[IRON DM] Winter '04 Tournament (IRON DM ANNOUNCED!)

Quickbeam

Explorer
I like the double meaning in your "Question is Moot" reference. It applies both to my hasitness in answering questions before they're finished, and ties nicely into the Entmoot.

BTW, these ingredients are so much more ordinary (for lack of a better term) than the last two competitions I entered, that I'm left temporarily befuddled. Challenges come in many forms I suppose.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Quickbeam said:
BTW, these ingredients are so much more ordinary (for lack of a better term) than the last two competitions I entered, that I'm left temporarily befuddled. Challenges come in many forms I suppose.

I think ours are the most ordinary, and thus, the most befuddling...

I was, at the least, inspired by certain imagery...

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Round One - First Match-Up:

Wulf "Built-In Excuse" Ratbane vs. Lazarus "Can't Keep Him Down" Long

Ingredients
-----------------
Demon Summoning Circle
Chaotic Priest
Ruby-Eyed Idol
Pool of Acid
Agoraphobia
Ogre Tribe

A SIMPLE DIVERSION
An adventure for 4th level PCs

Background:
This adventure revolves around the machinations of two competing villains: Guroz, a lawful evil half-orc priest of Hextor (domains War and Law), and Emirikol the Chaotic, a chaotic neutral human priest of the demigod Iuz (domains Trickery and Chaos). Both are around 7th level. Neither priest’s aspirations are particularly great (at least for the moment) though both have managed to muster a band of humanoids with promises of slaughter and pillage. By force of arms and common interest, Guroz has assembled a band of two-score hobgoblin militia; and through trickery and deceit Emirikol has persuaded an ogre tribe of about a dozen foul souls to Iuz’s cause of discord and destruction.

Time is of the essence with this adventure, though the DM (via Emirikol’s Bluff skill) should have no trouble enticing a low-level group of adventurers with promises of glory, duty, and/or loot. The DM should attempt to hook the PCs as they are recovering from their last adventure, selling loot, leveling up, and resting in the Green Griffon inn.

Emirikol, together with his ogre tribe, had taken residence in a ruined temple not far from the town, to begin planning a raid on the outlying farms. Emirikol has made several trips into town (his face is known to some of the townsfolk, Gather Information DC15) and on one trip into town, he purchased a scroll of planar ally (Gather Information DC20). (Emirikol had intended to use the scroll to summon a demon for a raid on the town itself.) On each of his trips into town, Emirikol has kept to himself, seeming overly nervous and ill-at-ease (if the PCs have already found someone who remembers Emirikol through a prior Gather Information check, this piece of information is only DC10).

Unfortunately for Emirikol, the villainous Guroz also has designs on the town. His hobgoblin warband is well-equipped at his own expense, but his money is running dry and the hobgoblins are growing anxious (not the least because Guroz is a stinking half-orc). Hobgoblin scouts discovered the ogre tribe encamped underground in the ruins. Having surprise, and missile-fire superiority on their side, and having no particular desire to share any loot, Guroz’s band attacked. Better to strike with the advantage, Guroz wisely reasoned, than risk an alliance with ogres who could turn on his men while in their midst.

Emirikol and his ogres were forced down into the ruins. Guroz and his band pursued, but in the confines of the ruined halls, much of their advantage was lost. Both camps took up defensive positions within the ruins (though only mere yards from each other as the worm crawls). The situation turned into a complete stalemate.

Out of desperation or spite, Emirikol created a demon-summoning circle, used his scroll of planar ally, and a babau was dispatched by Iuz to his aid. The aid of Iuz is not cheaply bought. In exchange for a promise to destroy Guroz and his minions, Emirikol promised the demon four innocent souls.

Release me… and bring me the souls… and our bargain is struck.

Emirikol answered the telepathic bargain aloud. “I will bring you the souls, then release you, and you will fulfill your bargain.”

All of this took place yesterday.

Bargaining at the Green Griffon
When Emirikol enters the Green Griffon to enlist the PCs to his aid, he will seem extremely nervous. He will hover around the door, attempting to call the PCs to him, and suggest moving the discussion outside. The most likely reason for Emirikol’s behavior is his guilty, scheming nature, bolstered not a little by the fact that he’s having serious second thoughts about the wisdom of contracting with a demon.

His explanation to the PCs, however, is that he is simply agoraphobic—closed spaces, crowds, and the like give him panic attacks. Certainly there’s no need for Emirikol to pretend to be nervous; he IS nervous, and beyond that his Bluff skill should convince the PCs that he speaks true.

Emirikol will inform the PCs that he has been gathering his courage to investigate a nearby ruin, where a great treasure can be found. He was only a few feet into the complex when he was overcome with a panic attack, and to make matters worse, he was attacked by a band of hobgoblins (foul minions of a priest of Hextor!). He barely escaped with his life. He will freely offer his services as a priest (of Zagyg…), and a share of the treasure, if they will help him drive off the evil priest and the hobgoblins, and help him investigate the ruin. He is particularly concerned that the evil priest will attempt to restore the ruined temple to the glory of Hextor.

Emirikol will humor whatever preparations the group wants to make, even going so far as to help equip them out of his own pocket, but he will constantly hurry them forward.

“Time is of the essence—we must stop him before he desecrates the temple.”

In point of fact, uknown to Emirikol, the half-orc Guroz has already begun steps to do just that—though more from a sense of self-preservation than piety. His spies have reported the existence of the demon, and the ever-wise Guroz is a step ahead of Emirikol once again. In the intervening time, Guroz has cast a canonize spell (the lawful equivalent of hallow/unhallow), protecting the entire area as if with protection from chaos and further complicating matters by tying a dimensional anchor effect over the area. The intent was to provide him and his henchmen with protection from the summoned demon, an effect that has not gone unnoticed by the babau. As the effect of canonize will last for a year at least, the babau is now into this bargain for the long haul—and more than he bargained for.

The canonization of the ruin to the precepts of Law leaves it a particularly unwelcoming place for chaotically-aligned creatures, including the demon, the ogres, Emirikol, and perhaps some of the PCs.

The Temple Ruin
Outside the ruin the PCs may find evidence of a battle (through Tracking) showing footprints (easy DC) of both hobgoblins and ogres (average DC), though in the trampled much aboveground it will be difficult to guess numbers (very difficult DC). Emirikol will have no compunctions about selling out the ogres if necessary. “Already the priest of Hextor calls greater evil to his side. This place will soon become a beacon… We must hurry!”

Shortly after setting foot in the underground areas, Emirikol will begin to feel the effects of the canonize. He will wonder in his mind at the effect—not dissimilar to agoraphobia—and seek to leave the area immediately. He will now start to genuinely panic. Any chaotic PCs in the party will feel similar discomfort, perhaps lending credence to his lie, perhaps leading them to wonder if there is more at play than his alleged agoraphobia.

Emirikol will attempt to stay behind, offering to cast what beneficial spells he may, to remain topside as a retreat for healing, etc., but he will not want to enter. Indeed, if forced to enter, he begins to look for an opportunity to flee the scene altogether in search of greener pastures. Let the PCs deal with the demon…

Evil in Conflict
As the party explores the underground ruin, the DM can have them come across either group of evil humanoids, or perhaps both groups locked together in battle. Remember that Lawful PCs (and the hobgoblins) gain a +2 deflection bonus against the chaotic ogres (and chaotic PCs!). Depending on the strength of the party, the DM can reduce the size of either force, reduce the hit points of either force (as if through the attrition of prior battles), or divide the groups into smaller encounters and allow the PCs to come at them piecemeal. It is a fairly straightforward dungeon romp, as far as the PCs are concerned.

The Idol
The babau cannot break free of its demon summoning circle, and even if it could, it cannot now attack any of the hobgoblins that it was contracted to destroy. This does not make for a happy demon. Fortunately, as the ogres have moved out to battle, the babau has been left to his own devices, and he has not been idle; he freely uses his telepathy to keep tabs on the creatures within the complex—including the PCs.

The PCs will eventually find their way back to the redoubt where Emirikol had holed up and summoned his demon.

The babau has used his Disguise skill (+13) to disguise himself as a statue of a demon, with rubies for eyes. He holds his hands cupped before him, as if holding something valuable. Wisps of smoke trail out from between “the idol’s” fingers, though he otherwise stands motionless and can do so for an eternity. Unless a PC has considerable experience with outsiders, he should easily pass for a large, slime-covered statue.

Spotting the magic circle on the ground requires a Spot check (DC15), though identifying it requires a Spellcraft check.

One important clue may give the babau away: He stands in a pool of acid that drips down unbidden from his slimy skin. This is not readily apparent at a distance (DC20 Spot) unless a character Searches the statue—but of course, anyone who approaches close enough to Search will disturb the summoning circle and release the demon. A character approaching to “steal” the ruby eyes may be surprised when the demon takes the rubies from his eyes and offers them with a grin…

You want these…?

Mayhem!
The DM can now throw whatever he likes at the PCs—any remaining hobgoblins, ogres, Guroz or Emirikol (if he hasn’t fled already). If the PCs are wary of the demon, either the hobgoblins or a fool ogre may disturb the circle (though Emirikol, if present, will under no circumstances do so!)

Remember that lawful PCs are protected against the babau—unless they attack him first, he cannot attack them physically. The DM should weight things in the PCs favor, just enough to give them a hard fight. Guroz (if he’s still alive) may well offer a truce; indeed, the ogres themselves may prove essential to overcoming the babau’s damage reduction, as only they have much hope of doing more than 10 points of damage. If Emirikol is not present, the ogres will fight alongside the PCs and the hobgoblins-- at least until the demon is slain—at which point the PCs had better watch their backs!

If Emirikol is present for the mayhem, he’ll quickly ally with the PCs, as he’ll have his hands full with Guroz, his own disgruntled ogres, and of course the demon. All bets are off at this point, though the DM may wish to let the PCs in on Emirikol’s true nature at this point. (“I brought you souls! We had a bargain!” It is at this point that Emirikol may well and truly suffer a panic attack and flee screaming like a girl…)

If Emirikol manages to slip away, the PCs will easily be able to track him down, if not simply for the mayhem he caused on his way out of town (blasting random folks with searing light, etc.)

Review of Ingredients:
Chaotic Priest—Emirikol the Chaotic
Agoraphobia—an anxiety caused by fear of crowds, enclosed spaces, and other places where escape is difficult; Emirikol’s constant complaint and excuse
Ogre Tribe—Emirikol’s henchmen, set against the lawful Guroz and his hobgoblins
Demon Summoning Circle—the trapped babau
Pool of Acid—a major clue for the PCs that not all is as it seems; caused by the babau, natch.
Ruby-Eyed Idol—the babau’s disguise, his last-chance gambit to break free

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
First Judgment. . .

Note: The winner and loser's names are hidden by the "spoiler" tag. You must highlight the area to view it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Round One – First Match-Up: Wulf Ratbane vs. LazarusLong

This round’s first match is the perfect example in contrast of what makes a good adventure and thus what makes for a good IRON DM entry. . . A winning IRON DM entry – at least most of the time.

But, before we continue with that, let’s look at the definition of Agoraphobia – n. a morbid fear of open spaces (as fear of being caught alone in some public place).

Seems to me someone got that wrong, or broaden the definition when it was convenient and then cinched it a little tighter on the other end. I only mention that right from the beginning because it is major error with an ingredient and a major error with even one ingredient can usually sink an entry when faced against adequate use of all the ingredients.

Did it happen this time? Let’s work our way towards it and you can see for yourself.

Specificity vs. Generalities – Right from the beginning I found myself doubting Lazrarus’ entry because of the generality of his set-up. He has some nameless magic making a succubus into a mobile pool of acid – can I just call time out here and say that that is just too weird and too wacky of an idea even a D&D game? It is just seems silly to me, and I think it would break the suspension of disbelief. I know it is kind of silly to say that in a setting with demons and ogres and magic and stuff, but still there are some things that tear at the seams for no good reason. And this is one of them. And while neither entry had all that strong of a hook to get the PCs involved, Wulf’s situation was specific and involved reasons and reasoning that had the main NPCs involved in the actual action.

Wulf smartly went for detailing that thing you can get away with detailing in an IRON DM entry because it only takes a sentence or two and its presence throughout a scenario only helps to develop it and bind it together with other ingredients, or is a central non-ingredient element that does that does the binding. I am talking about an NPC. And BOOM! There we have Emirkol the Chaotic, with a well-appreciated nod to one of my all-time favorite D&D books (still use it all the time) the 1e AD&D Dungeon’s Master’s Guide*, Wulf not only uses up one of the ingredients cunningly, but sets up a dynamic that is going to drive the adventure. That is, the rivalry between the two priests in the scenario does a lot in and of itself to describe their personalities and how they handle the situation once the PCs are involved. Revolving the adventure tightly with this one NPC also helped to build a foundation for a specific location/event to interact with, which is narrow in scope, but broad in possibilities. Wulf lays out the situation clearly in his introduction, and essentially creates what will be a great combat-based tactical encounter in the trappings of events happening beyond the scope of the PC’s world, thus revealing more about the setting and giving them some bait for future exposure to the implied culture of feuding priests if they have a taste for it.

Well done.

Shall we contrast with Lazarus’ long-since dead wizard and his superfluous magistrate? Why even bother? You can see where that’d go.

But Laz does redeem himself a bit with some of his other characters. His Chaotic Priest definitely seems weak-willed and his schemes with the statue and his spells and using them to fool the ogres has promise, but his agoraphobia seems kind of thrown in, which is a weak use of ingredient on an already merely adequate use with the chaotic priest. His being “chaotic” does not seem to come into play very much (if at all) in terms of the adventure, and the results of his faith only seems to serve to give him afore-mentioned weakly used. Agoraphobia.

But at least Lazrarus made an effort to explain it and weave it into what was going on. Emirkol’s feigning agoraphobia to get the party out of the tavern (Green Griffon, check) is perhaps the weakest use of an ingredient in all of Wulf’s entriess – and among the weakest ever, by anybody. Blech. The attempt to re-introduce it as a description of the effects of the Canonize spell is just throwing another handful of dirt on the grave of that is the use of this ingredient.

Aside: Where is that spell from anyway? It is a terrible name. The 4th and 5th definitions listed on Dictionary.com (To approve as being within canon law and To treat as sacred; glorify) show me where the idea came from, the word is too heavily associated with being something that happens to a person or scripture not a location. But the word is neither here nor there, I figured I’d just mention my opinion on the matter.

But the Agoraphobia? I did not see any relation to the behavior ascribed to Emirkol or the effects of the spell that fit the definition I included at the outset of this judgment or that which Wulf himself included in his ingredient review. It is hard blow on an otherwise interestingly little sidetrek adventure.

Intertwining Ingredients: There cases where I like LazarusLong’s individual entry use better than I do Wulf’s. Perfect example is the ogre tribe. Aside from being chaotic, evil and dangerous, Wulf’s tribe of ogres did not have to be what it was for the scenario to work AND had not unique feature to them that made them stand out as worthy of attention in and off themselves. However, Laz’s ogres have a bit of history to them and they have personality that a DM can use to present them in an intriguing and engaging light – they have found an idol to worship and they are easily tricked looking for something to latch on to now that they’ve left their home (not a very chaotic outlook, but an understandable one nonetheless).

Wulf Ratbane, on the other hand, wraps his ingredients together well. The ruby-eyed idol (again another nod to the 1e DMG) with it’s tempting optics within the demon-summoning circle is cleverly put together (though I have no idea what book the ‘Babau’ is from – so I have to ask whether they have some kind of natural acid attack or have acid skin or something in order for the ‘pool of acid’ to be included in this – If it is the case, well it is a great friggin’ idea and I applaud ya for it, and if not and you just decided to make this particular demon sweat acid or what-have-you just to shoehorn the ingredient, then shame on you!) But since the creature is not a core book thing and there was insufficient explanation in the entry I am left with no other choice than to shrug my shoulders and wonder if this entry might have been even better – and turned the obvious weakness of the ‘pool of acid’ into a strength – though it was still significantly better than the charming pool of acid that Laz gives us. And mighty rat bastardly of Wulf to make examination of the acid lead to setting the demon loose.

Oh, and the “You want these. . . line/description was priceless! I love it!

LazarusLong’s demon-summoning circle made of the innocents killed and dragged there by the ogres is a nice touch – but the means by which the PCs are then to discover the priest’s cave and the circle lacks a real draw.

Conclusions & Loose Threads: Another good thing about including strong NPCs in your adventures is that the PCs can create relationships with them, whether they be helpful, antagonistic or some combination of both. Wulf’s adventure, while not suggesting any follow-up loose threads implies plenty enough. There is the ruined temple, both priesthoods, whether on their own or feuding and the demon’s wrath to deal with. In Laz’s case all we are left with a neurotic priest who feels sorry for himself, but still not pitiable enough to make me (or, I think any, PCs) really give two craps about him.

In the end, it is fairly clear that
Wulf Ratbane
is the winner. In the end his entry seemed like it;d be the more interesting to play and while a “self-enclosed” little encounter, had more long-term stuff going for it than LazarusLong’s.

Sorry, Laz,
better luck next time. For what it is worth, I think you had some really good ideas and background material, and I think in a future IRON DM you’d likely do much better.

Wulf
, you move on to the next round, which I hope to have be against the winter of MacBeth vs. CarpeDavid. Congrats!

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
Round One - Second Match-Up:

Mac "Is This A Dagger I See Before Me?" Beth vs. Carpe "Seize This!" David

Ingredients
-----------------
Missing Children
Winter Wolves
13 Vicious Gnomes
Wish-Granting Cow
Crumbling Tower
Complacency

Fables and Fairy Tales

An adventure for low to mid Level PCs.

Summary:
Things have gone odd in the roadsie village where the PCs spend the night. Creatures from children's stories roam the streets, and every child in town has disappeared, presumably taken by a band of blood-thirsty gnomes that begin terrorizing the town while the PCs visit. The fairy tale creatures have turned dangerous, and it is up to the PCs to save the village.

This adventure is designed to played slightly tounge-in-cheek. Wile not purely a comic excersize, certain elements can easily be turned into jokes. It is important that the PCs feel that this is more then just a long joke. Try to keep things serious unless the PCs try to turn the story into a joke, in which case, run with it.

Prologue:
The town of Chedain has an interesting past, a past the no one remembers, for good reason. Chedain was once home of a great witch, a women so skilled in the magical arts that she held a region miles wide in her thrall, her name was Cercenes. Many a brave soul tried to defeat her, but none succeded. Finally, a plan was devised to stop her reign of terror. A magical book was crafted, disguised as a children's story book. The book had a powerful enchantment that could only be used once. The first time it was opened the person reading it would be sucked into the book, the entirety of their life instantly changed from fact to fiction. Cercenes was tricked into reading the book, and she was imprisoned within. Suddenly Chedain was a prosperous village with a long, boring, ordinary history, totally without Cercenes' influence. The memory of the witch quickly faded from the memries of the populace, becoming a popular fairy tale told to the young. But Cercenes lived on within the fiction of the book, gaining influence over the mythical creatures described in the children's stories within.

Stage 1: Enter the PCs
Chedain is a rather boring town, little more then a stoping point on a long road. The town is fairly succesfull, but with little of interest. The PCs can be brought onto the scene for any number of reaons, the most obvious and simple being that they simply need a place to stay during a long journey. The town has posters asking for information on lost children everywhere, but the populace seems quite calm given the obvious missing children problem. Finding a place to stay is no problem, and the PCs are made welcome in the local Inn.

If the PCs decide to investigate the posters about missing children, they find that almost all of them seem like some kind of sick practical joke. Almost every family, when asked about their missing child, says that they don't know what the PCs are talking about. They maintain that they have no missing child, and that the PCs must be looking for someone else. Only one family remembers the missing child, an older man and women, Mr. and Mrs. Grefend, living on the edge of town and looking for their lost daughter. The child just disappeared after playing out in the pastures one afternoon, when she never came back. They have no idea what happened to their daughter, Kailin, and maintain that she is the only one missing, that no other children from the town are missing. As the adventure progresses the Grefends forget about Kailin, and within 1d20+4 hours they have completely forgot their daughter, and deny that she ever existed.

Stage 2: Night in Chedain
During the night a band of Winter Wolves ridden by Gnomes rush thourgh the town, likely awaking the PCs (Listen DC 0). The gnomes are oddly dressed, looking like something out of a children's book, with exaggereated features and garish clothes (pointy hats are a good starting place). They ride into town, grab anything they can (possibly including the PCs posessions), and then leave, unless the PCs stop them. There are 13 Gnomes, with 2 riding each of 6 Winter Wolves and one acting as a rear guard, covering the way back out of town. If captured, the gnomes readilly reveal their names (Malice, Sloth, Greed, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Menace, Harm, Violence, Anger, Rage, Wrath, and Doc). If asked why they are attacking the town, they shout out a chorus of 'It's Fun!' and 'Because we can!' They will tell about where they are from with a sucessfull Intimidate or Diplomacy check (DC 17), describing a land that any PC can recognize as coming from a children's fairy tale with a Knowlegde(Local) or Bardic Knowledge check (DC 10). A DC 20 Diplomacy or Intimidate check convinces the gnomes to reveal that they have been tricking children into the fairy tale world so that they can prepare the real world for the return of Cercenes, a name that the PCs may recognize from fary tales. Depending on how your campaign relates to the real world, you can have the gnomes and wolves be taken from a real-world fairy tale, such as Little Red Riding Hood, or you can create a suitable campaign-specific fairy tale for the wolves and gnomes.

Stage 3: Finding the Source
The gnomes and Winter Wolves leave a clear track back to a crumbling tower outside of Chedain, but with a detour through a field containing a single brown cow, where the Wolves and gnomes apparently circled several times. If a PC makes any statement with the words 'I wish' in it or that expresses a strong desire around the cow, they are immediately transported to the fantasy realm of the book, and a replaced by a monster of some type that relates in some way to the wish. The exact nature of the monster is at the DMs discretion, but the more closely related the monster is to the PC's wish the better. Once the PC disappears, the other PCs start to forget he or she ever existed.

Any other conversation around the cow that concerns the disappearing children illicits a response from the cow, which is in fact intelligent. the cow is extremelly passive and complacent, and will answer any questions asked of it, but will not do anything to help the PCs. The cow has been magically affected by Cercenes, and it now grants the wishes of any who come near it, specifically the young children of Chidain, who are the only ones who come into the field.

The tower was once grand, but is now crumbling. It is the only remnent of Crecenes' reign, and it is the resting place of the original Story Book used to imprison her (though the story has now spread and is written in several different books). None of the townspeople have any idea why the tower even exists, but all of them have a vague feeling that they should stay away, so they do. If the PCs visit the tower, a cursory search (Search DC 10) finds the story book. the story book contains several tales, among them the account of Cercenes' rule and the stories of the children who are now impsrioned in the book, including Kailin.

Stage 4: Cercenes' Endgame
If the PCs have spoken to the cow, Cercenes has taken notice, and has advanced her plans to foil the PCs. When they reach the tower, she recalls all the other fairy creatures and channels all the power of the (now fictional) children into restoring her past glory. The stones of the tower begin a kind of reverse crumble, reassembling themselves into a mighty keep. The Story Book comes to life, with the words swirling off of the pages to outline a human women's form, the best Cercenes can manage. Cercenes is a wizard at least 3 levels higher then the highest level PC. She fights to the death, at which point the worlds that outline her form dissipate and reform into the missing children, who are now remembered by their parents. Any PCs that were inadvertently transported by the complacent cow are also returned.

With Cercenes' defeat, the cow loses it's wish granting power, but retains intellignece. It continues to graze in the same field unless something forces it to move.

Ingredient Recap:
Missing Children-The children of the village of Chedain have been turned into fiction by Cercenes' magic mixed with the magic of the story book, and replaced in fact by monster's from children's stories.
Winter Wolves- Creatures from fairy tales that have replaced the children from Chidain. Wolves are used because they are common in the fairy tales of most societies, and because the gnomes needed mounts to wreck more havock around Chedain.
13 Vicious Gnomes- The other creatures from the fictional world, the gnomes are used because they are, again, common in fairy tales.
Wish-Granting Cow- Cercenes extended her reach to the real world by enchanting a cow as a kind of wish granting portal. Any time somebody makes a wish around the cow they are transported into the Story Book, and they quickly fade from reality and memory.
Crumbling Tower- Cercenes' old tower is the only thing that remains as a reminder of her life, and it holds her prison, a magical Story Book.
Complacency- The cow, though given intelligence by Cercenes, goes along with her schemes without argument. luckily it is also complaccent to other's demands, and can be a usefull tool to the PCs.

Remove ads