• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is every Official Adventure Going to be about Saving the World?

Tormyr

Hero
I figure when they release the conversion guides for the prior editions, all I will really need to do is use old modules I like.

The nice thing is that with the DMG coming out in a few weeks, you don't really need to wait for the conversion guides. Most everything will be covered, and the few monsters, magic items and traps that are missing will be easy to whip up.

I think it's a lot more difficult to come up with an epic storyline if it isn't save the world. I guess you could try to come up with a revenge plot, as it could apply to the whole group and could go on to high levels. But more personal-focused plots, are definitely not something that would work for a published storyline as it's best for DMs to plot on their own.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I find it ironic, you may not, that 5e is more about story, but the paths are finished every 6 months or so. You hardly know your character, and you are done. Very tactical on the grand scale, imo.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I don't think APs need to make the stakes world shattering. Exploration for the sake of exploration can be fun. I'd be just as happy with a progressive series of adventures leading to a cool treasure or discoveries. Exploration for the sake of exploration is what D&D is about.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
- People are disappearing. Let's find out where they're going. It's not some monster/ghost story, someone's actually taking them!? Who's doing it? Let's find them. It's a whole slave trade operation?! Who's the ringleader/guys in charge? Let's stop those guys.

- Dark elf families/houses' internal politics and intrigue...maybe a lesser deity trying to increase/cement her power on some plane in the Abyss.

- There's a tomb of some lich from way back. Loads of treasure there but no one can find it and the thing would probably come after you if you did. Wow! Lookit the skull with those great big shiny gems! That's worth some bucks right there.

- There's a bunch of caves near this borderland keep. There' some messed up stuff happening there and monsters keep moving in there. What are they up to? Why aren't they paying rent?

- Here's the legend, of a lovely lady...and then one day when this lady met this fellow and they knew that it was much more than a hunch that these two would someday form a kingdom, they disappeared into a cave before their lunch. Find the young lovers. Stumbled into the [a?] Land of Faerie, huh? What's going on in there? How are do you get back to your own world?

- You're a hero! Here's some land. Even a lil' village already in place. Just have a liiiiittle pest control problem...and have to get rid of the monsters living in yon hills. Didn't the duke mention? No? Well, soon as you've cleared all of those out, you can build your castle! Though the neighboring baron really would like to get his hands on your rumored "heroes' treasures" and had his eye on this stretch of real estate for a whiiiile. Invasion. All of these troop movements and loud battles woke the dragon in the old forest. He's not pleased.

None of these involve "save the world" storylines and [those that already aren't] could easily be teased out into multi-level adventure "paths"...nor are they "Baker the Barbarian" [like those are the options. honestly.].

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
None of these involve "save the world" storylines and [those that already aren't] could easily be teased out into multi-level adventure "paths"...nor are they "Baker the Barbarian" [like those are the options. honestly.].

Yah, those are all plots of classic modules or module-series. The Slave Lords series would carry you through a few levels (The Slave Lords was levels 4-7, if I recall correctly), sure.

But, WotC is trying out a new model - instead of having a sea of splatbooks and separate settings, they're doing a major adventure path, and thematic rules supplement to go along with it. If it is going to have notable rules supplementation, I don't expect the adventure section to be short.

This is probably one of the reasons for them deciding to go with some form of open license - varied adventure support will come from third parties.

Remove ads