist the child’s mother in whatever ways she deems fit. She is further tasked with protecting the Child from harm if necessary.

The Rat Pack: Wererat Pack
This gang of wererats (exclusively halfling) has had a quiet stranglehold on the Low Quarter for about a generation, and has been slowly encroaching on the Merchant’s Quarter for years. While no one really knows that the Rat Pack is a group of lycanthropes, it is an open secret that people who cross the gang “disappear” in the middle of the night.

All members of the Rat Pack have at least one level in Rogue.

Since the arrival of the Order, the Pack has lost whatever hold they had over the Merchant’s Quarter, and they are quickly losing ground in the ghettos. Worse, their leadership has been ineffectual in finding ways to stop it – the usual tactics (protection scams, bribery, etc.) aren’t working against the monks. This was recently resolved in a bloody coup. The Rat Pack is currently (and newly) ruled by a Glass (Ftr2/Rog5/Ass1), a viscous little one eyed halfling who personally slew every rival he had after killing the old guard. Glass has a perverse love for killing with poison, and has cultivates many different types of herbs, molds, etc for their manufacture. Currently, his favorite poison is a tincture of feathers from the namesake of Haniga’s Bird of Paradise (below – this poison is mechanically equivalent to Large Scorpion Venom with the added effect that it also paralyzes its victims for 1 to 6 hours), though he is also partial to belladonna (and keeps a fresh supply on hand to cow his fellow wererats, who have a healthy fear of the stuff).

Glass has big plans for the Rat Pack, and plans on eventually ruling all of Deithon (and possibly more). However, he knows that, as long as the monks are in the city, he will be unable to bring any of his plans to fruition. As a result, he has decided to run the Order out by kidnapping (or killing if he has to) the child that brought them here in the first place.

Haniga: Dwarven Expert
Hanigan is the owner of the Bird of Paradise, a flophouse, bawdyhouse, and whorehouse that also happens to be the biggest house in the Low Quarter. She is an old harridan of a woman – sharp tongued, bad tempered, and more than a little cranky. She despises anything and everything except for 1) wealth, and 2) her collection of rare and exotic birds, who live uncaged in the high rafters of her establishment. Her prize is an actual bird of paradise of particularly large size, that perches on the top rafter, coming down occasionally to dine on bits left by Haniga or her patrons.

Unknown to Haniga (who is much more interested in keeping her birds), the Rat Pack keeps a safe hole underneath her establishment, and come and go frequently through the always present crowd at the Bird of Paradise. As far as Haniga is concerned, Glass is simply renting a room in the back (where this entrance lies). This safe hole has connecting tunnels to the sewers of the city.

Events

Events described below are meant to serve as a loose guideline of NPC actions that assume no interference by the PCs. Of course, once the PCs interefere (because that’s what PCs tend to do) these actions will adjust accordingly.

When the PCs arrive –

When (for whatever reason) the PCs arrive in Deithon, they will be greeted by a bustling city. Everywhere they will see the green robed monks of the Order, and everyone will be talking about the Child of Jade. In general, people will be open and friendly, though if the PCs stray too far into the unrenovated part of the Low Quarter they will be less so. The monks, in particular will be very willing to answer questions, and will likely encourage the PCs to see the Child of Jade, who “visits” areas of the city every afternoon. PCs who inquire will be told that the child will be visiting the grounds of the Great Library (in an area of the Low Quarter that has just begun reconstruction) the next time she makes her rounds.

The first afternoon after the PCs arrive –

The first full afternoon after the PCs arrive in town (which might even be the same day they arrive if the did so in the morning), the Child of Jade, her mother, and Sister Tarise (with several other lower level monks in tow) will make an appearance in the Low Quarter and slowly make their way toward the plaza where the foundations of the Library stand. Mother and child will be carried on a palanquin carried by four monks, while Sister Tarise and two other monks range in front and behind. On this trip, the Rat Pack (a total of 10, not including Glass, who will be likewise hidden in the crowd watching – 1 5th level rogue, 2 4th level, 2 3rd level, and the rest 1st level)) will strike from among the crowd, throwing poisoned daggers at the monks to weaken/incapacitate them and attempting to steal the child. Note that the sneak attacks from the rogues will likely hit the flat footed monks, and if the PCs are not present to intervene this attack will definitely succeed, leaving several monks dead and both the child’s mother and Sister Tarise poisoned and paralyzed.

If the PCs are able to intervene, then the attack will still go off as planned. Likely, the Rat Pack will also still be able to incapacitate the guards and kidnap the child, as they have a large amount of surprise. In addition, if any of the Rats gets the child (which will be wrapped in swaddling), they will immediately take off into the crowd, attempting to lose themselves in it. To make this more difficult, Glass has also paid a dozen more halflings to serve as “bait” – they each bear something the size and shape of a baby in swaddling and will break into a run if a chase ensues, scattering as they run. While this doesn’t preclude the PCs from finding the right halfling with the right bundle, it should make it very difficult. Note that the PCs should quickly figure out that their opposition isn’t quite normal the first time they encounter the Pack’s DR.

In any case, if the Rat Pack successfully kidnaps the baby, they will eventually meet up in the safe hole underneath the Bird of Paradise. If the party successfully gives chase, then they will still head in that direction, though they will attempt to enter the underbelly of the city more quickly (if this is the case, feel free to ambush PCs in hot pursuit).

After the kidnapping –

Assuming the Rat Pack succeeds (either because the PCs weren’t there to stop them or because they failed to stop them), they will inadvertently leave several clues behind as to their identity and their whereabouts:

1) The fresh poison: PCs with enough alchemical knowledge (or poison knowledge) might be able to discover the origins of the poison. If they do (and find out that it’s based on an actual bird of paradise), they should be able to find out about Haniga’s establishment
2) Feathers: PCs who make appropriate spot checks might see tufts of feathers all over the scene of the crime. As above, inquiry could lead them to Haniga.
3) The Hirelings: Not all of the halflings serving as cover for the getaway are Rat Pack-ers. Successful Gather Information checks might eventually bring out leads from those individuals.

If the PCs are not able to put these clues together, then the Order will be served with an ultimatum – leave the city at once or the child dies. If this happens, the Order will quietly contact the PCs to rescue the girl, and give the PCs the same lead as in 1) above.

The Bird of Paradise –

All of the clues should lead the PCs to Haniga’s place – a huge building that was once fabulous but is now ramshackle. It has a dozens of large rooms, even more small rooms, and a large multi story atrium full of birds. Those with enough Knowledge (Nature) should be able to pick out the bird of paradise, and those with a high Spot might match the name plate hanging over the entrance with the bird in the rafters.

If the PCs approach Haniga with questions, she will be uncooperative in the extreme, living up to her reputation as a hag and a harridan. However, she does know that several of her regulars (including Glass, who she knows to be a high up in the Rat Pack) came in with a bundle and headed for the back rooms. If PCs attempt to examine any of her birds – especially the Bird of Paradise – she will become even more uncooperative, and order them out (and a handful of dwarf and half-orc bouncers will attempt to toss them).

If the PCs were at the kidnapping and failed to stop it, several of the Rat Pack in the crowd at the bawdyhouse will keep watch over them and slip away to warn Glass. If so, Glass will have more than one surprise waiting for them should they investigate his room and find the secret passageway to his hideaway.

In a small window in his room, Glass has a pot of belladonna he uses for poisons.

If the PCs find Glass and the Child of Jade –

While the PCs play catch up, Glass has a change of heart – after spending a short amount of time with Jasmine, he realizes that the only thing better than getting the monks to leave by using the child is by using the child directly, by making her part of the Rat Pack. By the time the PCs arrive, he will have bitten her several times (finding out the hard way that she has an unbelievable amount of natural protection to damage – only his sneak attack makes it possible for him to get through her DR on a CDG) and she will be infected with lycanthropy.

If the PCs manage to catch up to Glass, they will have a fight on their hands. If the DM wishes, this can be a rollicking affair that leads the PCs all over the sewers as Glass organizes multiple ambushes, triggers traps, and harasses the party with his wererats. In the end, Glass will go down fighting in hybrid form, ultra confident in his abilities even if all hope is lost.

Aftermath

Assuming that the PCs succeed in rescuing the Child of Jade, they still have the problem of curing her lycanthropy (which can be done with either the fresh belladonna tincture Glass keeps or by finding his belladonna plants he grows in his room at the Bird of Paradise). If for some reason they are unable to cure her, then they will have bigger problems, a powerful (if small) halfling wererat begins prowling the streets during the full moon.

Quick Recap:

Ghetto: the Low Quarter of Deithon, a place full of poor halflings and the setting for the adventure
Bird of Paradise: Both the establishment owned by Haniga and, more importantly, an important clue to finding the kidnappers
Fresh Poison: Both a clue to finding the kidnappers and the means of stopping the Child of Jade from becoming a lycanthrop.
Racial Paragon: The Child of Jade herself
Harridan: Haniga, bird lover and owner of the Bird of Paradise
Renaissance: The revival of Deithon and the reason for the kidnapping

Capellan

Explorer
You don't like my brew? You don't like my brew? I shall have my revenge! Revenge on you and your club-footed friend!

* sounds of a scuffle as Wykros is dragged away to the loony bin *

Congratulations, CarpeDavid.

(re: comic timing and when Wykros' plans to have his revenge. 'tis a pun: he's timing it based on the comic('s performance). buh-dum-bum-tish)

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
ENWorld problems yesterday, my own ISP trouble today, sheesh! Anyway, I'd like to start off by congratulating Zappo on his win and thanking Wulf for judging. Now to the gritty.

I completely agree with Wulf that I had a good start and kinda went downhill from there. Probably a result of how I went about writing the entry and where I lingered doing it. Like Zappo, I too had to do much cutting of material to keep the length of the thing reasonable, though I cut stuff straight from my outline as I'm not one to do multiple drafts on something like this. I also think I spent a little too much time working out the 'cool adventure factor' and not quite as much as I should have on the actual ingredients - which should never be neglected, as this is IronDM, not a Dungeon Magazine submission.

Garesk being a recurring enemy was in the outline somewhere - his personality and occupation lent very well to retreat and subsequential sniping of the party under probably already stressful circumstances. He also couldn't return to the city and the angry caliph if he failed to return the girl, and that would most likely be the PCs' fault. Didn't make it into the entry for lack of space, mostly. I also didn't want to focus on after effects or stats in my entry.

I really tried to make the tarantella a prominent ingredient, partially so I'd remember what it was, as I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the term before I saw it as an ingredient. I too tend to write adventures cinematically, and the scene of miserable, forced dancers flinging shadows into the desert night was really the first core image I hit upon.

The crematorium was initially a little tough, but I figured with real estate (good cave real estate) scarce in the desert, doing double duty on a location would make sense. Tying the ashes of the foot bones to the dancing dust was a way to really make sure that it didn't seem nonsensical, and gave a good explanation for the curse. Also, I like the idea of the villager's former ancestors bones being used as a sacred ritual component, as well as being used against them. I was thinking of putting in an appearance by The Dancing One towards the end - After seeing Zappo's entry I think perhaps a 'tunnel vision' could have worked there as a god-inspired prompting. I didn't really think of it at the time though, and the god's appearance seemed superfluous, especially with my limited time and wordcount.

The disappearing arrows - I guess it does seem sort of contrived. Originally I had him using arrows of brilliant energy, sniping through the walls of tents, etc. Couldn't think of a way for the poison to get on an energy arrow though, seemed unlikely to me, so I changed them to disappearing assassin arrows. I didn't remember that they leave real arrow holes until later and decided to just leave the injuries for the PCs to find. I thought of perhaps making blunt disappearing arrows, but that seemed even more contrived unless I could find a way to incorporate that into the story further, and I couldn't.

I did think of having Garesk spread the poison another way, but I decided that the archery aspect had to be maintained, and I was thinking at the time that the blunt instrument aspect would be stronger.

Wulf said: "I could have lived with Garesk’s archery being less important, if for no other reason than to preserve verisimilitude."

Well why didn't you tell me that Monday night? ;)

The club symbol was representative of the dancing sticks, which were supposed to be the Danging One's holy symbol. They were used by the priests to keep rythym in the dances in his honor, etc. They were a beloved icon of the god, representing his dogma to the people. I guess I didn't make that very clear, but that was what I was going for. They were represented on the skin when the toxin was taken by the priests as a further sign of their piety (and also so they would know when it was working and when it had worn off). I actually thought this was a pretty good use of the ingredient, and I liked the image of the traditional rituals to the dancing god, with villagers dancing frenzily and others beating out a crazy rythym with the sticks in a circle around them - sort of like an african tribal dance. I think that didn't really come across. I had some extra paragraphs about the rituals and such, but I cut them as I thought they weren't needed for the adventure... perhaps a mistake. I was also using the priestess as a blunt instrument, she was a little slow and Garesk was using her to convey his 'godly intent' to the people. I had a little more with the village leader, but didn't get to it (see below).

The tunnel vision was difficult. In my original thoughts on the matter, Ophiran (the village leader) had a much more prominent part. He was to be getting his information from Shadik, and they would both be doing the 'tunnel vision' thing regarding their duties. Shadik would be ignoring other sources of the curse, and passing that on to Ophiran, who would neglect to look at things like the new villagers (Jareena & Hophas) as possible causes for this problem in his zeal to just try and get it solved. I also liked the visual of the shadows of the dancers in the elevated cave being seen from the village and off in the desert (a vision seen through a tunnel opening, so to speak).

In the end, I think I made a few mistakes. I should have made sure that my editing didn't affect the overall effect and use of ingredients, and made sure they were all appropriately and clearly explained. I probably should have just bit the bullet and kept the entry longer - but I was worried that I'd be writing 'too bad I made it so damn long, otherwise...' here instead of this ;) Guess I know that the 2500 word limit isn't as big a sticking point (with Wulf as judge anyway) for future tourneys.

Still, I had fun and was finally able to participate (yay!). I don't feel too bad about the loss, as Zappo's was a good entry, and I had a feeling after reading it that it was going to be hard case for mine anyway. I look forward to watching the rest of the tourney play out. I'll definitely be around for future competitions, and I'll close with the traditional IronDM sentiment that Zappo really needs to take the gold here so that I can at least say I lost to the best! :)

-spacemonkey

Ah, and if only the ingredient had been a dancing girl or a faithful eunuch instead of tunnel vision... ;)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
ROUND 1, MATCH 3: Enkidhu vs Howandwhy99

Ghetto

Bird of Paradise

Fresh Poison

Racial Paragon

Harridan

Renaissance

A Bird in the Hand

Background

Teran’duvril, is an old Elven city hidden deep within secluded forest lands. Like many of Elven cities, it decided to remove itself from the outside world long ago. Slowly, the high elves and fey of the city became more rigid in their ways and the ancient secrets and powerful magics at one time commonplace were put away and forgotten by new generations. However, the outside world changed quickly by comparison. Many of the younger races made their own discoveries and eventually explored and expanded into the forest near Teran’duvril. In a surprising move, the leaders of the city decided to reopen its borders and allow all peaceful visitors.

In truth, the High Elven Council, recognized that the city was slowly dying. Ancient fey laws had transformed into hierarchical prejudices and rampant inequality. While the ‘true’ fey (elves) lived in the trees and towers above, ‘lesser’ fey (mainly gnomes, grigs, brownies, etc) were forced to live on the forest floor and in the roots of the trees below. Over time this segregated section of the city had turned decrepit and the ghettoized fairie folk within downtrodden.

Elven and Fey gods, fickle as they are, decided to reward the Council’s wise decision to open the city, but also to challenge the existing injustices between their peoples. A Celestial golden dove, a symbol of the city’s namesake (Teran’duvril = dove’s landing), flew down from the starry heavens and led the awed folk to a forgotten cache of ancient learning. As fate would have it, the stored books and unknown magics were stored below the trees in the poorest section of the city. After hidden doors and locks opened before it, the bird itself landed in front of the entrance and changed into a golden statuette.

When word of the discovery spread scholars and historians from all lands flocked to Teran’duvril. During that first year many discoveries were made and the city became vibrant again, fulfilling the hopes of the High Elven Council. Moreover, on the yearly anniversary of the dove’s flight, the golden statuette animated once more and flew to another hidden cache of learning (again in the poorest city quarter below the trees). With ready access to ancient books and devices, and the seeming yearly promise of even more such treasures, outsiders took up residence around Taren’duvril. A true renaissance of learning is in the blooming.

Until yesterday; when the golden statuette was stolen.

PC Hooks

The PCs could have any number of reasons for being in the city. As long as they stay within, ongoing events are almost certain to affect them somehow.

1.) The PC’s may want to simply hunt for the statuette themselves. Several others in the city of all stripes will be as well. The Council has offered a reward.

2.) A handful of murders, seen as commonplace in the poor district, are judged secondary to the robbery. The Council may hire the PC’s to take care of this instead.

3.) If neither bait is taken, others in town will start to solve some of the mysteries and will eventually arrest Ghiblie Gollyberry. He will plead with the PC’s to clear his name.

4.) 1 and 2 could be done simultaneously.

Sequence of Events #1

In the ghetto beneath the city proper, a handful of murders have occurred. Clues include:

• Three male middle-aged gnomes have been found dead in the streets.
  • Testing their dead bodies will reveal the presence of an unknown poison.
  • Questioning locals will reveal that each was the paramour of a randy, old female gnome named Jeemee Greenfinger. Loud-mouthed and highly critical of the High Elven Council, this harridan has a wonton reputation, but was widely regarded for her herbalist skills.
  • Investigation of Jeemee Greenfinger will reveal her dead body hidden in her underhome. She has not been poisoned, but her throat is clearly cut.
  • The body has been dead since the day of the original robbery.
  • Searching the home: Amongst the herbs and plants, three shrub pots appear to have had their stalks pulled out.
  • Questioning Jeemee’s dead body: Jeemee saw her killer’s face clearly. It was her son’s, his name changed to Ghibli Gollyberry now; he had disowned her long ago. She doesn’t understand why the plants are missing. They were Bird of Paradise shrubs.

Presumably, the next step is to find Ghibli Gollyberry. If this is the only hook the PC’s took, the other sequence of events will make his name famous shortly.

Sequence of Events #2

Across the city citizens are frantically searching to find the golden statuette. The city guard is mainly trying to keep control.

• Attacks on gnomes and other fey by a powerful elven sorcerer could draw the PC’s into battle.
  • Rumors spread of fights breaking out between magical gnomes. Some claim that one gnome has the statuette.
  • Several false statuettes are found around the city.
  • The Council issues an alert that some of ancient magical items have also been stolen including an ancient poison used in recent murders.
  • The Council uses divination magic to determine that Ghibli Gollyberry was the last to enter the vault of relics. His whereabouts are unknown.
  • Some citizens claim that Ghibli is the cause of the chaos and rumors. They point out that his illusion magic and combat prowess would account for some of the rumored events.
  • If the PC’s don’t find it first, the golden statuette will be uncovered in traveling chest hidden in Ghibli’s apartments.
  • A beaten and torn Ghibli will be found some hours later lying unconscious in the undercity. If the PC’s don’t find him, the city guard will.

What’s really going on?

Ghibli, jealous that he could never qualify for the Elven High Council, decided to take the test of elven maturity to prove his worth. Set up in secluded room, a mirror of opposition allows elves to overcome their greatest threat: themselves. Sadly, the creators never planned on any other than ‘true’ elves peering into it, so all personal reflections (and thereby nemesis) are of elvenkind. Not knowing what to expect, Ghibli’s nemesis attacked him. Quick as ever he got away, but the nemesis is still after him. As it knows everything Ghibli does, it is currently trying to frame him for the murder of his mother and her illicit lovers. It’s also trying to destroy all he holds dear by taking away the source of the city’s future knowledge. In an effort to stop his nemesis, Ghibli has been chasing him (and has been chased) through the streets of Teran’duvril. Wisely disguising himself to appear as different people, he hopes to when back the golden statuette and destroy his nemesis. If caught, he tells the truth. On the other hand, catching two high level bardic paragons attacking each other across the city won’t be easy.

Main Players

Jeemee Greenfinger -

Jeemee is the disowned mother of Ghibli Gollyberry famous paragon of the gnomish race. Her own life, however, has been slightly different. She speaks her mind often and loudly. She despises the snobbery of the city above and has actively mocked their snobbery. Digging around in dirt and plants all day, and taking lovers as she pleases, she is seen by even a few of her own folk as a stereotypical example of gnomish unworthiness. The Elven High Council will take her death as a bad sign, as they fear the statuette was stolen by ghetto insurgents.

Ghibli Gollyberry – Ghibli believes he grew up in poverty and willful vice. Even at a young age he displayed an enormous amount of talent in several areas. Ambitious, he publicly disowned his mother and moved to the upper city hoping for a better life. Fortune smiled upon him and he found apprentice work under an openminded elven bard. He has worked harder all his life and, as a result, become a true renaissance gnome with vast expertise in a number of areas. A high level bard and paragon of his gnomish racial virtues (UA p32, template), Ghibli is one of the few non-elvish fey respected outside the ghetto. (His specialties include: illusions, enchantments, musical performance, personal combat, obscure knowledge, and especially alchemy).

The Nemesis – The nemesis is the racial elven counterpart to Ghibli. It sees its sole purpose in life as the complete destruction and ruin of Ghibli Gollyberrry. It knows everything Ghibli knew when he looked into the mirror of (racial) opposition. Other than racial differences (and paragon templates), the nemesis has the exact same skill set and knowledge as Ghibli. While he does not wish to hurt others outside of his quarry, he will do whatever is necessary to complete his goal. Unfortunately, anyone with an attachment to or from Ghibli are fair game.

The High Elven Coucil – The council is made up of only elven elders. They are highly intelligent and will act towards two ends: the reacquisition of the golden dove statuette and the protection of those dignitaries and visiting scholars within the city. They will nominally aid those who help, but anyone siding with unsavory ghetto leaders or Ghibli once he’s been captured will be considered a threat. They use their power to maintain order and directing a small force of city guard in recapturing the statuette.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Ghetto – the undercity of Teran’Duvril

Bird of Paradise – both the bird from the fey gods and the activating agent to an ancient poison

Fresh Poison – the poision used to kill Jeemee’s lovers. Made an active reagent from her own flowers.

Racial Paragon – Ghibli Gollyberry, the nemesis who is both equal and rival (alt. def.)

Harridan – Jeemee Greenfinger, Ghibli’s mother

Renaissance – The effect of the bird’s arrival to the city.

Hmmm.. Looks like I'm a little past time.

The entry isn't everything I had hoped it would be, but I hope you enjoy it anyways.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
howandwhy99 said:
Hmmm.. Looks like I'm a little past time.

The prerogative lies with Enkhidu as you are, technically, past the deadline-- I await his (her?) preference.

Do you want the DQ or do you want to take your chances, Enkhidu?

Wulf

carpedavid

First Post
Capellan said:
Congratulations, CarpeDavid.
Thanks! I thought your mustard jellies had me sunk. I'm glad I was wrong :)

Overall, I agree with Wulf's analysis, especially about the weakness of the trailblazer ingrediant. I tried my hardest to make everything usable by the PCs - I know that hiding an ingredient in the backstory is a big no-no - but he just didn't come across as "blazing" as I wanted him to be. Unfortunatly, having a static location for the brewery just tied him down too much, and I wasn't able to compensate.

I also thought the comments in regard to potentially missing out on the brewery fight if the PCs succeded in defeating 12:2 in the hive was a good catch. I think, in a revision, I might structure it a bit differently - although I wouldn't want to railroad the PCs into having to end up at the brewery, if they could conceivably be successful in the hive.

Cool, I'm looking forward to the next round.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Thank you, kind sir.

You are a true gentlemen.

Don't let the casual tone above fool you. The first thing through my head was: Damn, not again!

Remove ads