• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is DM fiat okay?

Is DM fiat ok?

• Yes

Votes: 270 89.4%
  • No

Votes: 32 10.6%

Thurbane

First Post
DM fiat is both a right and responsibility - it's a right in the fact that as the DM, you have sacrificed your time to run a game for everyone else, you are trying to run an enjoyable and cohesive game, therefore you have the right of fiat.

On the other hand, if you consistently pass down bad or unfair judgements, expect players to get unhappy very quickly, and start leaving the game soon after that.

In my own group, we all acknowledge that the DM has the right to make a final decision. We are free to ask why, or to offer suggestions that perhaps he hadn't thought of, but if the decision stands, we abide by it. Outside of the session, we all feel free to discuss rulings and say whether we thought it could have been handled better.

The one thing we all want to avoid is bickering and rules disputes during a session. To this end, we are all prepared to accept a DM ruling, even if we mightn't agree with it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Psion said:
I'd say Fiat is a problem if your GM is untrustworthy. ;)

Fiat is not reliable. it gets terrible gas mileage too.

so i guess you could say it is untrustworthy when it gets older.

YMMV

Jupp

Explorer
I voted "Yes" because with the DM having the last word (DM fiat is an ugly term and is marked with too much negativity) it will prevent rules discussions and unneeded breaks that interrupt the flow of the game. Such things can then be discussed later on while the group eats pizza or pasta :) Regarding rule changes that deviate from the RAW it shoud be a collaborative effort between the DM and the players. In the end houserules should be there to make the game more interesting/easier to play for both sides.

Remove ads