[IRON DM] Winter '04 Tournament (IRON DM ANNOUNCED!)

Macbeth

First Post
carpedavid said:
The combination of missing children and a wish-granting cow did it for me :)
The gnomes really got me. Plus I did a lot of reserch into fairy tales about a year ago, and when you've got gnomes, wolves, a wish granting cow, and a tower you've already practically got a fairy tale.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
LazarusLong42 said:
Well-played, Wulf. After reading yours, that was the judgment I was expecting. :)

Thanks, Laz. It wasn't the judgement I was expecting-- I was weak exactly where nemm thought I was weak, and I knew it.

A couple of things for Nemmerle:

(1) Agoraphobia is one of those unfortunate words that has several definitions, including the one you mentioned. Various dictionaries are less than decisive on its definition, and I suspect the DSM V would have something entirely different to say about it. :)

Correct you are, Laz. I've spent quite a bit of time working on the game effects of psychological disorders, lately. The correct definition of agoraphobia (as opposed to the literal definition) is easier to find than "canon." :p

(2) Um... the babau is a core monster (the first listed demon, in fact)--and it does, in fact, have a protective coating of acid.

Correct again. My first step was to turn to "Demon" in the SRD and see if there were any acid-based ones. I got lucky. ;)

If I was fast and loose with the definition of agoraphobia, it was in lumping a hint of claustrophobia under the generally accepted large umbrella of agoraphobia.

These ingredients were SO straightforward, I didn't see anywhere to go with it other than a pretty straight up conflict. I admit to slight judge pandering; I know that nemmerle loves backstory. But I feel like I did a good job sticking to my own personal Iron DM standard, that every ingredient MUST be something the PCs can interact with (no fair hiding ingredients in the backstory...)

Anyhow, as usual I sweated this one out; an amazingly difficult set of ingredients because they were so straightforward...

Wulf

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Judgment of Round One - Second Match-Up: MacBeth vs. CarpeDavid

Oh man, this is one of those really tough matches to judge because - well, because both entries are awfully weak, but weak in different ways that make them hard to compare - However, both had elements I found very interesting, and as often happens in cases such as these a much better scenario could probably be crafted from a combination of the two.

But I can't put both entries in a blender and advance some frightening Frankenstienian combination of a contestant called MacDavid or CarpeBeth to the next round - so I choice must be made.
But who to choose?

Shall it be MacBeth?

Well, I have a problem with MacBeth's set-up right from the get-go. There is this conundrum with this kind of scenario; part of me chafes at the extra-fantastical set-up of a "faerie tale" world that does not have any specific explanation, while part of me understands the need to stretch the rules and introduce mysterious forces to have an adventure have a driving edge to it and keep the PCs on their toes, a have a problem with how it was accomplished. My problem is that the idea of faerie tales in a world where fairies are real and all the elements for such tales exist in the "real world" seems unlikely, as does the set up of having the witch read a children's book and be trapped within it - why would she read such a thing? Sure, this is all in the background, so it is not so bad, as it is not something the PCs directly interact with - but still, it gives me pause.

Unfortunately for MacBeth, the problems with this scenario do not stop with the background information. While the capricious and cruel nature of the "vicious gnomes" acting "because it's fun!" can be written off as acceptable within the context of the adventure and I love their names and description, I have to wonder how they arrived in the "real world" to begin with. What is the connection between the wish-granting cow and the witch and how did she exert her will from the "fictional realm" into the real one to have the cow work for her scheme?

And here is a hint for all you would-be IRON DMs out there, however neat an idea you present might be (like having the wishes the cow grants transport you to a fairy tale world where they come true and replace you with thematically-aligned monsters to wreack havoc in the "real world") make sure you include a damn example or two, to show what you mean and as a guideline for how it is to be handled - otherwise it just comes off as a half-assed idea.

Really, the best idea from MacBeth's entry is the faded memory of the missing children. It was a good and creepy touch that kind of reminded me of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". It works, because it makes finding the children harder as there is no one else that seems to care that they are gone, while at the same time making obvious that something is wrong in the town. It was a good use of the ingredient, and better than the winter wolves that don't seem to need to be winter wolves at all.

But that's just about it. The climax doesn't work because all of sudden the witch is able to manifest herself in time for a big fight, and killing her returns the children and any missing PCs - too neat, too simple, and ignores elements set-up in the background of the scenario. What happened to the cursed book? Would it not have been better to include that somehow? Would it not have been better to set up the Rat Bastardly choice for the PCs of setting free the witch themselves in order to get the children back too? That's what this adventure needs, a moral quandry.

Making the cow omplacent was kind neat, if only because that is how cows come off; phlegmatic. But still, this adventure needs a lot more - like possible follow-ups for future adventures and perhaps a line about how the children might have been effected by their ordeal, etc. . .

And CarpeDavid?

CarpeDavid's entry also suffers from lack of follow-up options, but much like MacBeth's entry, problems plague this entry from the very beginning. I was liking it and thinking it would easily blow away MacBeth when I first started reading the background, but when I got to the "What the PCs Don't Know" section the bells started going off.

My first question: How in the heck does a 5th level illusionist cast so many damn illusions and keep them all up and working at once when the illusion spells available to him at that level require concentration? There is no way he'd be able to create 13 independently acting gnomes and 13 winter wolves. And later CarpeDavid has Snivilus using illusions to hide holes and such in his tower - how does he accomplish this?

"The Human Factor": CarpeDavid had got some of this in the guise of the parents of the selected child, though I like to see my NPCs fleshed out a bit more - but pathos helps to drive an adventure - and while the lack of concern in MacBeth's adventure is a result of the magic in the adventure itself and thus more than understandable, it is just a great idea - who can compete with grieiving and frightened parents? However, CD's use of 'complacency' is weak, and his description of the townsfolk reaction to having to give up their children seemed to be more aptly called "grudgingly", not "complacent'.

And what is with the wish-granting cow? Why a cow? What is its deal? It seems thrown in and its shape and function does not gel thematically with the rest of the adventure. At least MacBeth's cow had a personality, this one is nothing but a personified "deus ex machina" that allows the evil gnome to do some of the stuff he does. And I am of two mind with there being one wish left to the cow - while I am all for giving low level PCs possible rewards that could be dangerous (i.e. a wish), what keeps the desperate gnome from using the wish against them to insure victory?

However, the thing I love more than anything in BOTH entries is how the granted immortality works. Too bad immortality was not an ingredient, but it certainly works for why the gnome needed the children. I am not as sure about their melting (though it is a cool image, no pun intneded) and was expecting for them to be found as withered old men and women - but here is a question: Gnomes have a long-ass lifespan, why would he need children so often or even any at all yet, unless they somehow arrested his aging altogether (not something made clear). But still, the important thing is that it works thematically with the ice and frost stuff - and the tower itself is much better than MacBeth's because it fits the frost theme and there is good reason for it to be crumbly. And the use of the tower's crumbling state as an obstacle to getting to the gnome was a nice touch - not all encounters in an advbenture should be combat - environmental factors should come into play as well.

In the end, despite its weakness, the unity of theme and the good combination of the required ingredients pushes
CarpeDavid's
entry over the finish line just a nose ahead
of MacBeth.
It just seems like a potentially more fun adventure. However, if he hopes to make it past the second round (where he is likely to face Wulf), he is going to have to work a lot harder at some basic elements of adventure creation.

Last edited:

Macbeth

First Post
nemmerle said:
Buddy, I haven't even read them yet. Plan to some time this morning.
I didn't mean to comment on how long it was taking, just on how anxious I am. Take your time, I'm sure you have plenty of other things keeping you busy...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Quick "The Question is Moot!" Beam AND. C "The Golden N00b" Style have jsut about 10 minutes left to post their entries.

Quickbeam

Explorer
nemmerle said:

Round One - Third Match-Up:

Quick "The Question is Moot!" Beam vs. C "The Golden N00b" Style

Ingredients
-----------------
Kidnapped Princess
Mysterious Stranger
Haunted Roadside Inn
Evil Wizard
Lack of Confidence
Magical Silver Arrows

We're starting it off simple.

You have 24 hours from the time stamp of this post.

Remember you 'ingredient review' at the end of your entry.
Remember, NO EDITING after you've posted.
Remember, NO READING your opponent's entry if he posts before you do.
Remember to include the the Round/Match and Opponent Info at the top of your entry (see above).

Good luck to both of you.

Fuzzwindle's Ferocity
A mini adventure suitable for charatcers of 1st -3rd levels
This story may be used as the genesis for an entire campaign, and a sidetrack between other missions

Background and Set Up

Three hundred years ago in the gnomish village of Lekerbik, a wizard alchemist named Fergag Fuzzwindle enchanted a small contraption to be used as a healing device. The enchantment went terribly wrong, but this was not discovered until he tested the device on an eager volunteer. When the alchemist touched his patient with the object (now remembered as Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity), the ailing gnome contracted an accelerated case of lycanthropy. Soon the village was being rampaged by a seemingly ever-increasing werewolf presence, as more and more gnomes contracted the disease from the infected.

The leaders of Lekerbik sent word of their plight to the nearby human city of Crystal Bay, begging King Mezowon for aid. As hope dwindled, a small group of gnomes retrieved Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity and managed to place the wretched contraption in a strong box before the affliction set in. The box was then locked thoroughly, warded magically, and weighed down with lead. It was then taken to Lake Ulsharr, a few miles outside of Crystal Bay, and submerged in the dark waters so that the vile magical infection could not be unleashed again.

Mezowon’s men did respond to their neighbors’ call, and within weeks had eliminated the werewolf presence. The human king led the campaign himself, and brought down the last of the lycanthropes with a well placed silver arrow.

The gnomes never revealed the true nature of the disease to the humans, and amongst the surviving Lekerbik gnomes only a scant few knew of its enchanted origin. Those that knew solemnly agreed that it was their responsibility to keep Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity from resurfacing. They formed a sacred pact, and appointed a Guardian who would ensure that the device remained undisturbed.

In order to make sure that the box remained untouched, the gnomes needed to recall its precise location, but did not trust that a map could be kept out of the wrong hands. Two ornate weathervanes made of precious metals were crafted to serve as magical markers for the box. The weathervanes each depicted a werewolf in a dying pose with a large silver arrow piercing the beast. These weathervanes were gifted to King Mezowon in honor of his victory, one to be placed atop each of the castle spires. The gnomes did not reveal that just as the sun sets across the lake, the magical silver arrows in both weathervanes momentarily shift direction, and each points toward the same exact spot (a gnomish adaptation of a locate object enchantment). If one were to draw a line from each weathervane, the point where these imaginary lines intersect is the resting place of Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity in Lake Ulsharr.

The gnomish Guardian found an abandoned inn along the road to Crystal Bay, and set up his headquarters there, where he could observe human traffic to and from the lake. In order to keep from being scrutinized, the Guardian used very simple visual and auditory illusions to scare people away. It did not take long for the humans to come to think of the empty building as a haunted roadside inn, and children and adults alike avoided the place. The box, being unsought, remained undisturbed and the Guardian spent the long days writing journals and logs. When he became too old to carry on in his position, his son took over as Guardian. The current generation of Lekerbik gnomes generally do not know much of either the Guardian or that which he protects.

At present, the humans of Crystal Bay have little interaction with the gnomes of Lekerbik. Though the populations live only a two day ride apart, they do not enjoy any serious trade relationship. The deeds of Mezowon are history, and the misdeed of Fuzzwindle is remembered only by the current Guardian, Dardump Kishnak.

Crystal Bay is governed by King Orston (lawful good, 8th level fighter), who resides in the castle once occupied by Mezowon. Orston’s daughter, Princess Brellia (Chaotic Neutral, 0 level aristocrat), is a precocious nineteen year old, who has grown bored with her busy social calendar, and seeks excitement. She prefers the companionship of the royal guards to that of the other nobles, and has taken a liking to one guard in particular, Sedorin Prasst.

Unbeknownst to those in Crystal Bay, Sedorin is an evil wizard (neutral evil, 4th level wizard/ 2nd level fighter). Fascinated by magic which alters the physical form, he was riveted by a tale of an ages old lycanthropy outbreak in the region, and decided to seek out the place where common folk were transformed into vile beasts. His research brought him to the area surrounding Crystal Bay. When he arrived, he was mistaken as a soldier for hire, because of his armor. Yes, armor. Sedorin had numerous mishaps when he was a young wizard (many would-be victims made their saving throws and several spell components were of poor quality causing spells to fizzle), and the mage began to suffer from a lack of confidence. He learned to wear bulky armor, which tends to inhibit his magic, but serves to protect him when spells fail. Because of his armor and his representations, Sedorin was hired into the service of the king as a castle guard. He has since trained with the guards (hence the fighter levels). He uses the position to be close to the seat of power, and enjoys the attentions of the princess, for she represents a connection to real influence.

Within the past week, Sedorin was accompanying Brellia to the lake, and they were passing the haunted roadside inn. To show her disdain for local legend Brellia rushed into the old building in an effort to impress Sedorin. This brazen act of disregard took the Guardian, Dardump (lawful good, 4th level illusionist) by surprise. He hid from sight, having no spells prepared against such intrusion. Once inside, the princess set about exploring the inn and stumbled upon a secret doorway. Beyond the door, Brellia and Sedorin found a hidden study, in which they discovered one of the journals written by the original Guardian. Dardump, watching from the shadows, is shocked at the discovery of a room and tome he never knew existed. And as Brellia begins to translate the gnomish text (she is a well schooled noble, who lives near a gnome community), Dardump realizes that the cryptic passages hold the key to unlocking the secret of the weathervanes. Dardump follows the intruders when they leave with the journal, but stops short of the castle, deciding to reclaim the journal that night.

Fascinated by the journal and always seeking excitement, Brellia decides that she would like to decipher its meaning and find the hidden secret referenced in its pages. Sedorin correctly presumes the dark secret relates to the very lycanthropic outbreak that first drew him to Crystal Bay. Thus, he encourages the Princess to devote all of her time to translation, needing her because he does not know comprehend languages and cannot read gnomish. He suggests that they run off to a secluded camp in the woods outside of the city, where they can work together uninterrupted (the Princess would otherwise have many social engagements to attend).

Upon nightfall, Dardump uses his magic to distract the guards and sneak into the castle. He finds the Princess’ chamber empty, and frantically rummages through her possessions, ransacking the room in an attempt to locate the journal. Unable to find the book, Dardump sneaks back out of the castle and returns to the inn where he plans to devise a strategy for recovering the journal.

The next morning, a maid finds that Princess Brellia is missing and that her chamber has been ransacked. News that the Princess has been kidnapped travels quickly through Crytsal Bay, though the “kidnapped Princess” is happily engaged in translation of the journal she’s discovered. Some citizens mention seeing a mysterious stranger, a gnome, sneaking away from the castle in the night.

Sedorin leaves Brellia to the translation, and shows up for his shift at the castle (so as not to arouse suspicions), and hears of the “kidnapping” and the mysterious stranger. Seeking to confound any investigation in order to allow the Princess time to complete the translation, Sedorin states that he saw a group of gnomes hurrying away from the city towards Lekerbik with a covered cart the previous night, but thought nothing of it at the time. The king, believes Sedorin’s story, and places him in charge of finding Brellia. The king then issues an ultimatum to the gnomes of Lekerbik. He demands that they return his daughter unharmed immediately, or he will take their village by force. The gnomes have sent back a messenger, who pleads their innocence.

Dardump, spying on the city, hears of the ultimatum, and realizes that he cannot seek help from his people in Lekerbik. If he were to raise a gnomish search party it could be mistaken for a tactical assault force, and further escalate matters. He knows that he must find Brellia and the book in order to protect Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity, and to prove that the gnome’s of Lekerbik did not abduct the Princess.

Tensions are high, and time is short. The stage is thus set for adventure.

PC Hooks

• King Orston might directly commission the party to find his daughter and provide her safe return. This will be more likely if the characters are adventurers who hail from the surrounding area, or have recently completed a noteworthy mission.
• The party might hear rumors of a haunted inn located nearby as they travel through the region and decide to explore.
• There can be little doubt that a handsome reward will be offered to any who can successfully manage to facilitate the return of Princess Brellia. Money is a strong motivator, and may work well in enticing the party to Crystal Bay.
• Finally, it is possible that the PC’s have heard rumblings about increasing unrest between humans and gnomes in the area. The party might feel obligated to help stave off trouble, especially if the group includes a gnome or two.

Development

This adventure can go in several directions depending on which Hook the PC’s follow:
1) If the party chooses to investigate the abduction of Princess Brellia, they will likely spend a fair amount of time questioning those close to her including Sedorin. His version of the abduction will revolve almost exclusively around the mysterious stranger and gnome caravan. Years of concealing his true identity and arcane powers have made Sedorin an adept liar. To that end, his campaign of misdirection and misinformation is carefully crafted, and only spells such as Detect Thoughts or a Sense Motive check (DC20) will reveal a hint of fabrication in his words. By and large Sedorin is trusted by the king and other respected castle inhabitants, and his role as lead investigator in the Princess’ kidnapping should allow him to easily manipulate events pertaining to the search. His goal is to clearly set the PC’s on the wrong track, thus removing them from the equation. To preserve his cover Sedorin may even offer to have some (or all) of the party members search the area for “clues” alongside him one afternoon. Under no circumstances will he take them anywhere near Brellia’s actual location, nor will he attempt to meet with the princess if he suspects he’s being followed.

Other castle servants/guards and the people of Crystal Bay in general will be unable to share any enlightening details about the abduction itself, since nobody really knows anything. However, many people will quietly suggest that while Princess Brellia was a lovely young lady, she could be a bit impulsive or rather flaky on occasion, potentially giving rise to PC’s suspicions about alleged events no one can corroborate. Ultimately, their investigation will only lead to dead ends and/or the mysterious gnomish stranger (below).

It is possible that characters decide to tail Sedorin at some point, and DM’s may choose to incorporate a slip in his story to arouse the PC’s suspicions if they are hopelessly off track. If the party approaches the secluded campsite, an alarm spell will warn Sedorin and the princess. Brellia will feign unconsciousness/injury while Sedorin explains that he only recently found her, and did not King Orston to see his daughter until she was fully recovered. Unless they’ve already met Dardump and heard his story, the party will not be able to fully deny this implausible tale. A confrontation may ensue although Sedorin will attempt to avoid this, making it more likely that the PC’s will escort the Princess and he back to Crystal Bay. Here Sedorin can arrange for the party’s arrest by accusing them as the real kidnappers. He will point out their convenient arrival shortly after Brellia’s disappearance, and further implicate them with false statements he claims to have overheard about their plans to spend the reward money. A lack of clear proof or evidence of any wrongdoing should eventually free the characters from jail, but this should prove to be a harrowing experience at best.

2) The party may immediately buy into allegations that a mysterious gnomish stranger has kidnapped the princess and head off in search of information. Nobody within Crystal Bay knows anything useful, and it’s more likely that this course of action will lead the PC’s to Lekerbik. Several hours of investigation there should reveal that the gnomes have nothing to hide; are willing to fully cooperate with any reasonable request which will verify their claims of innocence; and are desperate to avoid an attack at the hands of their human neighbors to the north. Further questioning might uncover the fact that a solitary gnome is said to live on the outskirts of Crystal Bay, but he isn’t often seen in Lekerbik, and not much else can be said about this figure. Upon their return to Crystal Bay the party will learn that Sedorin has “uncovered” more information about the mysterious gnome, and that tensions are rising as King Orston grows increasingly distraught. If the PC’s speak out on behalf of the gnomes, they are accused of being in cahoots with the Lekerbik gnomes and risk being jailed as noted above. Furthermore, they become a threat to Sedorin, who will utilize the other guards as watchdogs -- ready to pounce at the slightest misstep, creating an ongoing possibility of combat encounters and imprisonment.

3) A third possibility exists wherein group may ignore (or be unaware of) events surrounding Princess Brellia’s disappearance, and head straight for the haunted inn. This course of action could prove interesting since they will almost assuredly encounter Dardump or tales of the kidnapped princess. If the latter occurs and the party pursues this information, the events noted above will commence. If, however, the party is intent on exploring the abandoned and haunted inn, they will encounter only a few token illusion spells and a simple trap or two. Assuming that the party remains undaunted, Dardump will be encountered. The DM can choose to play this meeting out from a variety of angles, but Dardump should appear initially desperate to drive off the PC’s, before succumbing to them and begging their aid. He will reveal portions of the events surrounding himself, Princess Brellia, and the sacred trust – whatever it takes to garner assistance from the party in both protecting the secret of Fuzzwindle’s Ferocity, and staving off an attack on the village of Lekerbik.

Conclusions

** If the PC’s meet and choose to help Dardump, they should eventually locate and confront Sedorin and Princess Brellia. Combat is likely with the wizard, who will attempt to use spells despite the armor, and it’s probable that his spell failure chance will play a role in the party’s success. If pressed he will resort to melee combat, before attempting to flee…perhaps with Brellia as a hostage. For her part, Brellia will acknowledge that she has not been abducted, (certainly not by the gnomes of Lekerbik at least!) and was totally unaware of how the events surrounding her disappearance were portrayed in Crystal Bay. She’s young and self-absrobed, and really didn’t reflect at length how her absence would be treated. Brellia’s return to Crystal Bay will stave off certain decimation of the Lekerbik gnomes, and the characters will be handsomely rewarded for their efforts on all fronts. What the PC’s do with the journal and the secret Dardump is protecting is up to them and their DM. Numerous possibilities exist, and not all of them particularly pleasant.
** If their path keeps them from meeting Dardump, the PC’s will either learn through information they’ve gathered or lies told to stymie their progress, that Sedorin is not what he appears to be. Here again, confrontation at the secluded camp is the inevitable result if characters can stay out of jail long enough to track Sedorin. Once again, Lekerbik is saved and the PC’s rewarded by all those concerned. The end result of this scenario, is that characters may be in possession of the Guardian’s journal, with no real knowledge of the horrible secret it hides…

Ingredient Recap
Kidnapped Princess – An erroneous assumption made regarding Brellia’s absence
Mysterious Stranger – The gnome seen leaving Crystal Bay on the night Princess Brellia is “abducted”
Haunted Roadside Inn – The abandoned building used by the gnome Guardians and protected with minor illusions to keep prying eyes away
Evil Wizard – Sedorin Prasst, a castle guard in disguise
Lack of Confidence – How Sedorin feels about his arcane powers based on events in his past
Magical Silver Arrows – Enchanted portions of two weathervanes mounted atop the King’s Castle

Remove ads