• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a coup de grace a full round action....

Murrdox

First Post
Hey now, I had no idea the what the SRD was until a month or so ago, let alone that it was published online for easy access. Thus, when I had simple rule questions that are a bit TOO simple to be answered by the FAQ, and I didn't have my books handy, I would likewise post them to a forum or something.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hey now, I had no idea the what the SRD was until a month or so ago, let alone that it was published online for easy access. Thus, when I had simple rule questions that are a bit TOO simple to be answered by the FAQ, and I didn't have my books handy, I would likewise post them to a forum or something.

Yup. And now you know what and where the SRD is, and when you don't have your books handy, you can get your answer instantly instead of having to wait for someone to respond to a message.

I don't see the Rules Forum as just a place where rules questions are answered - it's a place where people learn to understand the rules better.

If someone you work with asks you, every day, what the date is... you can tell him, every day. Or you can tell him, and then point out the little button on the side of his digital watch that shows him the date.

How can teaching people to be independent be a bad thing? The Rules Forum is still here for the thorny ones. And the simple ones will still be answered. But when someone asks the forum something like "What's the threat range of a longsword?", we can help them more by showing them where they can find the answers to all the simple questions, whenever they like.

They get their answer... but they also get the first push towards taking off the training wheels and riding by themselves.

-Hyp.

Sejs

First Post
there is a feat from Sord and Fist that lets you do it as a Standard action. The name escapes me

Death Blow. Requires BA +2, Improved Initiave

Very handy for assassins who also have Expert Tactician, a spell storing weapon and a friendly cleric.

Study target ~ attempt death attack. If target survives, discharge Hold Person from Spell Storing Weapon ~ if target is held, coup de gras w/ Expert Tactician attack.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Study target ~ attempt death attack. If target survives, discharge Hold Person from Spell Storing Weapon ~ if target is held, coup de gras w/ Expert Tactician attack.

Expert Tactitian no longer allows a Partial Action, just a melee attack. If a Death Blow CDG is a Standard Action, it's not a valid use of Expert Tactitian.

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Just for clarification: this forum is for both complicated questions and simple requests. If someone asks a simple request, and you think it's being lazy and gratuitous, then don't answer it - but please don't come down hard on them for it. I've asked a few really dopey questions on here myself, and I'd like to think that I know the rules pretty well.

Luckily, there are relatively few simple questions asked. That's what makes this forum interesting and fun to read.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Piratecat said:
Luckily, there are relatively few simple questions asked. That's what makes this forum interesting and fun to read.

Actually, some of the threads that I'm most likely to open are the ones that ask very simple questions. Particularly when I see that they've gotten a lot of replies. I opened this one precisely because it had 15 replies and I thought, "How the heck could that question generate 15 replies? Maybe there's more to coup-de-grace than I thought." Turns out not. But I've learned a lot about the rules from reading big threads that asked seemingly simple questions that I thought I knew the answers to.

Heck, I just learned a month ago that you can only Run in a straight line.

Darklone

Well... reading this nice long thread to a nice short simple question, gathering what I wanted to post... and Rel wrote it already. Hi Rel! :D

Remove ads