• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iron heroes and armiger token pool

Ruvion

First Post
The clause for 'taking no damage while threatened' is for the times when enemies think you are a 'tough nut best left for last' and ignore you. So even when ignored you remain a plausible threat.

I like it as a means of preventing metagaming (i.e. don't attack the Armiger or he'll get tokens). This rule shouldn't be counted on as a reliable source of tokens; with this rule in place, it would never generate tokens, as no one would purposely leave the Armiger 'unattacked'. In other words, the rule's purpose is to prevent metagaming, not to generate tokens.

I like your other rules though, although I have the feeling that the Armiger needs even more to put him on par with the other classes' token-generating ability.

Ruvion

First Post
If you want to increase the armiger's token generation abilities more give him tokens for using defensive challenges and fight defensively attack challenges, and defense actions (namely standard defense and full defense).

And to give credits where it's due the above token mod is not my idea but from fellow posters from IH boards. :p

Odhanan

Adventurer
Starting at level 3, the armiger starts with a pool of armor token equal to his damage reduction roll in the beginning of combat. He gains 1 armor token for every 5 points of damage absorbed by his armor, 1 armor token for every attack that miss (ranged or melee), or 2 tokens for every round he takes no damage while threatened (this is in additional to all other armor token gathering methods). At level 7 to 14 the armiger gains 4 tokens for every round he takes zero damage while threatened and at level 15 and higher the armiger gains 6 tokens for every round he takes nil damage while threatened. You can’t simply ignore the armiger once he melees you (there are consequences).

If I was to houserule the Armiger, I'd probably settle for:
- Start an encounter with [DR roll] tokens (If the resulting Armiger has too much tokens, that'd be the first houserule to go to the trash).
+1 token/5 damage absorbed
+1 token/round during which no attacks hit the Armiger while he is threatened (which means that during a single round an Armiger gains 1 token if he hasn't been targeted by any attack or gains 1 token if every attack targeting him misses)

That's worth a playtest, in my opinion, if you find the Armiger as written too stiff for your playstyle.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
I think the +1/no attacks hit needs to only count if they are threatened. As if the combat starts out at 120ft range with the good guys up a slope and the enemy with no range weapons, I don't think the Arminger should be gaining tokens for just standing there in no danger.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I think the +1/no attacks hit needs to only count if they are threatened.

Good catch Bagpuss! I actually forgot the precision and edited my post accordingly (that's what I understood as well).

Ruvion

First Post
I've also added three new armor abilities for the armiger:

Three additional armor abilities are added: Instant Fortress, Unassailable Bastion, and Unstoppable Juggernaut. To activate Instant Fortress ability you spend 4 armor tokens as a free action to gain instant access to the defense challenge’s benefit instead of waiting for one round, for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier (min 1 round). With Unassailable Bastion, you need to spend 4 armor tokens as a free action to gain double the benefit of Defensive Roll defense challenges (and its improved versions) as long as you do not move, for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier (min 1 round). Unassailable Bastion does not stack with Sentinel’s Defense. The Unstoppable Juggernaut is activated with 4 armor tokens as a free action and as long as you have moved 10 ft. or more that round, you gain +4 size bonus to all your checks (bull rush, grapple, overrun, sunder, etc), your base defense bonus becomes a passive defense bonus instead, you gain maximum result of your damage reduction roll, and gain an enhancement bonus of +10 ft. to speed during this round.

I am a little worried that Unstoppable Juggernaut may be somewhat overpowered when used with Sentinel's Defense. But time will tell.

[edited the Unstoppable Juggernaut ability...upon reflection it did not seemed unstoppable enough. Heh.]

Last edited:

Remove ads