Is a Kickstarter for this Epic Bestiary book a good idea?

Is a Kickstarter for this Epic Bestiary a good idea?

Thanks for the feedback amigo! :)

I vote just go BW or limit to the effect.

I am wondering if, when you have multiple characters in an image, does the spot colour distract, more than making the image 'pop'.

A lot of the images have an additional character for scale reference.

FWIW the "Sarcophagolem" is one of the weaker 'epic' threats in the book, but one that works well in tandem with a secondary monster.

dave2008

Legend
Thanks for the feedback amigo! :)

I am wondering if, when you have multiple characters in an image, does the spot colour distract, more than making the image 'pop'.

A lot of the images have an additional character for scale reference.

FWIW the "Sarcophagolem" is one of the weaker 'epic' threats in the book, but one that works well in tandem with a secondary monster.
I think the color could distract. I like the use of color w/ BW or Grayscale imagery, but it will draw the eye. If you want to avoid that, stick with the BW.

PS - I like the direction of this BW art.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Personally, I think a single use of color works better when contrasted with a great deal of black (or dark grays) than when it's sitting amidst a great deal of white space. Color against darkness seems to pop, whereas color against a lot of white seems washed out.

Sarcophagolem shaded 2 with border 50%.jpg

Still experimenting. Used a quicker method (hence the rough edges) to isolate the image and drop a reflected gradient behind it to help distinguish the lightning and see what a gradient background looked like. Then I isolated the lightning and gave it an outer glow.

Still not totally satisfied...also for some reason the gradient now seems far darker (may have been a side effect of me resizing it to show on the forums here). Previously it was a narrow band in the middle.

Hey Alzrius amigo! :)

Personally, I think a single use of color works better when contrasted with a great deal of black (or dark grays) than when it's sitting amidst a great deal of white space. Color against darkness seems to pop, whereas color against a lot of white seems washed out.

I think you are completely right.

I may try one or two more variants in the morning just to satisfy my curiousity.

Sarcophagolem black and white experiment.jpg

Which out of those 3 black and white versions do you think is the best?

My concern is that if I do some sort of gradient background for one illustration I'll need to do it for the other 80, but it sort of makes sense for the lightning in this pic.

I should point out that I increased the arm of the Sarcophagolem in the latest illustrations so it slightly breaks the border.

Hey Akira buddy! :)

I intended to press yes. I would love to see anything new and interesting released that could potentially scale to the point of ihb.

My current plans scale beyond the Immortals Handbook, however, there is only so much ground I can cover in one book, even a 320 page book (at least, one that is 2/3rds a Bestiary). So I will try to do as much as I can in this book and if I get to do a sequel I'll up the ante again.

Remove ads