Is Drizzt destined to become a Classic?

Dark Jezter

First Post
Buttercup said:
[ looks into crystal ball ]In 10 years you'll still be able to find Salvatore's stuff on the shelves of larger libraries, because libraries are in the business of keeping stuff. But you won't be able to buy Drizzt books, except on Ebay. In 30 years, no one will have heard of him. Tolkien will live on. George R R Martin will live on. Heck, even Mercedes Lackey, much as her work makes my fillings ache, stands a better chance of living on than Salvatore.

I disagree.

The first book to feature Drizzt was published 16 years ago, and sold very well. Subsequent books featuring Drizzt and his friends have also been big sellers. Salvatore has said that he enjoys writing Drizzt stories so much he dosen't forsee stopping any time soon.

So, I think Drizzt is going to be around for a good, long time.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
gfunk said:
There seems to be a lot of Salvatore envy/bitterness on this thread.
I don't envy him, nor am I bitter. I just think he's a hack. There are people I envy, but come to think of it, none of them are authors.:)

Turjan

Explorer
gfunk said:
There seems to be a lot of Salvatore envy/bitterness on this thread.
I don't think it's envy. Personally, I think earning money by meeting the interests of many people and actually fulfilling these interests is a very clever thing. I can appreciate that.
Nevertheless, it's no secret that Salvatore's writing style is far from good. Don't get me wrong, as far as style goes, I don't think that Tolkien is a good writer, either. In Tolkien's case, I nevertheless like the books because of the ideas behind them. In Salvatore's case, I don't ;).
D'karr said:
To say it mildly usually those who cannot write, toss tomatoes...
Oh, the old stance that those who cannot achieve a certain work themselves are not allowed to judge someone else's work. This notion doesn't become more true by constant repetition.

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
OH, you don't like something, you must be envious or bitter about it.

um....no, I just don't like it.

And as far as those can't toss tomatoes.

1. A person does not have to be skilled in a craft to be a competent judge of the final product.

2. It has been my experience that when people do error in judgement over the quality of an item through their lack of knowledge of its creation it is more likely they well appreciate something that is mediocre than dislike something that is well made.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
D'karr said:
To say it mildly usually those who cannot write, toss tomatoes...
But what of those of us who can, and do write? Are we allowed to have an opinion?

Besides, your point is not reasonable. Do you mean to suggest, by extension, that if I can't build a house myself, I have no right to have an opinion about one style of dwelling versus another? I'm sure you don't. But it's the same thing, you know.:)

gfunk

First Post
As others have pointed out, fantasy is the bottom of the barrel genre. It doesn't nearly have the stature of say science-fiction or (IMO) even alternative history.

Other than things like Arthurian legends and similarly old works, I think perhaps fantasy and classic are mutually exclusive. Also, I don't think Tolkien would be as remotely popular as he is today without Peter Jackson.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
Turjan said:
SNIP...

Nevertheless, it's no secret that Salvatore's writing style is far from good.
And that is your opinion, which you are completely entitled to. However, it is obviously not the opinion of the many readers who continue to buy his books when they come out.

Oh, the old stance that those who cannot achieve a certain work themselves are not allowed to judge someone else's work. This notion doesn't become more true by constant repetition.
Well, you can judge all you want. Your opinion only has importance to you and is just as valid as everyone elses. Besides it seems that the majority of opinions are still firmly on Salvatore's camp.

Turjan

Explorer
@gfunk: Tolkien has already been very popular in the 70's. I suppose that about half of my classmates read the LotR. This was also about the sole fantasy book the teachers acutally knew. So I'd say that Peter Jackson added somewhat to Tolkien's popularity, but he didn't make him a classic. He's already been a classic long before that.

D'karr said:
And that is your opinion, which you are completely entitled to. However, it is obviously not the opinion of the many readers who continue to buy his books when they come out
There are objective standards for use of the English language and writing styles, and according to these standards Salvatore's writing is sub-par. There's nothing subjective about this statement. You may like his books, but they are bad style, nevertheless.
And your dismissal of other's opinion because they can't write is just ridiculous as several others have pointed out by now. I can't write and my English is, admittedly, not very good (that's the point with foreign languages, I suppose). Nevertheless, I recognize bad style when it hits me.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
Buttercup said:
But what of those of us who can, and do write? Are we allowed to have an opinion?

Besides, your point is not reasonable. Do you mean to suggest, by extension, that if I can't build a house myself, I have no right to have an opinion about one style of dwelling versus another? I'm sure you don't. But it's the same thing, you know.:)
Are you allowed to have an opinion? Of course. There is a difference between an opinion and a criticism that has no constructive side to it based solely on personal opinion.

Yes, you have a right to your preferences but calling someone a hack, just because you don't like their particular style is not the same as your example.

Just because I don't like Art Deco does not mean that people that create in that style are hacks.

Remove ads