• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Drizzt destined to become a Classic?

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
D'karr said:
Are you allowed to have an opinion? Of course. There is a difference between an opinion and a criticism that has no constructive side to it based solely on personal opinion.

Yes, you have a right to your preferences but calling someone a hack, just because you don't like their particular style is not the same as your example.

Just because I don't like Art Deco does not mean that people that create in that style are hacks.
But you see, there actually are objective means of judging literary works. Theme, plot, characterization, pacing, et cetera, all play a part. And by these standards, Salvatore, and many other extremely popular authors, irregardless of genre, come up wanting. Mind you, I'm not one of those people who despises something just because it's popular. Sticking to the subject of authors, for instance, Steven King is wildly popular, but also has an excellent command of the English language, and of literary form. So even though I'm not a big fan of his, I would never call him a hack. Moorcock, or Silverberg, or, as I mentioned earlier, Martin, all are excellent writers, who are far more likely to stand the test of time than is Salvatore. Anne McCaffrey, on the other hand, though I dearly love many of her stories, isn't a very good writer, in the technical sense.

And I think it's worth pointing out that there is nothing wrong with enjoying someone's books, even though they aren't a great writer. When I say that Salvatore is a hack, that doesn't mean I think people who like him are inferior in some way. I'm sure Mr. Salvatore is a very nice man. Rich too, most likely. He's just doesn't have the same talent or skill as George R. R. Martin, or Michael Moorcock, or Robert Silverberg, or Ursula LeGuin or C.L. Moore....

D'karr

Adventurer
Turjan said:
There are objective standards for use of the English language and writing styles, and according to this standards Salvatore's writing is sub-par. There's nothing subjective about this statement. You may like it, but it's bad style, nevertheless.
And since I never said I liked Salvatore's style that is the first flaw. And besides it is irrelevant to this discussion. The original question had nothing to do with whether I or anyone else likes or dislikes Salvatore's writing. It had to do with a specific character of his novels ever becoming a classic.

My first post was in response to someone commenting that there seemed to be a lot of vitriol whenever Salvatore was mentioned. I happen to agree. It always seems like a very vocal minority throws stones at Salvatore because his writing is, according to them, sub-par. However, he is still published and a New York Bestseller List author to boot.

Man, I wish my writing style was as sub-par.

And your dismissal of other's opinion because they can't write is just ridiculous as several others have pointed out by now. I can't write and my English is, admittedly, not very good (that's the point with foreign languages, I suppose). Nevertheless, I recognize bad style when it hits me.
Let's get facts straight, I never dismissed anyone's opinion. I said they were entitled to them. However, you know what is usually said of opinions - everyone has got one.

Critics abound whenever someone gets to do something that the majority does not. Their OPINIONS have as much weight as mine, which is to say none.

Dark Jezter

First Post
D'karr said:
To say it mildly usually those who cannot write, toss tomatoes...

"How is it that R.A. Salvatore is able to publish so many books, but I can't get anybody to read my Sailor Moon fan fiction?"

:D

Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but I do see that mentality from every wannabe writer who thinks that their stuff is better than stuff the professionals make.

KenM

Banned
Banned
gfunk said:
There seems to be a lot of Salvatore envy/bitterness on this thread.

Salvatore does a good job of describing the action, has decent pacing, ect.. But IMO He is just a a action/ adventure type writer. JRRT did a great job of describing setting, but IMO he totally sucked at pacing and describing the major action/ plot devolpment in LotR. Martin IMO has the perfect balance between the two, at least in ASOIAF.
My problem is not with Drizzit, but all the people that want to play Drizzit clones in RPG's. Think of something orginal.

Sirius_Black

First Post
Buttercup said:
[ looks into crystal ball ]

Salvatore's writing classic? Not on your life. The mists of time will swallow him and his work....In 30 years, no one will have heard of him. Tolkien will live on. George R R Martin will live on. Heck, even Mercedes Lackey, much as her work makes my fillings ache, stands a better chance of living on than Salvatore.

[ swathes crystal ball carefully in its silk wrapper, and puts it away ]

Oh my Goddess, I think I'm in love. Buttercup, if I ever have wronged you with words or deeds, I apologize. That post was eloquently beautiful and accurate!

D'karr

Adventurer
KenM said:
My problem is not with Drizzit, but all the people that want to play Drizzit clones in RPG's. Think of something orginal.
Bravo!!

Heh, heh. Those who cannot come up with something original, play Drizzt. LOL

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Turjan said:
Tolkien has already been very popular in the 70's. I suppose that about half of my classmates read the LotR. This was also about the sole fantasy book the teachers acutally knew. So I'd say that Peter Jackson added somewhat to Tolkien's popularity, but he didn't make him a classic. He's already been a classic long before that.
Indeed, it could be said that Jackson did the movies because the books are classics. Considering how just about every interview with him consists of repeated statements of "getting it right" because there are "millions of fans of the books" shows that even he himself understands the trust he was given when he took on the task as well as the reprocussions of turning a classic into a dud. Anyone thinking that Tolkein is popular because of Jackson might want to consider why news of LotR becoming a movie spread so quickly through the gaming community to begin with. Surely it wasn't because of Peter Jackson, was it? No, it's because it was Lord of the Rings. Jackson's name became known because that's the name of the guy that was going to get tarred and feathered if he screwed it up.

Then there's Drizzt... Sure, someone can make a Drizzt movie, but looking at the D&D movie that was already made, it wouldn't do much except make a bunch of fanboys drool while re-inforcing the views of those that dislike Salvatore's writing already. Add in the fact that even his non-Drizzt works are just as drab, boring, and two-dimensional. And anyone making a movie needn't be worried about getting tarred and feathered by millions of fans, although the poor sap that drew the short straw for the job probably should worry about a few pie-throwing fanboys.

I agree that Tolkein's writing isn't the be-all best. However, Tolkein created a world that was rich, living, and deeply immersive. Tolkein invites you into Middle Earth. Salvatore, however, relies primarily on the backdrop of the Realms which he can't really effect in any dramatic way without WotC approval. Note a recurring theme in many Drizzt books: He constantly prevents Toril from being dramatically changed by the bad guys while gaining very little ground for the good guys. Why? Because it would change the Realms, and that requires Market Group Research, Accessory pre-planning, and months of playtesting. >yawn< Salvatore's hands are kinda tied there.

And, to top it off, I read a lot. My reading library is about twice the size as my gaming library (containing all of the writers Buttercup lists and many more). So, I must concur with the sentiment that Salvatore is a hack, a popular writer of our time who's books will (at best) out live him for only a short time, and will then appear in collection volumes, and then later on the Home Shopping Network and in the Sci-Fi Book Club.

(Hmmm... Got images of fanboys lurking around Salvatore's grave like he was Jim Morrison or something... Gotta stop snorting dandelions...)

Elf Witch

First Post
I have never read any of his work. But I had to post because of somethings that were said.

When it comes to art any kind saying if something is good is very subjective it so much depends on what you like, where you come from, even how you feel the day you are exposed to it.

I have to say that I have read many so called classics and have been bored to tears. They just didn't speak to me.

One reason things become classics is their staying power and in their ability to speak to us. For example the Scarlet Letter is considered by many to be a classic but not to me when I read it I got so annoyed with Hester to the modern me I felt that she made herself a victim and that she should have spoken up that the man who got her pregnant was as much involved as she was. I did not see it as a nobel act but a stupid one. So it did not really speak to me. It is the same with Salvador Dali's art I am usually like yeah there is that damn burning girafe again. :) Yet I have a friend who just loves his work.

KenM

Banned
Banned
As an aside, I meet Salvatore at a con back in like 1990, nice guy. I think he writes what people want to read, he has to pay the bills.

I'm not a Drizzt fan, though I've enjoyed some of Salvatore's writing. Heck, I enjoyed the D&D novel line, even though they're utter drivel, from a literary standpoint. But Salvatore a classic? No, not yet. The Dragonlance Chronicles might qualify -- maybe, barely -- but that's the only gaming fiction I'd nominate.

My biggest gripe with Salvatore isn't his characters, or background, or action, or any of that -- it's his formula. After the first two novels of his I read, the "begin the chapter with deep introspective commentary" got really, really old.

Remove ads