• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is craft contingent spell to powerful?

Justin Cray

First Post
Vegepygmy said:
The thing about Craft Contingent Spell is that a single targeted greater dispel magic can ruin your whole day.

Not if your crafted contingency is greater dispel magic that triggers to counter other greater dispel magics.

:lol:

green slime

First Post
Nail said:
That's exactly what I had my high level Clr do. My favorites were 1st land 2nd evel spells, like Obscuring Mist, Lesser Vigor, Ghost Touch Armor, Invisibility, Feather Fall, etc.....and that was before Spell Compendium introduced all of those swift spells. :]

Yeah, but did you consider it broken at the time? I mean, to anyone with arcane sight, you're nothing but a huge greater dispel magic attractor.

green slime

First Post
Justin Cray said:
Not if your crafted contingency is greater dispel magic that triggers to counter other greater dispel magics.

Sounds like a very expensive contingency suite is building up here, in terms of both XP and gp.

Felix

Explorer
Justin Cray said:

Greater Dispel Maigc: 6th level spell.
Minimum Caster Level: 11th
Cost to craft: 6,600gp.

-or-

Ring of Counterspells
Cost: 4,000gp.

It seems for your purposes, the ring of counterspells is going to be a much, much better way to stop Dispels from stripping you of your Contingent Spells. And the ring is certainly not broken.

Nail

First Post
green slime said:
Yeah, but did you consider it broken at the time?
I was a player at the time...of course I didn't think it was broken! :)

green slime said:
I mean, to anyone with arcane sight, you're nothing but a huge greater dispel magic attractor.
Now would be the time to tell you about my Ring of Counterspells, right? :] :D

green slime

First Post
Nail said:
I was a player at the time...of course I didn't think it was broken! :)

Now would be the time to tell you about my Ring of Counterspells, right? :] :D

No worries. That trick works once per encounter, tops. It's a staple of 3e for any sensible spellcaster that utilizes buffs. Sort of expected.

Nail

First Post
green slime said:
...Sort of expected.
I pretty much always surprised my DM with it, though. Poor guy.

One ring is fine....but two rings are better. Putting the ability into your vest is even better, and making the ability store three spells instead of one is priceless.

Nail

First Post
Felix said:
I'm fairly sure a gp price could be assigned. It would cost more than 12,000gp. Much more.
Sure, but....Show me the calculation. :]

[EDIT] ....and, let's keep the context in mind: this was for high level play. At high levels, yer loaded with wealth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads