• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it a good idea to pull a lever in a dungeon?

Should you pull a lever you find in a dungeon?

• Yes. There is no reason to believe the lever is dangerous.

Votes: 114 55.3%
  • No. The lever will probably make something bad happen, or is trapped.

Votes: 92 44.7%

• Poll closed .

Odhanan

Adventurer
AuraSeer said:
Right! Stand well back, and pee on it from a distance.

(...or do only my players do that?)
Reminds me of someone in the 30-years anniversary book for D&D who was describing his first game of D&D in these terms. The DM describes an evil altar and the guy says:

"I pee on it!"
The DM then says "- Oh err... sure you wanna do that?"
"- You bet I do!"
"Oh... okay. A lightning bolt shoots down from the sky and strikes you where you stand. You're dead, man."
"This game is SO COOL!"

:D

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Cannot usefully vote here as it is completely situation- and character-dependent. A low-wisdom and-or chaotic character might pull the lever just for fun...others might not. The setting the lever is in makes tons o' difference as well: is anything useful likely to come of pulling it, or is it a possibly dangerous red herring? Is it at the start of the adventure, the middle, or the end? Are there tracks around it? Dust on it? Am I bored at the time we find it? Does it radiate magic?

Never mind there's always the chance the lever will turn you to dust. :)

Lanefan

Snapdragyn

Explorer
T'lar would pull the lever. T'lar would wait until the party telling him 'Don't pull the lever!' was asleep & sneak back to pull the lever (and did). T'lar died a couple of times, almost died a lot, & went to Hades once (without a handbasket!) because he liked to pull levers. I liked T'lar. :)

Galorin wouldn't pull the lever, not because he'd think of the possible ramifications (nor could he pronounce 'ramifications') but because rogues pull levers -- Galorin fights.

Dranik would search the lever, get the other rogue in the party to doublecheck his search, consider the risks... then pull the lever if it seemed worthwhile. In fact, if he were absolutely convinced it furthered the goals of his organization, he'd pull it even if the party tried to stop him -- even if people had to die. 'A few must die to make safe the many,' that was Dranik (& the actual willingness of those few was incidental).

(IOW, it all depends on the character.)

Wik

First Post
You have to pull the lever! It's all about doing crazy stuff and then running like hell!

Mind you, I'm the guy who...

DM: Okay, you can 1,000 GP, or what's in the mystery box!
OTHER PLAYER: Hey, let's take the gol....
WIK: The box! The Box! What's in the box!?
DM: 500 GP. Aw, too bad.

silentspace

First Post
Just to repeat what others have said....

You are in a dungeon. You find a door. You do not know what is behind the door. Is it a good idea to open the door?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads