Is it a bad sign when...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here is a question for all the old Far--- er, I mean, distinguished gamers in the community like myself.

I have a theory that Defender was the first computer game that actually had a role-playing story element. Prior to that, I do not recall any games released where you had to save others as well as destroy the enemy. Prior to that was Pong, (I believe Pac Man) and Space Invaders. In all of these, destroying the enemy was your only priority.

Anyone have a game that was an earlier contender than defender? (Defender was I believe 1981.)

Chairman_Kaga

Founder of the Gourmet Gamer Academy
By george! You may be onto something!

Scratches head...

Nope...that is the first I can remember as well...

anyone else?

Holy Bovine

First Post
LOL!

Ahhh B2 where would we have been with you?

"We Surrender!"

BTW Defender was the first RPG-element video game (but Pooyan was the best!!)

Oogar

First Post
heh. 32 years old and started playing when I was about 10 (1980 for those who are not math inclined). For a while my gaming group included a young woman who was born after that, that was a bit depressing. At the moment my group ranges from about 25 - 58, I love the variety.

Pac Man MUST have had a role play element, they made a cartoon after all. :rolleyes:

Tron was very cool, but it still couldn't beat the Star Wars saga. Mmmm what a wonderful year '77 was. I just wish I'd had a bit more money to waste on vidio games back then. :(

der_kluge

Adventurer
waxing nostalgic

Seems that most of us on here fall between the 27 and 32 year old range or so.

The game you mentioned was "Berzerk" not "Berzerker". Berzerker was the name of the Russian band mentioned in "Clerks".

The name of the bouncing face in "Berzerk" was Otto. How's that for useless trivia for you?

I had Berzerk on my Atari. Classic game. The Arcade version was devilishly hard.

Wolfspirit - *slap* go rent Tron. It's a great movie, even though the special effects (heh, almost called them graphics) are crappy by todays standards.

Henry

Autoexreginated
die_kluge, it may scare you to know that there are many of us old farts who have never seen the movie Tron. :) I haven't, and I'm 31 years old! And strangely, I still call myself a member of the old gamer farts club - though not a founder. :D

Wolf72

Explorer
Re: Sigh

Wolfspirit said:
I make my gamming group feel old when I tell them I'm 19 and have never seen Tron.

Now they've made a special phrase when I don't get a joke from something that was out before I was born "It's a Tron Refference"

god! you made me feel old just reading this!

29 ... fading so rapidly, Damn you July! I will fight your coming! ... some how :(

Remove ads