Is a Kickstarter for this Epic Bestiary book a good idea?

Is a Kickstarter for this Epic Bestiary a good idea?

dave2008

Legend
Here is the gargantuan "grave titan." If you do a search the file is for sale or you can but printed versions.
1647899218602.png

Hey dave buddy! :)

Gargantuan and larger monsters can be 3D printed. You can go quite large if you break it into parts too. I haven't looked into the tech in a while, but I have seen gargantuan 3d printed minis.

PS - I have thought of doing the same thing. There was a dragon based KS that had this feature recently and it really made me want to jump on that bandwagon

Its not something I am necessarily looking to do with this Kickstarter (I'll wait and see whether people like the monsters in this book*), but definitely something that would be cool in the future.

*Its possible the average monster in this book is too big for a collection of miniatures - I think over 50% are probably Huge size or bigger.

I think I prefer your other Tiamat miniature dave.

I have a particular character in mind and even if I could get this one miniature 3D modeled (as maybe a higher tier reward or add-on) it would be very cool.

...as I mentioned over in the cosmic power levels thread...

I have been studying up on Kickstarter and they are saying do about 6-12 months of a prelaunch campaign before you launch the actual Kickstarter. The problem with that is they say also have the product ready (or 80-90% ready) before you start the pre-launch, so you have stuff to show. Clearly with procrastinating being my Achilles' Heel, I'll want as much done as possible.

I don't see myself sitting on this book for 6-12 months after its finished, but I will need at least a few months to build up an email list when I start my launch page.

I am happy to set a $5000 Funded total, even though that is well below my break even point.

Assuming I have less than 300 backers wanting a print copy (and that's a fairly safe assumption) my plan is to still have 300 copies printed (just under $8000) and hope to sell them over the subsequent 12 months on either Amazon or Ebay. Printing 300 means each will only cost $25, whereas anything under 300 copies is about $33 per book or more.

As noted before the Reward Tiers will be:

$25 - PDF
$55 - Hardcover 320 page book + PDF
$85 - Slipcase + Signed Hardcover 320 page book + PDF

So I am not going too crazy on the Rewards - I may have something extra for those who pledge in the first 48 hours (still working on that). I may also have an add-on for a miniature from the book (but still very early days on that idea - I am not sure it will be feasible.).

Stretch Goals (my current thinking at least):

$6000 - Monster Stats Chart Card printed out
$8000 - Bookmark Beast, an additional epic monster on a bookmark.
$11,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$15,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$20,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$26,000 - Extra colour art commissioned

While the book has a ton of art (90 or so illustrations) it will be 90% black & white (albeit I am experimenting with adding spot colour to some of the B&W art). What colour art I have (and will have - still some pieces to commission) is good but currently at best I will have 8-10 full colour pages inside the book. So using stretch goals to boost that amount seems like a good idea.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or suggestions on the above feel free to let me know.

dave2008

Legend
...as I mentioned over in the cosmic power levels thread...

I have been studying up on Kickstarter and they are saying do about 6-12 months of a prelaunch campaign before you launch the actual Kickstarter. The problem with that is they say also have the product ready (or 80-90% ready) before you start the pre-launch, so you have stuff to show. Clearly with procrastinating being my Achilles' Heel, I'll want as much done as possible.

I don't see myself sitting on this book for 6-12 months after its finished, but I will need at least a few months to build up an email list when I start my launch page.

I am happy to set a $5000 Funded total, even though that is well below my break even point.

Assuming I have less than 300 backers wanting a print copy (and that's a fairly safe assumption) my plan is to still have 300 copies printed (just under $8000) and hope to sell them over the subsequent 12 months on either Amazon or Ebay. Printing 300 means each will only cost $25, whereas anything under 300 copies is about $33 per book or more.

As noted before the Reward Tiers will be:

$25 - PDF
$55 - Hardcover 320 page book + PDF
$85 - Slipcase + Signed Hardcover 320 page book + PDF

So I am not going too crazy on the Rewards - I may have something extra for those who pledge in the first 48 hours (still working on that). I may also have an add-on for a miniature from the book (but still very early days on that idea - I am not sure it will be feasible.).

Stretch Goals (my current thinking at least):

$6000 - Monster Stats Chart Card printed out
$8000 - Bookmark Beast, an additional epic monster on a bookmark.
$11,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$15,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$20,000 - Extra colour art commissioned
$26,000 - Extra colour art commissioned

While the book has a ton of art (90 or so illustrations) it will be 90% black & white (albeit I am experimenting with adding spot colour to some of the B&W art). What colour art I have (and will have - still some pieces to commission) is good but currently at best I will have 8-10 full colour pages inside the book. So using stretch goals to boost that amount seems like a good idea.

If anyone has any thoughts, comments or suggestions on the above feel free to let me know.
So far I think this sounds like very grounded approach and solid plan. I have a list of 100+ people that backed my epic Kickstarter that I updated about my progress. When you getting ready to start your marketing campaign let me know and I will link to it in one of my updates.

My one suggestion: find out about minis. It seems to me that projects with minis do really well. When you hit a roadblock in your writing, research getting custom 3d monster designs for 3D printing and/or actual minis.

Hey dave buddy! :)

So far I think this sounds like very grounded approach and solid plan.

Just trying to keep it as simple as possible, the more extras I tack on the greater likelihood of delays so simplicity is the key.

I have a list of 100+ people that backed my epic Kickstarter that I updated about my progress. When you getting ready to start your marketing campaign let me know and I will link to it in one of my updates.

That would be awesome amigo. :love:

My one suggestion: find out about minis. It seems to me that projects with minis do really well. When you hit a roadblock in your writing, research getting custom 3d monster designs for 3D printing and/or actual minis.

I'll look into it. If I can get some 3D models made it would be cool.

I still suspect the scale of my monster roster is a tad on the big side: Off the top of my head its around 20 medium, 15 large, 20 huge, 10 gargantuan and 15 bigger than gargantuan (those are not exact numbers, but its in around those for each size give or take one or two). We discussed in private about how to do Mega-size monsters. But as regards standard mini sizes typically miniature lines will have a majority of medium-sized creatures. Although I guess the 3D modelling process might not be much more expensive for bigger sizes.

Remove ads