D&D 5E Is D&D Next Open?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Hey all,

Man, it's been ages since I've posted on here and I'm really out of the loop. I did playtest D&D Next, but I haven't seen anything on whether or not it will be open. Didn't turn up much info on the Google searches I did just a lot of people talking about it. Has there been any word from Wizards on that at all at PAX?

Obryn

Hero
I'd be surprised if even WotC knew right now.

I'm pretty sure it will be something more permissive than early 4e, but not so open as to allow another company to basically reprint their entire game and profit from it again.

darjr

I crit!
Not really. Though two maybe three third parties have said that WotC told them OGL. I think, however, one of them didn't care or didn't understand really what the OGL was.

mhensley

First Post
The dearth of information on 5e at this point makes me question wotc's competency. It's starting to smell like Gleemax. :erm:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The dearth of information on 5e at this point makes me question wotc's competency.

Well, that's the basic knee-jerk reaction we see around here - Company isn't doing what you want? Question competency! It's the first thing folks tend to reach for.

Now, your position may not be of that form, but we cannot tell it from the "I just wanna bash WotC" crowd as written.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'll be honest, I didn't have a problem with the way WotC acted until very recently, the lack of L&L column for two weeks in a row is absolutely unacceptable and it's a deal breaker for me, sorry WotC you are not getting my money ever!!!!!!1!!11!

And don't try to lure me with pretty pictures and streamed games with Chris Perkins and interesting adventures and such, I won't buy it!

:p:p:p

Warder

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hey all,

Man, it's been ages since I've posted on here and I'm really out of the loop. I did playtest D&D Next, but I haven't seen anything on whether or not it will be open. Didn't turn up much info on the Google searches I did just a lot of people talking about it. Has there been any word from Wizards on that at all at PAX?

Nothing official yet.

Unofficially two different independent publishers, who are not related to each other in any way, let it slip that they were told directly by someone high up at WOTC that 5e would be OGL.

Now both later said it was a long time ago they were told this, so things could have changed since they were told this, and nothing was in writing.

That's as much as we know.

Remove ads