Is Drizzt destined to become a Classic?

nikolai

First Post
Sword and Sorcery is at the bottom of the genre pile. It's considered trashy, even for fantasy. There's no suggestion that this is a work of literature; I just want to debate it's standing with sub-genre.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/classicsoffantasy

Buttercup said:
We're starting to see reprints of many of the early Realms and Dragonlance titles bundled in hardback editions, Salvatore's stuff included. This signals the beginning of the end...

In 10 years you'll still be able to find Salvatore's stuff on the shelves of larger libraries, because libraries are in the business of keeping stuff. But you won't be able to buy Drizzt books, except on Ebay. In 30 years, no one will have heard of him.

Buttercup, I really do respect your opinion; but I'm not sure I agree with it here. I've seen Pratchett's work bundled together in hardback, and I doubt this is the beginning of the end for him. I think it's just a response to lots of books and a way of trying to make them available and expand the readership. I'm not saying this means that it will still be around in the future, but I don't think it means it won't either. The shared-world and ownership by Wizards puts this type of writing apart from S&S writing originally published in pulps or short story collections, I'm not sure what the consequence of it will be though.

I agree with Crothian that it's the best of the RPG lit, which is not saying much. I'm just interested in what will happen in the long run. Drizzt sells and it sells lots, it's also 16 years since Drizzt first appeared, so if it's dying it's dying slowly.

Last edited:

Melan

Explorer
What is a classic? Is John Norman's GOR (Heh... ;) ) classics? If yes, Drizzt can hope for the best. But he will never be as big as Conan or John Carter. Maybe even Raistlin. I dislike the Dragonlance trilogy, but I admit they have a chance - about as much as a 2nd line fantasist does.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Elric. Conan. Grey Mouser. Gandalf. John Carter. Drizzt.

I don't have a problem with that list.

I've known a number of people who have read Drizzt novels but who have absolutely no interest in Role-Playing Games at all.

If a character can break out of our provincial little sub-subculture and into the mainstream of geekdom---more power to him.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Bendris Noulg said:
No. In 20 years, Salvator and his pet munchkin will be long gone and forgotten.
God how I wish but I think not, having been gaming 20+ years, I have seen some things and I think Drizzt will be a classic, good or bad the duel sword using drow will be with us.

Oni

First Post
If Drizzt becomes a classic character it won't be based on the strength of Salvatore's writing. While I can respect that fact that the man gets regular work, I imagine it's mostly because it's is writing is easily digestable by the younger crowd. Personally I find his writing dull and ackward, his characters lifeless. And how many bloody times can you use the phrase perfect balance in the same book?

LGodamus

First Post
well if current sales are any sort of indicator...then sure he will...as has already been mentioned the Drizz books almost always hit the best seller list...thats not fantasy best seller...thats new york times best seller, for all books ,list. There are lots of Drizz fans that have nothing to do with RPGs, I know more than a few. While He may never be as big as conan or LOTR..the people saying that dragonlance is more classic are a little deluded...even if dragonlance is better material more people are gonna remember the dark elf..cause more people read the book in the first place.

Turjan

Explorer
Hmm... I heard nobody ever make a good remark about Salvatore's writing style. I always hear "dull", "bland", "lifeless". I don't really know why he is so popular.

So the answer to the original question would be: if the definition "classic" includes anything like quality, definitely no! If you go for sales figures and invention of one of the most overused fantasy stereotypes to day, then yes ;).

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
nikolai said:
Buttercup, I really do respect your opinion; but I'm not sure I agree with it here. .
That's perfectly ok. For all you know, my crystal ball could be scratched. Or it could have been replaced with a defective one by a dire capuchin monkey.;)

Let me say this, then. Salvatore appeals to a certain demographic, as do the rest of the FR novels. It's no accident that FR novels have been paperback originals, given the demographic they're aimed at. But some of the early readers remember the old titles with fondness, and they now have enough disposable income to purchase them again, only in hardback "keepsake" editions.

I guess it depends on your definition of classic. IMO, something can't be a classic unless it's reasonably well written. So, though I know many people love his work, I'm sorry, but Salvatore ain't never gonna be a classic author. He's just not good enough.

Remove ads