(IRR) 1st Rokugan IR Discussion Thread

Tokiwong

First Post
Looks good guys... I would love to get started but I am going out of town on business for the next 6 weeks starting on the 28th of this month so if someone else wants to step up then more power to them... but I wouldn't mind moderating when I get back... just be too hard from where I will be at to have regular access to a computer...and moderate this game properly... bleh I hate work

Creamsteak

Explorer
Reminder: nobody has claimed anything just yet. It is all speculation.

Maybe I should re-assume moderator responsibilities... but I'm leaving too! God... looks like it will take a while to get started...

To answer some questions:

-Every player start with the same amount of PL?

No. Every player has a cap set on how much PL they can claim for the beginning of the IR. The limit will be determined by the number of players and the amount of PL in Rokugan. The current assumption is that everyone can claim up to 100 PL.

-If so, there will be players with more powerful PCs and Families, and others with more territories?

It is up to the player to decide. They could claim one family, one player character, and the rest as cities. They could claim four families from a clan, a player character, and no cities. They could claim eight families from three different clans and not declare a PC. It is entirely up to the player. Two players can claim families from the same clan, or claim families from varied clans. You are allowed at least this much freedom.

-What about Ide family?

I'm not an expert on the families. What about the Ide family? Are they on the list? If not, what history do they have and what clan are they from.

-Where can I find some Rokugan maps?

The first source would be the Oriental adventures book. If someone knows a place that can scan the whole map and put it on disk, it would be helpful to have an on-line map to look at claims.

Black Omega

First Post
creamsteak said:
Maybe I should re-assume moderator responsibilities... but I'm leaving too! God... looks like it will take a while to get started...

Yep. But like I said, that gives us time to discuss stuff.

It is up to the player to decide. They could claim one family, one player character, and the rest as cities. They could claim four families from a clan, a player character, and no cities. They could claim eight families from three different clans and not declare a PC. It is entirely up to the player. Two players can claim families from the same clan, or claim families from varied clans. You are allowed at least this much freedom.
At the very least something that differintiates the clans might be nice. Each has certain advantages and weaknesses that don't reflect well in simple PL. The Mantis are by far the best sailors in Rokugan. The Phoenix are the most magically powerful. Etc.

I'm not an expert on the families. What about the Ide family? Are they on the list? If not, what history do they have and what clan are they from.
Unicorn diplomatic family. I also forgot the Horiuchi, another Unicorn family, I see...

Horiuchi (Shugenja/Honor 2) Daimyo: Horiuchi Shem-Zhe (Male Shu 8)

Ide (Courtier/Honor 2) Daimyo: Ide Tadaji (Male Courtier 20)

The first source would be the Oriental adventures book. If someone knows a place that can scan the whole map and put it on disk, it would be helpful to have an on-line map to look at claims.
It would be easier to use the map from the Rokugan book, though the OA map is nicer. Either way, it'll take me a little time to do.:)

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm not sure if I want to start developing advantage and weakness from different families. It would complicate things quite a bit. I think such things should come out from play, such as the Mantis launching invasions from the sea even when land routes are available. Just playing your clan in different ways develops this more than trying to come up with weakness and strengths. I do believe that occationally sides should get a +1 or +2 to attack roles when they are at an advantage because of an ambush, surprise attack, being more proficient at sea war, enemies demoralized, etc. But those things are the responsibility of the moderator to make decisions on for a case to case basis.

Gurdjieff

First Post
I'll claim the Mantis Clan if that's possible :)

Same problems as TFO posted, I have no idea how the Rokugan lands look like, but I'll play anyway. How hard can it be to write IC stories, right? :)

Black Omega

First Post
Venus said:
I'll claim the Mantis Clan if that's possible :)

Same problems as TFO posted, I have no idea how the Rokugan lands look like, but I'll play anyway. How hard can it be to write IC stories, right? :)
At some point they will have to start keeping track of all this.:) Or at least set a date for official claiming of factions, so there's less ovferlap on claims.

Anabstercorian

First Post
I'll pick up OA this weekend. I'll stick with the Lion Clan - As usual, expect me to focus on gaining levels and creating small, focused attack teams that wipe the floor with the mooks in your army.

Reminder: Nobody has claimed anything yet. Just thought you should all know that. With me leaving and Tokiwong leaving soon enough, it would fall on someone else to track claims. Tell me we have 10 players and I will start the claims. Off memory we have:

Anabstercorian, Black Omega, Creamsteak, Lichtenheart, The Forsaken One, 'o Skoteines, Venus, Sollir, and NiTessine...

So we need one more and I will start tracking claims. I'll delegate authority on that to someone else when we get to that point that I have to leave. We will start playing when I get back, maybe not till Toki gets back. I don't know which one of us will get back first...

Remove ads