[IronDM] Iron DM Returns! Winner announced!

carpedavid

First Post
Tournament Rules

nonamazing said:
This seems very interesting, and I'd like to know more about it. I've been having a lot of fun reading some of the past entries. But I can't seem to find a set of general rules for the competition. Am I just overlooking them? Do you have a link you could provide me with?

I'll do you one better. In preparation for the sign-up tomorrow (1PM EDT/10AM PDT, GMT-4 for everybody else), I'll post the rules for the tournament.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules for this tournament are as follows:

1) Twelve contestants will participate in this tournament. Eleven will be chosen from those announcing their intent in this thread, while one slot is reserved for the previous champion.

2) Three alternates will be chosen, but will only be used if a contestant is not available at the agreed ingredient posting time (see below) and no other arrangement has been made beforehand. The judge also reserves the right to choose an alternate if a contestant's schedule interferes with the timely progress of the tournament.

3) The judge determines contestant pairings based on availability and any other factors he may deem pertinent.

4) Each set of contestants is given six ingredients with which to design an adventure. These ingredients may be a monster, a person, a location, an item, a spell, or an abstract event or concept. The adventure will be judged on the creative integration of the ingredients, as well as playability of the overall adventure. Creative interpretation of a particular ingredient often helps in the integration of all the ingredients, but is not, in and of itself, a prerequisite to winning. In other words, sometimes a bugbear is just a bugbear.

6) The length of an entry may vary. The first round will have a suggested limit of 2500 words, the second round 3500, and the finals 5000. The word limits are not absolute, but do serve as a useful guide as to the amount of detail expected in each round.

7) The judge may disqualify any entry that is unreadable due to grammar, spelling, or formatting.

8) Contestants have 24 hours from the timestamp of the post containing the ingredients to post their entries to this thread. If, for any reason, the boards are inaccessible, the contestant may email the judge a copy of the entry. Any entry posted even one minute past the deadline will be disqualified, unless the competitor's opponent is willing to grant an exception.

9) Once an entry has been posted, it may not be edited for any reason. Editing an already posted entry is grounds for immediate disqualification. One of the delights of Iron DM is posting your entry, warts and all, for public scrutiny.

10) A contestant is considered honor bound not to read his opponent's entry until his is posted.

11) Comments and questions are welcome from contest observers. However, please wait until both scenarios have been posted for a given match to comment on either of them.

13) All judgments are final. I will endeavor to be as "nemmerlesque" in my critiques as possible, which means that they should be honest, direct, and bluntly critical. But hey, that's half the fun!

14) Each round is single elimination, except for the final round, which will be held in a round-robin format with the three finalists.

15) The final round will include one special tie-breaking ingredient. This ingredient must be used in one, but not both, of the finalist's two entries.

16) The winner of the third and final round is crowned “Iron DM” and he (or she) will be guaranteed a seat in the next IRON DM tournament.

carpedavid

First Post
Remember folks - sign ups begin today at 1PM EDT/10AM PDT (GMT -4)! Don't wait for me to announce that they've begun - the timestamp on your post will be the final arbiter of your eligibility.

The first 11 contestants to express their interest after 1PM EDT get to participate. I'll also take the 12-15th contestants as alternates (who do, on occasion, get to participate).

carpedavid

First Post
Contestant List
I'll edit this list as the participants sign up.

Contestants
1. Wulf Ratbane (previous champion)
2. Tinner
3. Mark
4. Evilhalfling
5. WinnipegDragon
6. Warden
7. Nonamazing
8. Reveal
9. Howandwhy99
10. Dremmen
11. Stormborn