• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it a good idea to pull a lever in a dungeon?

Should you pull a lever you find in a dungeon?

• Yes. There is no reason to believe the lever is dangerous.

Votes: 114 55.3%
  • No. The lever will probably make something bad happen, or is trapped.

Votes: 92 44.7%

• Poll closed .

EricNoah

Adventurer
I would err on the side of pulling the lever. I would of course do reasonable things like inspect it, check it for traps, etc. But ultimately I want to know what it does. And I trust my DM to not punish me too harshly for my curiosity.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Although I agree with the people here who say that there is not enough information and was not going to vote, the fact that I know why this poll was created coupled with the incredible bias in the way the Yes choice was worded forced me to vote for it out of a sense of foul play on the part of the one wording the question. Come on! You put an absolute on the side you want to lose and not the other--that's blatant confirmation bias. Ironically, the side with the absolute is winning :lol:

Delta

First Post
Ha! :)

The results of these discussions are more and more convincing me that I'm a grognard and the D&D game community has evolved beyond my interest as a gamer. It makes me want to also ask things like:

- You find a pool of refreshing water in a dungeon. Should you dive into it?
- You find a banquet table of mouth-watering food in a dungeon. Should you eat it?
- You meet a beautiful woman in a dungeon, who flirts with you. Should you kiss her?

To which the obvious answers seem to be: No, No, and Run like hell.

Gold Roger

First Post
From a cautious point of view- No, it's a bad idea.

From a metagame point of view- If there's a lever, I expect something exciting to happen- no matter wether beneficial or not. It may be bad for the PC's, but it'll be beneficial for the general game. And we all know how there's rarely a group of only cautious PC's...

I'd like to point out that I'd differenciate a simple lever from a "don't push me button", like a evil altar. Never touch the evil altar.

If the lever is made of something valuable, I saw it off at the base and take it back to town to sell it. Otherwise, it is of no use to me. Of course I pull it, levers are made to be pulled, that is their function. I wouldn't want to deprive this lever of possibly its only chance to fulfill its function, how rude would that be?

Later
silver

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Gold Roger said:
I'd like to point out that I'd differenciate a simple lever from a "don't push me button", like a evil altar. Never touch the evil altar.
Right! Stand well back, and pee on it from a distance.

(...or do only my players do that?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads