• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is D&D too PC friendly

How PC friendly is you D&D world

• too PC friendly

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • a little PC friendly

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Just right (at least one death)

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • Not PCfriendly at all

Votes: 14 13.1%

Henry

Autoexreginated
I was just about to suggest other games, but Umbran beat me to it. If a group starts to get into an adversarial mood, as will happen from time to time, it might be a good idea to switch games for a little while, to one with an identifiable objective. Paranoia works well, as do many board games, games like battletech and mege knight, etc. Sometimes, after a hard week's work, you don't feel like working cooperatively towards an intricate plot, and sometimes just want to blow the heck out of each other.

There's no sense ruining the campaign. Just switch games for a while, and when the group gets back on track, fire up the campaign again. This has been the salvation of many a D&D game. :)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Artimoff said:
I think that there was a DM vs. PC mentality to 1e and Hackmaster that isn't in 3e ( or 2e). So yes, 3e is more friendly to PCs. But that's just because it's not shoot on sight anymore. 3e waits until it sees the whites of your eyes first.

I concur.

Pro-PC changes:
(1) Magic item creation
(2) Consistent wealth guidelines with NPCs lower (in the long term) than PCs.
(3) Poison and other ability damage that is usually easy to fix (although often inconvenient in the short run).
(4) Guidelines for encounter difficulties that typically give the PCs a strong edge.
(5) Faster leveling

Seule

Explorer
I can't vote in the poll, because like others here, I disagree with your premise.
I've not had a PC death yet, but the players have been smart, and the characters have been lucky. There have been multiple near-misses, and I think that provides plenty of drama. There's nothing like a party that has adventured together for years, and too many deaths spoils that continuity.

I provide drama through my players' knowledge that my world has no methods of returning from the dead, save undeath. If they die, the characters are gone, make a new one. This allows even less dangerous encounters to have danger: one unfortunate critical....

--Seule

Enceladus

First Post
Henry said:
I was just about to suggest other games, but Umbran beat me to it. If a group starts to get into an adversarial mood, as will happen from time to time, it might be a good idea to switch games for a little while, to one with an identifiable objective. Paranoia works well, as do many board games, games like battletech and mege knight, etc. Sometimes, after a hard week's work, you don't feel like working cooperatively towards an intricate plot, and sometimes just want to blow the heck out of each other.

There's no sense ruining the campaign. Just switch games for a while, and when the group gets back on track, fire up the campaign again. This has been the salvation of many a D&D game. :)

]No one ever dies in A-Team d20.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Enceladus said:
No one ever dies in A-Team d20.

Heck, no one ever even gets shot in A-Team d20... just lots of puffs of dust around their feet, and then inevitably the truck full of watermelons falls over on them so they're all dirty and demoralized by the melon goo hanging from their ears, and they have to give up.

I often wonder why that show even had guns... not that I didn't enjoy it anyways. :)

Iced Tea

First Post
I havent finished all the replys to my thread yet but so far it seems that i have been getting some good responses. I wasnt necessarily saying that the DM and Players should be fighting each other incase that is what some of you got. In my brothers campaign world, he likes realism a lot. so when he throws battles at us, they tend to be really close to what we can face and barely survive sometimes. so far i have died once, and through the luck of the dice, my body floated up to the rest of the party (i was exploring an underwater passage that the rest couldnt explore so i could find a place to teleport them to safely) and my cohort floated to a friendly (ill call him NpC cause he never really plays or does anythign) at-9 and was stabalized with a nat 20. my familiar owl however drifted off into the abyss:( . My other brothers paladin has died twice, once to a kobold sorcerer because he healed another player instead of himself (he convinced his saint to ressurect him but came back with white hair dont really know the whole story) and again to a CR 18 monster that was the boss (everyone but me and a cohort died) and then one other person who plays with us rarely has died 3 times. the only thing that i am upset about is that raise dead drops you back to half the xp of the last level you were at. when I died i was 3k form getting 13 level but when i died i lost more than 13k i think. anyways, keep up the good posts and dont mind my absentminded, mispelled posts everso often, for I, have no job what so ever, and will use cammas to try and hide my inability at creating coherent non-run-on sentances. :D

Iced Tea

First Post
Incase you dotn want to read the much larger post above this one
I think you might have some poorly chosen words here, but I'll try my best to answer...
i sort of did. i didnt mean that there should really be any there, and if there was, just a pretend playful animosity ;). but should the monsters and traps and stuff and et cetera that the DM throws at the players really threaten their lives, of course it does because of chance, but do your players ever reach negatives, or in some cases the dreaded NEGATIVE 0 :p. i have had deaths, from stupidity and just bad luck, that is just life. NOw to go off and do errands like i was supposed to do.

Fenes 2

First Post
Iced Tea said:
In my brothers campaign world, he likes realism a lot. so when he throws battles at us, they tend to be really close to what we can face and barely survive sometimes.

I don't agree with that. IMHO, in a realistic campaign most of the battles would not be close, they would either be a cakewalk or a massacre. It is extremly unrealistic that a party would always face "close battles", or even most of the time.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Iced Tea said:
dont mind my absentminded, mispelled posts everso often, for I, have no job what so ever, and will use cammas to try and hide my inability at creating coherent non-run-on sentances. :D

Your effort is appreciated. :)

Remove ads